PhD/DrPH in Public Health/Epidemiology Fall 2014

gks81

Hi LSM, sorry my posting wasn't so clear!  I was accepted to the Epidemiology PhD at UNC; I ranked "other" as my first choice for a track as I'm interested in general epidemiology.  I am probably a little different than a typical applicant as I already have an MD and an MPH and several years of experience at an international public health organization.

Thanks! It's nice to hear about applicants that are being accepted (and/or rejected), their background and research focus!

There seems to have been quite a few results posted for PhDs in epi at emory, brown (interviews), ucsf (interviews), unc, and quite a few for upitt, but not too much talk about it here! :(

I applied to phd epi programs this year and am anxiously waiting, but haven't heard anything yet!

Thanks! It's nice to hear about applicants that are being accepted (and/or rejected), their background and research focus!

There seems to have been quite a few results posted for PhDs in epi at emory, brown (interviews), ucsf (interviews), unc, and quite a few for upitt, but not too much talk about it here! :(

I applied to phd epi programs this year and am anxiously waiting, but haven't heard anything yet!

which programs did you apply to?

Edited by livenlearn

I applied to UPitt (probably rejected at this point since they seemed to have sent out so many acceptances this week), UNC, HSPH (SD) and JHSPH with a focus mainly in cancer epi. For some background, i have a master's in epidemiology and a couple first author publications. 

Edited by lsm2204

we applied to the same programs except for UNC. Argh im interested in infectious dis epi. i emailed pitt yesterday this is the reply i got from them

"The Epidemiology department has just started reviewing their applications on our school-wide deadline of January 15. We expect decisions to be made within the next 4-6 weeks, but the department will issue decisions on a rolling basis as they are made for each individual applicant."

So i think it really depends on when you submittted your application

Hi, no, I have heard nothing from UW.  Don't be pessimistic! They might just be taking longer this year than last year to get things together.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Have you heard anything from UW? i also applied there i contacted the director of the implementation track and he told me we should hear something in the next  two weeks. I just saw that last year they interviewed apllicants in mid jan. I am sure it means that i am not in.

OK I just received an email from UW saying that they have shortlisted a small number of candidates and that I should suggest some times for a skype interview...  Hope you got a similar email livenlearn!

Hi, no, I have heard nothing from UW.  Don't be pessimistic! They might just be taking longer this year than last year to get things together.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Hey All hang in there!

I just found out I have been accepted to University of Washington's PhD in Epidemiology program with a fellowship consideration...

I have an interview at the University of Michigan this weekend, and another one at Hopkins next weekend

Still waiting to hear from Harvard, and Columbia!

Congrats to all with interviews/acceptances!  Here's where I'm at so far:

UNC (PhD epi): Accepted (no interview)

UW (PhD implementation science): Program contacted me late January to set up phone interview

JHSPH (PhD epi): Program contacted me late January to set up phone interview

Harvard (ScD epi): Not a word

I thought I'd be less anxious than this but the waiting is definitely getting to me!

Hi, all,

Just joining the convo. 

I'm waiting to hear from UMN, University of Michigan (@kzkponee - when did you submit and hear about your interview), UIC, and UChicago (Health Studies).  Has anyone else heard from any of these?

Good luck all!

I have not heard from UChicago (Health Studies), but someone on another thread already set up an interview for biostats in that department, so I'm assuming it's a 'no' at this point.

You guys, I am going completely insane at this point. I submitted my application and was verified by SOPHAS in late October so it has been a WHILE.

Updates:

UT Austin (Epi PhD) - Accepted with $5,000 scholarship to pay in-state tuition, being considered for stipend

UPitt (Epi PhD) - Accepted (notified by email and post), letter said funding should be determined in a few more weeks

UMN (Epi PhD) - no word

Tulane (Epi PhD) - no word

Columbia (Epi PhD) - no word

Colorado (CBH DrPH) - no word

Sorry about your rejection epi4me, but I'm glad they are starting to notify people. I just want to hear back from these other places whether it be rejection or acceptance so I can start figuring out where my (+ fiancée and 2 dogs) life will be headed in a few months! Also want to know how much money I'm going to end up spending to visit these places :unsure:

Hey @midwestepi and @katethekitcat: I've also received an interview offer from the University of Chicago Department of Health Studies, about 10 days ago. Albeit for the Health Services Research track - so there's a chance of course that the biostats track is on a different timeline. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck!

I was just wondering how you guys are receiving contact from your programs? I have not received any responses (either rejections, acceptances, or interviews) from any schools. My issue is that I live abroad and have very slow and unreliable postal service and am hoping that decisions are not sent through the mail. Are you guys mostly hearing through email?

email.

I was just wondering how you guys are receiving contact from your programs? I have not received any responses (either rejections, acceptances, or interviews) from any schools. My issue is that I live abroad and have very slow and unreliable postal service and am hoping that decisions are not sent through the mail. Are you guys mostly hearing through email?

Has anyone heard from the Boston university, University of Maryland, Indiana University(Fairbanks School of Public Health)? Has anyone applied to/heard from the Global Institute of Public Health (NYU)?

I have only received emails; I am also living abroad (albeit in a country with a reliable postal service)

Hi all, I have been lurking, applied to UNC, Harvard and Johns Hopkins (epi) and UW (implementation science).  I heard today from UNC that I was accepted, hope some of you heard from them too!

Hi Sharonnyc!

Congratulations on your acceptance to UNC Epi! Actually today after I checked the website they sent to me and I also found myself accepted. 

My question is that do you hear anything about the financial aid/ financial package for this program yet?

They mentioned that it would be on a separate process and I am just curious about when we can be informed about this.

Thanks!

Congrats Michael!  I received an email a few days ago telling me the name of my advisor and also with a link to the page for different applications for financial aid (TA positions, etc).  It doesn't look pretty, especially for those who are out of state :(  Even the TA/RA positions do not come with full tuition funded and the stipend is not enough to live on.  I will send you the link in PM...

Hi Sharonnyc!

Congratulations on your acceptance to UNC Epi! Actually today after I checked the website they sent to me and I also found myself accepted. 

My question is that do you hear anything about the financial aid/ financial package for this program yet?

They mentioned that it would be on a separate process and I am just curious about when we can be informed about this.

Thanks!

Congrats Michael!  I received an email a few days ago telling me the name of my advisor and also with a link to the page for different applications for financial aid (TA positions, etc).  It doesn't look pretty, especially for those who are out of state :(  Even the TA/RA positions do not come with full tuition funded and the stipend is not enough to live on.  I will send you the link in PM...

I agree... Tough choice with the fact that UNC has such a great Epi program. I've sent you the PM and hope to hear from you soon :)

Has anyone heard from the Boston university, University of Maryland, Indiana University(Fairbanks School of Public Health)? Has anyone applied to/heard from the Global Institute of Public Health (NYU)?

I heard from NYU on Thursday. They are having on uncoming interview day in February.

I did get a rejection from BU on Friday, 2/7, but that was for the health services PhD. I have a couple of acceptances (Penn State and Washington), so I'm not too worried.

I did get a rejection from BU on Friday, 2/7, but that was for the health services PhD. I have a couple of acceptances (Penn State and Washington), so I'm not too worried.

I am also awaiting my rejection from BU Epi PhD. It was a reach school for me and after hearing one of the professors talk about the typical applicant pool I knew I was out of the running before I even applied. 

Edited by SheKnowsNothing