Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2014

King_Maro

Hopefully it will mean your status will be updated within the next couple of days. On my one and only admit so far, the status actually still says "Under Evaluation", and then at the bottom of the page "Decision Status: Available Beginning 2/13/2014". I figure the "Under Evaluation" is the status they set when the committee is actively reviewing your file, and in my case it was never changed. Maybe the email you got means something along the way. I got the admission email about a week after the status was updated, and then a flimsy letter thru the post with the decision. 

I imagine they sent out that mail to quell the masses, because they are aware that this is the busy week in terms of responses. I havent gotten any other responses so far. I'm really hoping to hear something soon. I was offered full funding on my LSU admit, and I will have to give an answer back soon. The full funding decision came in a little over a month after the admit.

I just hope I have a response from the other universities before the time is up. I have until April 16th to decide. There were a couple of NCSU rejections popping up in the results search, so I'm hoping maybe not having heard anything might be good. I just hope they are not simply keeping me on a waiting list and not telling me about it. I asked a friend who is currently doing her PhD at TAMU to ask around about the admissions, but she hasnt gotten back to me.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to email the department inquiring about my status, or just wait it out? 

*Edit* Forgot to mention that the full funding is only for the first two years, and only covers tuition fees... so actually its not full funding, its a full tuition award. The letter was very specific that this award was NOT RENEWABLE in big bold letters. So I guess I'll have to hunt down an assistantship before my award is up. Thankfully the Fulbright scholarship im applying thru will provide a maintenance for the first two years, else i would be left out in the cold.

Edited by SgtP3pp3r

Hey Guys. I have been rejected from Vanderbilt University. There was no mail or website update. I just called the person in charge and asked. However, no hard feeling for this one. I just applied to take advantage of the "no admission fee" policy! it seems that the joke is on me!!  :D Also, I got a mail from Tufts University declaring that "Your official admission decision will be available online shortly." Don't know what exactly "shortly" means! Any ideas?

I think shortly means it probably will be released this week and it is probably a good news !

Good luck!

Hopefully it will mean your status will be updated within the next couple of days. On my one and only admit so far, the status actually still says "Under Evaluation", and then at the bottom of the page "Decision Status: Available Beginning 2/13/2014". I figure the "Under Evaluation" is the status they set when the committee is actively reviewing your file, and in my case it was never changed. Maybe the email you got means something along the way. I got the admission email about a week after the status was updated, and then a flimsy letter thru the post with the decision. 

I imagine they sent out that mail to quell the masses, because they are aware that this is the busy week in terms of responses. I havent gotten any other responses so far. I'm really hoping to hear something soon. I was offered full funding on my LSU admit, and I will have to give an answer back soon. The full funding decision came in a little over a month after the admit.

I just hope I have a response from the other universities before the time is up. I have until April 16th to decide. There were a couple of NCSU rejections popping up in the results search, so I'm hoping maybe not having heard anything might be good. I just hope they are not simply keeping me on a waiting list and not telling me about it. I asked a friend who is currently doing her PhD at TAMU to ask around about the admissions, but she hasnt gotten back to me.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to email the department inquiring about my status, or just wait it out? 

*Edit* Forgot to mention that the full funding is only for the first two years, and only covers tuition fees... so actually its not full funding, its a full tuition award. The letter was very specific that this award was NOT RENEWABLE in big bold letters. So I guess I'll have to hunt down an assistantship before my award is up. Thankfully the Fulbright scholarship im applying thru will provide a maintenance for the first two years, else i would be left out in the cold.

In my case, I wait to see the first results in results page and then I will go on and ask about the application status. There is still time. The results of the rest will come back soon.

