evaluation of my profile

Hello everyone,

I am applying to PhD in Political Science in the States for fall 2014. I am a female, Turkish citizen.

B.A. in Political science in Istanbul GPA: 3.19 But ranking: 2nd out of 100

Master's Degree at EHESS Paris in History and Jewish Civilizations GPA 14/20 with cum laude

one year Erasmus student at Sciences-Po de Paris

Gre: V: 155,Q: 156 AWA: 3.5

TOEFL: 101/120 (iBT)

Aside my native language Turkish, Fluent in French and English, upper-intermediate in Hebrew,

Research Experience:

a year visiting researcher in Moshe Dayan Center for Middle-Eastern Studies at Tel-Avıv Unıversity

a year junior researcher in a Think-tank based in Istanbul

6 months researcher in OECD in San Diego

I did my master's degree with Full scholarship from the French Government.

2 publications on the current Turkey and Israeli relationship

My primary interest is in US foreign policy in the Middle East through Turkey and Israel in a strategic approach.

I have already applied to University of Minnesota, George Mason University, U of Virginia, Purdue University, U of connecticut for fall 2014

intend to apply: U of Washington in Seattle (Near and Middle Eastern Studies), U of Florida, Suny at Albany, U of Buffalo, UIC, U of Delaware, U of Missisipi 

Do I have the usual credentials of the people that apply, or am I much lower than the average? The universities that I apply or intend to apply are higher than my credentials? If you have any suggestions, please share.

Hey! Your profile looks really good and solid (except for the GRE scores that are a little low for universities where GRE scores are considered important). Your research experience is impressive and American universities like the idea of having research experience in different countries. But I'm a biologist and I don't know what they are looking for exactly in your field, so you should post this in the Political Science related forum http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/36-political-science/ . I'm sure you'll get more answers there. Just remember that the international competition is much harder so even those in your field can't be sure if your profile is going to get selected. 

If you want my advice, do not convert your grades into the classic GPA system. 3.19 is considered low in the US, although it is very high in France for example. It really depends on countries. Your 14/20 in France is really good (I'm French so I know^^) but if you convert it to a 2.8 GPA it might seem really low. So keep your grades as they are. Emphasize the fact that you are 2nd out of 100 and say somewhere that the grading system is different in Turkey and in France.

Good luck ;-)

Yes, political science in the US is pretty econometrics based, you need to have  at least a 162 in q, remember for most programs that is the first filter, it is hard for them to compare you to other students as you come from a different school, country and culture so your GREs are they way to compare you. Send me a personal message with your email and I can send you the ultimate gre studing book for quant ....I got a 165 and I am not a science person so I can help.

Yes, political science in the US is pretty econometrics based, you need to have  at least a 162 in q, remember for most programs that is the first filter, it is hard for them to compare you to other students as you come from a different school, country and culture so your GREs are they way to compare you. Send me a personal message with your email and I can send you the ultimate gre studing book for quant ....I got a 165 and I am not a science person so I can help.

This is false. You do not need to have a 162 in quant to be accepted to any Political Science program even those in the top 5. 162 is not a magical cut off point. 

There is not a magical cut off but you will find very few people making it through without. I have plenty of friends in admissions commitees and most recommended that. In order to get around that you either need a LOR from someone someone in the committee knows personally etc. Again, as internationals it is harder for them to compare how does the best Turkish Univeristy compare to the best Chilean one in terms of acceptance rates? Kind of impossible to determine, how does a Belgian 16 GPA compare to a Mexican 90%....again pretty hard to tell.  So good GRE scores are the easier way, I do know a couple of internationals who had below 160 GPAs but most of them were older students (35 and above) with good GPAs from US masters so that helps a lot. 

I didn't even look at your scores really, I went straight to the experience part and it seems like you have it. NO those Uni's are not higher than your credentials, I actually thought you had Harvard, Duke, Stanford etc listed when I rechecked. You will get into one of those schools...Just don't jinx it by over-thinking! Apply and forget- then get surprised! Best wishes! Stay Hopeful :)

This is false. You do not need to have a 162 in quant to be accepted to any Political Science program even those in the top 5. 162 is not a magical cut off point. 

This. This a million times. There are people who get in, fully funded, with as low as 148 that I've seen. There are too many factors to narrow it down to a 162 quant score, even at the very top programs.