Benefits/drawbacks of getting an MA/MS before a PhD in I/O Psych

SuperiorDesign

Can anyone offer any guidance about the merits (or drawbacks) of applying to an I/O Psychology Master's program before applying to a PhD? I'm 90% certain I want a PhD because I'd like research and potentially to teach. But I've been out of undergrad for about 5 years, my degree is in Sociology, and I don't have much solid research experience besides my senior thesis. I am aware that most Master's Programs aren't funded, but are there any other reasons for/against a Master's that you can offer? Thanks!

I think another drawback would be that you would have to go through the application process again in two years, for what that may be worth.

I have heard that not all Masters Programs feature the advisor/advisee relationship that you would get in a PhD program..

There's a chance that PhD programs won't take all the credits from your Master's program.

On the other hand, with your Bachelor's degree being in a different field, it may strengthen your application. Additionally, finding good paying jobs with a Master's in I/O is very possible. There are some funded Master's programs out there.

Funded or unfunded, make sure it's a mentor-based program.

I went through an unfunded master's program (of course, I'm not in I/O) and it was the best choice for me. I'm really happy with the experiences I had and the outcome from it (I'm in a PhD program now), as well as the personal growth that occurred BEFORE I got to my PhD program.

A master's would give you the opportunity to get some solid research experience (if you pick a good program) and would help you be sure that you want to continue on in I/O and that you really want to get a PhD.

Lack of research experience, being five years out of school (what about letters of recommendation? what about the GRE?), and - I'm assuming - a lack of experience/knowledge about I/O practice:  all these things are big obstacles to getting into a PhD program.  I'm not saying they are deal-breakers.  I'm just saying they are obstacles.

Or maybe you work in the field?  (You didn't say how you got interested in I/O.)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Bren2014

Sorry, to answer the above poster's question, I don't work in I/O directly, but I do have I/O functions in my job. I am Myer's Briggs certified, I have created performance assessments, been involved in efforts to boost employee productivity etc. I also have an undergrad degree from Harvard (not sure if this matters) with a 3.7 GPA, and my Honors Thesis was about tangentially related to organizational effectiveness (a study examining the efficacy of diversity efforts on providing access to first-generation college students at Ivy league schools). I also did an independent study on the correlation between skin color and wage for Latin American immigrants in the US. 

Edited by SuperiorDesign

Sorry, to answer the above poster's question, I don't work in I/O directly, but I do have I/O functions in my job. I am Myer's Briggs certified, I have created performance assessments, been involved in efforts to boost employee productivity etc. I also have an undergrad degree from Harvard (not sure if this matters) with a 3.7 GPA, and my Honors Thesis was about tangentially related to organizational effectiveness (a study examining the efficacy of diversity efforts on providing access to first-generation college students at Ivy league schools). I also did an independent study on the correlation between skin color and wage for Latin American immigrants in the US. 

Thanks for answering that, SuperiorDesign.

Both of your research experiences sound much more sociological than psychological. 

Your experience creating performance assessments would be related to I/O.  I am assuming they were fairly straightforward criterion measures, right?   Have you read the research literature on performance measurement?  If you have relevant experiences, lack of I/O coursework in your undergrad becomes less of an issue, but you should have a solid idea of what I/O is and what topics are considered I/O topics.  (You may have this; I don't know.)  If you have experience with statistical software on your job, that's a great plus.

A master's program would give you a solid foundation in I/O topics and give you some good direction on specific topics you might want to research in a PhD program. 

Edited by Bren2014

My only advice would be to choose a master's program carefully. My undergraduate school has a highly ranked Ph.D. I/O program, as well as a terminal master's (non-thesis) I/O program. Multiple times throughout undergrad, my professors have reiterated that if you complete a master's program that does not require you to complete a thesis, getting into a Ph.D. program subsequently is really hard. 

Hopefully this helps! I think it's worth keeping in mind as you browse potential programs. 

My only advice would be to choose a master's program carefully. My undergraduate school has a highly ranked Ph.D. I/O program, as well as a terminal master's (non-thesis) I/O program. Multiple times throughout undergrad, my professors have reiterated that if you complete a master's program that does not require you to complete a thesis, getting into a Ph.D. program subsequently is really hard. 

Hopefully this helps! I think it's worth keeping in mind as you browse potential programs.

I disagree and it is not necessarily "harder" to get into a phd program after a terminal masters degree. If the masters program does not have a thesis look for a position or volunteer in a research lab so you can continue to amass research experience. I have been in couple labs that was supportive of my independent research and I was able to produce a publication out of it. In essence, it was my "thesis" and I feel that this is really helping with my application process. Remember, research experience is the most that counts for the application so whether it is a thesis, lab experience, or a research job, you need the experience if you want a shot at a phd program.

I disagree and it is not necessarily "harder" to get into a phd program after a terminal masters degree. If the masters program does not have a thesis look for a position or volunteer in a research lab so you can continue to amass research experience. I have been in couple labs that was supportive of my independent research and I was able to produce a publication out of it. In essence, it was my "thesis" and I feel that this is really helping with my application process. Remember, research experience is the most that counts for the application so whether it is a thesis, lab experience, or a research job, you need the experience if you want a shot at a phd program.

Denim makes a good point. There are many ways to become involved in research, and a thesis is only one of them. I was just advising you to keep it in mind as you navigate programs because having a thesis might make it easier to acquire the experience you'll need for application season.