Teaching

menzies

Oh brother people! Get over yourselves!!!!!!! I hope *none* of you are in my grad cohort.

Dear Guest, I believe all of us here are in your grad cohort, duh!

if you don't feel comfortable about students finding you attractive and expressing that, stay away from academia. it's only normal for students to like their teachers, especially if they are physically attractive (but soemtimes even if they aren't), I believe it's happened to all of us some time during our highschool or college years.

I'm an attractive woman and I've had people hitting on me in thousand different contexts and situations. so I've learned how to handle both the wanted and the unwanted attention. I don't see why it should be any different while TAing. plus, as some people said, it can be a great fun if some students see you as a hot TA, and it definitely doesn't show any disrespect from them. if anything, a bit of immaturity.

you must be either an ugly person who envies all the good looking people in the world or you're an extreme moral conservative who probably doesn't even belong to the academia. academia is a relatively progressive place to be

Yes... I mean people who post anonymously on forums obviously know more about you than yourself. I forgot that. But, that does bring up a good point. I was really annoyed that people were basically saying that if female professors (there was little talk of males) do not berate students for making comments about them being attractive anonymously in an evaluation are basically unprofessional attention seeking hussies. However, I forgot that both of these anonymous types of "evaluations" are reflect the maturity and professionalism of the people writing them. They do not help you learn anything about yourself unless they help you improve. As opposed to comments about your actual performance on the job.

Guest guest

I love that everyone thinks it's perfectly okay to insult me, but are shocked, dismayed and reluctant to hear my personal, unpopular opinions in this forum. So far, I have been called an idiot, ugly, uptight, disrespectful, and ill-qualified for academia. It's a shame to see that people who are supposed to be open-minded and progressive band together against someone who shares a different viewpoint from them. So much for free ideas and open discussion. Nice forum, barista!

I love that everyone thinks it's perfectly okay to insult me, but are shocked, dismayed and reluctant to hear my personal, unpopular opinions in this forum. So far, I have been called an idiot, ugly, uptight, disrespectful, and ill-qualified for academia. It's a shame to see that people who are supposed to be open-minded and progressive band together against someone who shares a different viewpoint from them. So much for free ideas and open discussion. Nice forum, barista!

Oh please. Everyone one of us have had opinions that the majority might disgaree with. But the fact you say we're supposed to be open-minded and progressive....uh...we are. We're the ones who are saying we'd laugh about someone calling us hot without getting all serious and stern about it. You are uptight, and I will say it a hundred more times. You're saying my opinion is a shame, but it's my opinion. I was told I am seeking attention, and you accused someone else of being unprofessional. The table turns both ways. There's nothing worse than someone who wants to sit on their high horse and critize people, but when others come forward who disagree, it suddenly turns into an "everyone is attacking me" scenerio. You know why we have opinions? Because we all believe in different things, however, I am not going to respect or support an opinion that calls me unprofessional and seeking attention because I would laugh at someone calling me the HOT TA. You stated yours, I stated mine. That's how it works in the real world.

I really hope you learn to lighten up a bit and not take things so seriously. I didn't see anyone call you an idiot in this thread, and no one called you ugly either. Go back and read what bianca said. If I really wanted to keep people from free ideas and posting, I would have just deleted your post to begin with since I disagree, but instead I responded with my opinion. Why is it okay for you to state yours, but I can't state mine? Talk about discouraging free thinking. That's the pot calling the kettle black there.

Personal attacks are not discussion. Your disrespect for other people has been called into question. When I asked you to stop attacking people or to identify yourself, you refused. Being called disrespectful in this case is not an attack, but a true statement. Someone said to not let "some idiot" get them down, the comment was intended to make the person feel better after your attack on their integrity. Perhaps it could have been stated better. The last post about you being unattractive or ill-qualified for academia was unjustified, but after the continuing refusal to stop insulting other members of the forum, I feel little pity. Also, Bianca chose to stand behind her comments, rather than hiding behind a guise of anonimity. As for conseravtism or unatrractiveness, I have no basis for evaluation. Being able to deal with students in a civilized manner, even if they do not, is important. Women in general have to deal with a lot in academia and battles need to be picked. If any woman who has students making comments about her is automatically told it is her fault and she should have done something because she is "encouraging" that behavior it is definitely a viewpoint that is going to be considered an attack in the world of academic women. It is saying that women can only be attractive or intelligent and any woman who is considered attractive obviously is not worthy of respect.

