PhD/DrPH in Public Health/Epidemiology Fall 2014

gks81

Hello everyone,

Just wish to know if anyone has applied for PhD/DrPH programs in Epidemiology/Public Health for Fall-2014? If yes, which schools?

Let's discuss. Wishing you best for the applications.

Regards,

GKS

Edited by gks81

I'm in the process of applying for PhD programs in Epi. Looking to stay in my home state so I'm applying to UC Irvine and UC Davis...and I MIGHT apply to Brown although I know the odds are against me. My options for school applications is limited, however, because many schools that I have looked into require prior graduate work to be admitted into the program yet I am looking to enter a PhD immediately after my undergrad. So if you only have your bachelors you may run into the same issue. What schools did you have in mind?

hopkins international health phd , Harvard epi SD , Berkeley PhD , Tulane epi PHD , Boston Univeristy epi , Pittsburgh epi Phd , George Washington epi PhD , University of Washington Phd in global health implementation Science.

i am doing a Master's degree  in clinical immunology with some classes and certificates in global health and hiv epidemiology

Edited by livenlearn

I applied for SOPH PhD programs in Epidemiology at Columbia, Tulane, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Texas at Austin. DrPH in Community and Behavioral Health at Colorado.

I was officially accepted at Texas on Tuesday, which was super surprising. Haven't heard anything from any other schools, other than stock "thanks for your application".

I graduated with an MPH in Health Behavior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2009 and have been working in research since then. Finally I'm ready to take the PhD plunge! My interest is active transportation and the built environment, so it's a little out of the box for most places (including UAB). Lots of hand wringing happening over here, but I am pumped that I've been accepted somewhere.

Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone ! Thanks so much for your response.

@garcb321: UC Irvine and UC Davis, both great schools..All the best !

@PhDbefore40: (cool name ! I have the same career goal :D) cograts on your acceptance at Univ. at Texas, Austin ! Good going ! Any other schools you have heard from? Any other schools that you have applied to?

@livenlearn: awesome school selection. I am also applying to Johns Hopkins, GW, Boston and Pittsburgh. The timeline for decisions is usually 3-6 weeks but it may take longer. Most of them said that they will get back to us till March. I think if you are accepted, you will know quite early. When did you apply? Are you a fresh graduate or joining the school again? Let us know. All the best :)

Everyone: Have you given any thought to applying to the schools which are not CEPH accredited? What do you think? Any such schools on your list?

Do keep posting if you hear about the decisions. Keep on the discussions. Take care.

Edited by gks81

Did you guys contact professors prior to applying (or just after) or have plans to do so?

i contacted my  POIs at  my top choices and was lucky enough to chat with one on skype.  others referred me  back to their websites etc

Definitely recommend contacting professors if you're applying for PhD programs. It's nice to build connections, and you have to make sure the professors have space for you in their research or lab, and related funding issues.

I second the insanity. I wish I would also stop incessantly checking the grad cafe and SDN forums 10 times a day :(

i gave up SDN    gradcafe is better ......   decisios are only coming out in feb or march argh

I have inquired from a few schools about when I might receive word regarding my application - interviews or decisions...

Tulane: "Your application is with faculty for review.  We hope to have a decision by late January, early February"

Colorado: "We expect to send all applications to the committee on or around January 15th for review. The DrPH program typically does conduct interviews, but it is not always guaranteed. If you are contacted for an interview, it will be sometime in February."

Guys, it's ok. There's no need to worry about responses yet. When I applied last year, I got my first interview offers in late Dec/early Jan (mainly January). Some schools don't even start reviewing until the new year. My first acceptance was in mid February. Now it's just a waiting game, so I would recommend that you do yourself a favor and get away from the computer/checking your status and so forth. It'll just heighten your anxiety. This stretch of month is the hardest since you FEEL like you should do something, but really there's nothing to do application-wise.

Go out and enjoy the holiday season! I'm sure you did your best on the applications, and best of luck to you all! 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, it's ok. There's no need to worry about responses yet. When I applied last year, I got my first interview offers in late Dec/early Jan (mainly January). Some schools don't even start reviewing until the new year. My first acceptance was in mid February. Now it's just a waiting game, so I would recommend that you do yourself a favor and get away from the computer/checking your status and so forth. It'll just heighten your anxiety. This stretch of month is the hardest since you FEEL like you should do something, but really there's nothing to do application-wise.

Go out and enjoy the holiday season! I'm sure you did your best on the applications, and best of luck to you all! 

Whic programs did you apply to ? if i may ask?

I'm a bit different since I did two rounds of applications (two years ago, I only got into one school and ended up declining), so both rounds combined: BU, Columbia, Hopkins, UNC, Emory, UIC, Univ of Washington, Berkeley, Harvard, Yale.  I am not as comfortable saying where I ended up, but I will say that I really do love my program :3 Good things come to those who (painfully) wait! :D

Edited by VBD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(this was cross posted on SDN sorry!)   A lot of these acceptances and such won't go out until Feb and I believe most admitted student days aren't until March/April so if you haven't heard anything at this point don't worry. Many schools don't start reviewing applications until after the new year which is annoying. Schools have ranges of time lines for various reasons so just because school X told someone in January that they were admitted doesn't mean that you have been rejected from school Y (or school X for that matter). At this point its easy to get anxious about the process but just trust that you put together a strong application, distract yourself and don't stare at your inbox all day. But if anyone has any questions about interviews/admitted student days feel free to ask--I'm in the first year of my PhD program so the memories are pretty fresh!

Hi all, I have been lurking, applied to UNC, Harvard and Johns Hopkins (epi) and UW (implementation science).  I heard today from UNC that I was accepted, hope some of you heard from them too!

Hi all, I have been lurking, applied to UNC, Harvard and Johns Hopkins (epi) and UW (implementation science).  I heard today from UNC that I was accepted, hope some of you heard from them too!

Hi Sharonnyc, do you mind sharing what area of focus you applied to at UNC? Also, congrats on the acceptance!

Edited by lsm2204

Hi Sharonnyc, do you mind sharing what area of focus you applied to at UNC? Also, congrats on the acceptance!

Hi LSM, sorry my posting wasn't so clear!  I was accepted to the Epidemiology PhD at UNC; I ranked "other" as my first choice for a track as I'm interested in general epidemiology.  I am probably a little different than a typical applicant as I already have an MD and an MPH and several years of experience at an international public health organization.

Have you heard anything from UW? i also applied there i contacted the director of the implementation track and he told me we should hear something in the next  two weeks. I just saw that last year they interviewed apllicants in mid jan. I am sure it means that i am not in.