Got Rej. Letter for Caltech.Expected

Caltech is crazy competitive! I wanted to apply for them. POI told me that they tend to just admit their own master student for PhD. And I think they have the lowest acceptance rate! Around 7 percent or so. Don't worry over it too much. Hopefully you will get in UIUC and Purdue.  :)

Caltech is crazy competitive! I wanted to apply for them. POI told me that they tend to just admit their own master student for PhD. And I think they have the lowest acceptance rate! Around 7 percent or so. Don't worry over it too much. Hopefully you will get in UIUC and Purdue.  :)

It seems they gave three offer this year....according to my friend, who got an offer of Ph.D of Geo in CME. He correspondent with the Coordinator and she told him that 

Hey Mostafa. have you got your offer yet?

Nope! This is the reason I am worried a little bit! I don't know if the current results announced in results page are for structural group. your friend is accepted in CMU for PhD in Civil (Geo)? When did he/she got accepted?

Well, im closing off March Week 3 without any more responses. Hopefully we'll all have good luck on Week 4. According to the graphic, this is the big one.

I've started to dislike weekends because I know I won't be getting any responses until monday...

Well, im closing off March Week 3 without any more responses. Hopefully we'll all have good luck on Week 4. According to the graphic, this is the big one.

I've started to dislike weekends because I know I won't be getting any responses until monday...

Hey buddy. I feel exactly the same toward the weekends!  :huh:

Ok Guys. I have been admitted to the 9-month master program at CMU with the famous 12500 "Service Assistantship". It means that, in case of accepting this offer, I have to pay around 50000 for the first year! Boy that is expensive!! And after finishing the master there will be no guarantee for being accepted to PhD (although personally I like to take the challenge!). CMU is one of the best but ....! I don't know! Let's see about other universities.

Ditto!! Feel exactly the same.

Haha. I feel the opposite, Weekends is the time that I could go to bed late and get up in the morning not worring about checking my mailbox in 6.am in the morning because the time zone!  I always get their decision letters in about half past 2 am in the morning ,and everyday when I woke up in the morning, the first thing I do is checking my mailbox using my phone. ......haha, I hope this could end soon...

Nope! This is the reason I am worried a little bit! I don't know if the current results announced in results page are for structural group. your friend is accepted in CMU for PhD in Civil (Geo)? When did he/she got accepted?

Sorry for My misinterpretation.Buddy.  My friend got offer from Caltech for Ph.D in Civil(geo), and Caltech seem just gave three offer this year. 

Best wishes for your CMU application!

In case any of you guys are interested, I called the person in charge in Virginia tech and Columbia. The Virginia one told that they are rushing toward decisions and currently working on them. The Columbia one told that the results should be back in 2 weeks!

Hey guys, 

I think this week is the week that most of the admission results will be released. As it seen from the recent posts, most of the releases will be "rejected", but there is still hope' let’s wait, miracles do happen...Good luck to all of us...

Edited by mobid

Ok so I got good news, and i got bad news.

The bad news is that i managed to contact the graduate coordinator at Texas A&M, and he said that he did not receive my application from graduate admissions... This means that he has not even reviewed my file yet, due to some unknown problem. Neither he, nor I knew why. On the application information system (AIS) page, it stated that everything was fine and dandy, and that Civil Engineering had access to review my application... however this was not true. 

The good news was he seemed interested and enthusiastic about reviewing my application and asked that i send all the application documents directly to his email address while graduate admissions sorted out what happened. So at least I haven't been rejected from TAMU yet.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't trust the AIS. Hopefully i'll get a response relatively soon, since I have a deadline on my tuition award at LSU. I explained this in the email, which will hopefully help me out in terms of speeding things up. I just hope I won't be put in a position where I have to decide whether or not to decline the offer from LSU without even having gotten a response from TAMU or NCSU.

NCSU has been silent throughout, and am thinking about reaching out to them as well. Not graduate admissions, but specifically the graduate coordinator in Civil Engineering.

Ok so I got good news, and i got bad news.

The bad news is that i managed to contact the graduate coordinator at Texas A&M, and he said that he did not receive my application from graduate admissions... This means that he has not even reviewed my file yet, due to some unknown problem. Neither he, nor I knew why. On the application information system (AIS) page, it stated that everything was fine and dandy, and that Civil Engineering had access to review my application... however this was not true. 