You know, what people find ‘hot’ is amazing. Everyone is ‘hot’ for someone, there is nothing you can do about it and is same for both men and women. The fact tha someone says you are hot does not mean that s/he is saying you are not intelligent. Nor dos it mean you are not an expert (intelligent or not).

I suppose it would be helpful for many people who are going to be in the Academia to check for how the law defines intimidation, harassment, etc because the law expects a grown up person to be reasonably hardened to be able to withstand even some bad words and not feel intimidated.

A single comment, not vulgar, once in semester should not be such a big deal; especially because it is almost certain that the comment was made to make feel better.

On the other hand, maybe those who are worried with comments like this actually realize something-they failed to be such instructors that would make all students just talk about their great teaching. Maybe that ‘hot’ thing really is a substitute for ‘not much of an expert but OK’.

Maybe I am wrong but I d not see that anyone complaining about a few “hot

We're all pretty silly. The boy who made the comment meant no harm probably, and now a bunch of graduate students are fighting over it. I love how small things like that can trigger off other things in the future. I should have studied sociology.

guest - no harm, no foul. We just disagree. I hope you continue to post (and register).

I tried to read the last comment, but it was completely incoherent. I literally could not interpret what you were trying to say in any sentence. For the last sentence type word grouping, however I do have a comment. There is a difference between an evaluation of performance based on an entire semester of contact and a snarky post on a forum. Still, some evaluations with inappropriate comments on end of semester evaluations should be disregarded if they say nothing of your performance. These comments are indicative of the student, not the teacher. I doubt Johnny "Hot TA" is writing another evaluation of a teacher that actually assesses the value of their teaching.

As for guest, actually I won't be deleting your posts or anyone elses. I thought about it and while they are hurtful to the person you post against and annoying, but I couldn't possibly post anything that makes you look worse than your own posts. By eliminating your posts, I'd be doing you a favor by relieving you from seeing what you yourself have said. Most people who read the forum will have the intelligence to evaulate your arguments and make a decision as to their merit for themselves.

Whoa! What happened to this forum?!?! :shock:

I'm hoping to be that "Hot TA" someday. I just bought a couple of low-cut shirts, and I'm a dude! :)

They were pretty hard to find, and I'm a little nervous of looking like a pirate, but I think the students will like it. :P

I'm kidding of course. Hopefully the people on this board will going into TAing just being themselves, not do anything to make students uncomfortable, and have a little fun with their new posts. :roll:

While, I've enjoyed the "hot TA" topic, I hope nobody minds if I ask a sort of unrelated question.

I'm kind of young for grad school (19). I skipped 6th and 12th grades and am going straight out of undergrad. I will be the only grad student in the program that I am in for at least a year, so I'll also be the only person available to TA...I'm pretty sure I won't be required to teach until my second year, but then I'll be...20. Which is a little bit scary for me. My age certainly shows in appearance, too. In my last two years as an undergrad, I've taken mostly grad classes and hung out with mostly grad students, so I certainly don't *feel* young, but to play the whole "I'm more mature than my age, just get used to it" game seems, well, pretentious. I'm not really worried about having authority, so much as being an effective TA and having students at least take me seriously. I am really excited to teach, but I worry that I will have to lie about my age to get people to not think less of me. I've often had people do that when they find out my age, only to suddenly change their minds when I tell them about how I've supported myself on my own since I was 15 and am going for a PhD in the fall. I guess I'm also worried about other grad students not taking me seriously, but perhaps that's a post for a different forum. Anyways, I guess I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions from people about this.

Thank you for the change of subject. I was getting a little riled up.

