Dealing with Unprofessional Student Emails

Karajan

To address the original question... I've known lots of instructors who have their students email them their first assignment of the semester to address this. The instructor provides a template, giving students an opportunity to practice email etiquette. Added benefit? You have student emails in your inbox, and creating a class email list is now a breeze. 

Edited by proflorax

Just a quick reply to share my favorite place to lurk while eating lunch: 

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,29894.0.html

This is a forum on the Chronicle about horrible student emails.  Mostly they're just funny, but there's some good advice on how to deal with these emails as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick reply to share my favorite place to lurk while eating lunch: 

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,29894.0.html

This is a forum on the Chronicle about horrible student emails.  Mostly they're just funny, but there's some good advice on how to deal with these emails as well. 

"i lost totally can u send help"

Good lord, that one made me almost spit out my tea laughing. Too real! That reminds me of the infamous "I'm worried about my grade" video on YouTube -- for those who haven't seen it but have to deal with student nonsense in all forms on a regular basis, it's well worth the watch. :D

"i lost totally can u send help"

Good lord, that one made me almost spit out my tea laughing. Too real! That reminds me of the infamous "I'm worried about my grade" video on YouTube -- for those who haven't seen it but have to deal with student nonsense in all forms on a regular basis, it's well worth the watch. :D

I liked the one: "I'd like to kill you. :)"  

Who writes that?!?!