The good news was he seemed interested and enthusiastic about reviewing my application and asked that i send all the application documents directly to his email address while graduate admissions sorted out what happened. So at least I haven't been rejected from TAMU yet.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't trust the AIS. Hopefully i'll get a response relatively soon, since I have a deadline on my tuition award at LSU. I explained this in the email, which will hopefully help me out in terms of speeding things up. I just hope I won't be put in a position where I have to decide whether or not to decline the offer from LSU without even having gotten a response from TAMU or NCSU.

NCSU has been silent throughout, and am thinking about reaching out to them as well. Not graduate admissions, but specifically the graduate coordinator in Civil Engineering.

That's really awkward!

btw who did you contact? I thought the program coordinator at TAMU is a female: Laura Byrd.

I just contacted her yesterday concerning the results and that's her reply"

"We have received your request for the status of your application.  The reviewers are hard at work evaluating the hundreds of applications received along with their regular duties of teaching, grading, etc.  All decisions will be posted on your AIS webpage as soon as they are determined"

Anw good luck man, results seems to be late this year since the fund is decreasing in structural engineering!

That's really awkward!

btw who did you contact? I thought the program coordinator at TAMU is a female: Laura Byrd.

I just contacted her yesterday concerning the results and that's her reply"

"We have received your request for the status of your application.  The reviewers are hard at work evaluating the hundreds of applications received along with their regular duties of teaching, grading, etc.  All decisions will be posted on your AIS webpage as soon as they are determined"

Anw good luck man, results seems to be late this year since the fund is decreasing in structural engineering!

I have a friend who is currently a PhD Candidate for Structural Engineering at TAMU, and I asked her to inquire about the status of my application. She managed to speak with someone who had knowledge of the application process, and everything I mentioned above resulted from her conversation directly with him. Apparently they looked me up among the applicants, and I wasn't listed. 

The response you posted seems like the standard response one can expect from the department. Today I sent a service ticket to graduate admissions, and a few minutes ago they replied that my application had been made available to Civil Engineering, and I should inquire with them as to the status. I imagine, they mean for me to contact the person you mention. I also suppose, when I send an email to Civil Engineer, it is very likely that I will get a similar response to the one you posted.

Anyway, i'll write them as a follow up, and then play the waiting game.

Just as a follow up, I wrote the TAMU graduate admissions, and civil engineering departments and they both confirmed that my application was in fact available to the admission committee. So, i'm hoping the whole mix up was just a misunderstanding.

In the email they sent me it said they would let me know as soon as a decision was available, but it also said the response from TAMU could come as late as the end of april :S

I really, really hope i get a response sooner than then.

I also wrote NCSU and they said my decision was not yet available from the admissions committee on my application, she said she would make an inquiry.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but maybe i got an admit and funding is up for discussion. I'm trying to stay positive.

Just as a follow up, I wrote the TAMU graduate admissions, and civil engineering departments and they both confirmed that my application was in fact available to the admission committee. So, i'm hoping the whole mix up was just a misunderstanding.

In the email they sent me it said they would let me know as soon as a decision was available, but it also said the response from TAMU could come as late as the end of april :S

I really, really hope i get a response sooner than then.

I also wrote NCSU and they said my decision was not yet available from the admissions committee on my application, she said she would make an inquiry.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but maybe i got an admit and funding is up for discussion. I'm trying to stay positive.

LoooL @ TAMU! like seriously?! End of April?! somebody should let them know that the majority of the students have to reply to their offers by April 15!

I thought they have a good program and they should be targeting high caliber students!  well, I am not sue anymore...

Edited by King_Maro

LoooL @ TAMU! like seriously?! End of April?! somebody should let them know that the majority of the students have to reply to their offers by April 15!

I thought they have a good program and they should be targeting high caliber students!  well, I am not sue anymore...

It seems that UCLA too will announce the results by April 30th!

Edited by Mostafa64