should I reveal the other programs/schools on my list?

accioanime

So I do not know if this has been discussed already, but in the online application for certain schools, they want me to list the other programs or schools that I am also applying to. I am unsure if I should just leave it blank or go ahead with it. Would this hurt or increase my chances if I write down my other choices? Why do I feel like it's a trick question...

In some ways I think it is a trick question. Because they want to know who they're up against. If it's Local State University and you've applied to Duke, Princeton, Harvard, and Yale - then it could really matter if you tell them that.

I can tell you that from what I saw in one admissions committee, they used this information in some interesting ways. If students had applied to Harvard, Yale, etc. they would sometimes say it wasn't worth it to consider them for certain funding.

For example - special funding that the department has to apply to the university for. This is because they had to be certain that if they offered the funding to that student that the student would say yes. Those who had applied to schools who could offer more were sometimes excluded from these lists because they weren't seen as likely at accept the funding and offer of admission.

So, in some ways, listing your other schools (and which schools they are) can hurt you depending on who you are telling. But this all depends on a lot of things and I can only speak from this one example, in one department, at one school

Thank you, I have been thinking along the same lines as well. I'm still debating on whether I should just leave it blank... to those who had finished their applications, did you fill it in?

Edited by accioanime

I was completely honest on my applications last year, and not only did it not hurt me, but it became a central talking point with my POIs (who all brought up my answer without fail).  It seemed they used my answer to evaluate how well I had researched my fit with each program, as well as my research fit with each advisor.  It was something easy to discuss in interviews with my POIs which demonstrated that I had thoroughly considered my options and had a clear plan for what I was hoping to accomplish.  

My advice is that if you feel 100% confident that you whittled your school list down to all good fits - you have nothing to hide and everything to be proud of.  If anything, my Ivy-tier schools seemed impressed that I wasn't a snob and my less than name brand schools were impressed that I was informed enough about my research topic to be following the work of individual POIs and not just shopping the top shelf of US News.

• 1 month later...

I was completely honest on my applications last year, and not only did it not hurt me, but it became a central talking point with my POIs (who all brought up my answer without fail).  It seemed they used my answer to evaluate how well I had researched my fit with each program, as well as my research fit with each advisor.  It was something easy to discuss in interviews with my POIs which demonstrated that I had thoroughly considered my options and had a clear plan for what I was hoping to accomplish.  

My advice is that if you feel 100% confident that you whittled your school list down to all good fits - you have nothing to hide and everything to be proud of.  If anything, my Ivy-tier schools seemed impressed that I wasn't a snob and my less than name brand schools were impressed that I was informed enough about my research topic to be following the work of individual POIs and not just shopping the top shelf of US News.

THIS is exactly what I wanted to say. I havent applied yet (next season) but have been working on narrowing down my list. There are about 15-20 professors who are well known in my field and I could see myself working with. From here, I will narrow my list by location  (to places where my fiance can find good jobs in his area). I am actually really hoping to get asked this actually because it will prove how well I know my field and that im not just after prestigous schools. All of these professors are connected to one another and seeing all of their schools names on the list will show that I am applying to the schools with the best research fit. If you are realy applying for the right reasons and to the right departments then this question should be really helpful in proving that.