PhD/DrPH in Public Health/Epidemiology Fall 2014

gks81

Hi guys, has anyone heard from NYU?

Yes, I have an interview Friday for their Epi track through the EHS department. What track did you apply to?

I applied for the PhD in public health at the Giph, had the interview a week and a half ago, hoping to hear back soon...

How was the interview? Intense, testing or conversational? I'm kinda nervous because I knew my interviewees at my last one so I think they went easy on me.

Did you get to meet with any students?

Good luck and hope you hear back soon!

How was the interview? Intense, testing or conversational? I'm kinda nervous because I knew my interviewees at my last one so I think they went easy on me.

Did you get to meet with any students?

Good luck and hope you hear back soon!

It was several interviews with different people, overall conversational and really nice and friendly. Don't worry too much, be yourself and be clear about your research interests and future goals. Didn't meet any students since this would be the first cohort for the Institute. Really hoping for a response soon, waiting is the worst... Good luck with your interview!!

Just got rejected from Columbia (EHS).... boo! But congrats to those who got a spot! I was not expecting to get in... but I am totally jelly of you!

Really funny though, they said to improve my future application, I should visit 'Tips for Applying', which is literally just a link to the application instructions that I followed perfectly. AKA... this doesn't really help improve my future application.

Best of luck all!

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone admitted to Hopkins International Health doctoral programs has been offered a stipend. I have been admitted to the Phd International Health (Human Nutrition) with full tuition first year and 50% the rest of the program. Just trying to figure out how to make it work with the living expenses. I am an international student so i know loans are not an option.

Hi there, can't speak for International Health, but I was offered 100% tuition for the duration in the Epi doctoral program, but no stipend.  Also I'm told the class schedule is pretty brutal so working is hard, and loans are not an option for my personal situation.  Unless something magically appears I will probably decline.

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone admitted to Hopkins International Health doctoral programs has been offered a stipend. I have been admitted to the Phd International Health (Human Nutrition) with full tuition first year and 50% the rest of the program. Just trying to figure out how to make it work with the living expenses. I am an international student so i know loans are not an option.

Hi there, can't speak for International Health, but I was offered 100% tuition for the duration in the Epi doctoral program, but no stipend.  Also I'm told the class schedule is pretty brutal so working is hard, and loans are not an option for my personal situation.  Unless something magically appears I will probably decline.

That puts things into perspective for me also. Difficult choices to make. Thanks Sharonnyc.

I was admitted to the same exact program (In'tl Health, Human Nutrition at Hopkins) and also received the same information about funding (full tuition year 1, 50% tuition years 2-5, and no further information). There are a few school-wide merit-based scholarships, but I think that they are fairly limited. My perspective, which I think is shared by many here, is that it's not worth it to take out loans for a PhD in public health. 

I was admitted to the same exact program (In'tl Health, Human Nutrition at Hopkins) and also received the same information about funding (full tuition year 1, 50% tuition years 2-5, and no further information). There are a few school-wide merit-based scholarships, but I think that they are fairly limited. My perspective, which I think is shared by many here, is that it's not worth it to take out loans for a PhD in public health. 

yeah....thats true. I will email the school to find out if there are any other options. Otherwise will certainly have to weigh my options..

yeah....thats true. I will email the school to find out if there are any other options. Otherwise will certainly have to weigh my options..

Also beebee, I forgot to add - congratulations on getting accepted to the program! It's a huge achievement! I think I cut short my own celebrating by starting to think about all of the financial aspects, but it's good to remember what a great accomplishment it is.  

I think the purpose of the first-year tuition scholarship is that it gives students time to look for external funding for years 2-5. One thing I'd like to find out from the department of how many of the current continuing doctoral students have been successful in finding external funding. As for living expenses, though the tuition scholarship doesn't come with a living stipend, I think that there are probably research assistant positions available through certain professors (or work study positions if you are eligible through financial aid, which may not be the case if you are an international student). However, the downside of these RA positions is that 1) I'm not sure if they would pay enough to cover all living expenses and 2) I'm not sure if we can arrange them beforehand, or if it's up in the air until we start the program and meet different professors. So, all good things for us to be asking the department as we make our decisions! :)

grad8663 congrats to you too. I am also asking around and reaching out to current students to find out about  funding aspects, RA or TAship opportunities. I am really excited about the opportunity and hoping that i can make it work. Baltimore is not very expensive so maybe this is workable with a TA or RAship.

Congrats to you both on your acceptances to Hopkins! Please report back what you learn about RA/TA-ships...I have been told by 2 people that one is just too busy with classes to work the first year but would love confirmation/refutation!  Tough decisions ahead but we are lucky to have a choice.

Also beebee, I forgot to add - congratulations on getting accepted to the program! It's a huge achievement! I think I cut short my own celebrating by starting to think about all of the financial aspects, but it's good to remember what a great accomplishment it is.  

I think the purpose of the first-year tuition scholarship is that it gives students time to look for external funding for years 2-5. One thing I'd like to find out from the department of how many of the current continuing doctoral students have been successful in finding external funding. As for living expenses, though the tuition scholarship doesn't come with a living stipend, I think that there are probably research assistant positions available through certain professors (or work study positions if you are eligible through financial aid, which may not be the case if you are an international student). However, the downside of these RA positions is that 1) I'm not sure if they would pay enough to cover all living expenses and 2) I'm not sure if we can arrange them beforehand, or if it's up in the air until we start the program and meet different professors. So, all good things for us to be asking the department as we make our decisions! :)

Just got my rejection from Harvard Epi (Epi methods ScD track).  I knew it was coming since my POI (joint biostat/epi faculty) emailed me last week to let me know that they felt fit was better with biostatistics and that I would likely choose that (funded) offer over one from epi.  I said as much during my biostat interview so it's not they were making huge assumptions about my preference.

It is kind of a relief to tie up a loose end, though.  Congrats to those who got in!

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the program manager and she said that they were not going to do waves of admissions - rather all acceptance and rejections at the same time and they were delayed in meeting with the admission team. However, I am wondering if anyone did receive an interview?

Thanks for any information!