As for your post, I think that anyone who doesn't take you seriously is a fool. Obviously you have worked hard and deserve to be where you are. I would not call attention to your age as some undergrads may 1) decide that because they are older than you they can manipulate you 2) they may be intimidated since you are so young yet so successful. Hopefully they will know that you shouldn't ask people their age, but if they find out so be it. If they give you a hard time about it I don't know what to tell you, but hopefully the students will be mature enough to not do that. Just act like they should respect you and they will. Try not to be to lax to make people like you or to be too harsh to make people respect you, just be the intelliegent, informed (and I am assuming helpful) person you are and students will respect you for teaching them what they need to know. I know that this is hard for a lot of people, regardless of their age, so don't feel too bad if it's hard to strike that balance at first. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Guest Debating

emma, I'm actually in the same boat, skipped two years of high school and going to grad school immediately after undergraduate. People do look down on me as soon as they find out how old I am, which upsets me, but I think it's because they're intimidated by how much I've done as PETRAL6 said. The only solution to the problem I have found is not to tell people how old I am. Once they get to know me, and eventually find out my age, it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I think I'll be doing RA my first year as opposed to a TA, but if I were to be a TA, I wouldn't tell my students my age (and I'd hope they don't find out :oops: ).

Isn't it enough that my car insurance is so expensive?!?! :roll:

I'm only a year ahead of myself (starting grad school at 21). But I've learned that if people don't take you seriously because of your age, (to use a bit of a cliche) it is typically their loss. Obviously, if you are rejected for a TAship or something because of your age, then it is your loss (obviously) but I doubt anything like that will happen, especially if you carry yourself well and have good ideas.

Guest Padraic

Ha, who would have thought people in a forum about graduate school would be would be arrogant and egotistical?

Not me. :roll:

I'm actually kinda bummed that I won't be a TA, unless I do it on top of the other assistantship I got offered. I really wanted some experience with grading papers and maybe giving a lecture or two since I'm in a master's program. I know that when I get to the PhD level, they'll probably just throw me into a classroom since I'll have a MA.

I have to tell you, one of my biggest concerns about being a TA was age... I'm also 21 (skipped a grade many years ago but went somewhere where I'd be forced to do four years of college because my mother didn't want me starting grad school at 20) but I feel a lot more mature than that mostly because all of my friends are 2-3 years older than me. I digress...

If you're worried about looking too young, dress kind of nicely at the beginning, wear some makeup to make you look older, shoes with a bit of a heel or that are a bit fancy, etc. That'll separate you from the class and let them know you mean business.

Guest butter

I don't think it's necessarily age that's a factor, but rather experience. Once you've stood up in front of the class a few semesters, your comfort level rises and so does your confidence. Having said that, it's amazing how much universities will trust a 21 year old. I mean, personally, I would be slightly disgruntled if my "professor" was the same age as I am!

Guest butter

Btw, be happy you don't have to grade papers. It is the worst part of teaching in my opinion. Having been in discussion based classrooms, I would imagine the anxiety I might feel lecturing--trying to sound interested in the sound of my own voice while my students are all Iming each other on their laptops!

Guest guest a la mode

Jan Levinson-Gould says that you should dress for the job you want, not the job you have. So dressing up a little can't hurt you. Just hope that Angela isn't in your class.

Seriously, I wouldn't go over the top in dressing up, wearing makeup, etc. Just be yourself! Teaching is tough in the beginning no matter how old you are, it will take time to get comfortable. Your nervousness is completely normal and understandable. But you will be okay!

• 1 month later...

I've been a TA for 3 years and it can be a trip sometimes. I remember at first thinking "what the hell am I doing? I am their same age!" So, I thought I had to maintain some sort of distance between me and them so I was really arrogant hardass all the time. That didn't work.

It's hard to be a TA and take classes sometimes because you are under so much stress in your daily life and you ask yourself, "why cant my students do this simple thing? why do they complain about homework? they don't know what homework is!" But then you have to realize that there is a huge difference between you and them and you don't have to be a dick in order to get respect, all you have to do is relate to them. You have to go to where they are. Most of the undergrads that you will be teaching are fresh out of high school, so most of them are semi-expecting something like a high school teacher, who is more mommy-esque. It goes without saying that no one here is fresh out of high school and has noted the difference in maturity between a high schooler and an upperclassman.

In the end, you have to teach undergrads as though they are children, but with more respect. It sounds condescending, but it's better to think this than to think that you are on the same level as them, because you are not. Your BA will be like kindergarten compared to your MA program in most cases, and most of your students will not be going on to a MA or even graduate with their BA, so don't get angry with them to be studious and diligent like you, just give them the grade they deserve and move on.

Also, I learned that it helps that if they ask how old you are, lie. Say that you are older than you are. It makes a world of difference sometimes.