Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2014

King_Maro

I got an admit from LSU.

I havent gotten the official email with info about possibility of financial aid, or tuition waivers, but on the application website I got a congratulations notification, telling me i had been admitted. I actually think they had literally just posted it up, because I checked the website this morning and had no response, and when i did my routinely OCD application website check at lunch, the decision was up.

I'm really glad this came thru, now I'm crossing my fingers I get an offer, and a positive response from the other universities i applied to.

:)

I couldn't say. Usually, if the university can offer funding, they mention something along the way of it on the department website. You could also try contacting someone at the department to inquire about it, but maybe the best course of action is to wait it out.

Now, I applied for a PhD so my experience might be a little different; but what I tried to do, was research the program and faculty at a university extensively before applying. Then I would contact faculty at the University before applying and would ask if support might be within the realm of possibility if I applied. I'd give them the gist of my work experience, situation, and why I felt I was a good fit for their research group. I also offered to send my CV and transcripts if they needed to make a better assessment. 

Most of the time the faculty members wouldn't respond, but a few of them did. Some showed interest off the bat, and encouraged me to apply, while others bluntly said they wouldn't be taking in students. In the end, I only applied to programs where at least one faculty member with similar research interests as my own recommended that I apply. If their response was ambiguous, didn't seem interested in me, or I got nothing in the way of encouragement then I didn't apply. If you made contact with someone before applying, maybe you could inquire with them.

A lot of big name Universities fell off my list of applications on account of not getting a positive response from faculty, but then again, maybe it wasn't in my best interest to work under someone who would not give me 5 mins of their time for an honest opinion. 

Hi every body;

My credentials are as follows:

- Undergrad: Civil, GPA 3.96, ranked 2nd, SUT

- Master's: Earthquake Engineering, GPA 4.00, ranked 1st, SUT

- GRE: verbal 155, quant 169, writing 3.5

- Paper: one under submission

The universities I've applied to:

UIUC, Berkeley, Austin, VirginiaTech, Davis, Boulder, Washington, Buffalo, Columbia, USC, Colorado State, Oregon State, Northeastern, and Tufts

Unfortunately, I haven't received any message from any of the above universities, yet, but I'm sure it is too soon to expect any answer and answers may start to be received by us after 15-February. So, be patient ;-)

Hey Msaln, Really great stats. More importantly the results of your undergrad and master work in Sharif. I know how difficult it is as I was in UT for undergrad. By the way, just out of curiosity, do you apply for Prof. Moaveni in Tufts? Hope you all the best.

I got an admit from LSU.

I havent gotten the official email with info about possibility of financial aid, or tuition waivers, but on the application website I got a congratulations notification, telling me i had been admitted. I actually think they had literally just posted it up, because I checked the website this morning and had no response, and when i did my routinely OCD application website check at lunch, the decision was up.

I'm really glad this came thru, now I'm crossing my fingers I get an offer, and a positive response from the other universities i applied to.

:)

Congratulations Buddy. It is one of the best things that can happen to you in the application season. An early response. Going through the rest of the process will be much easier in this case! :lol:

I got my first rejection today from University of Michigan. It would be nice if my first result was an acceptance. Anyway .... Let's hope for the best!

Edited by Mostafa64

Hey Msaln, Really great stats. More importantly the results of your undergrad and master work in Sharif. I know how difficult it is as I was in UT for undergrad. By the way, just out of curiosity, do you apply for Prof. Moaveni in Tufts? Hope you all the best.

Hi Mostafa64... thanks for your complimentary comments on my CV, for sure yours is great too.

Actually yep, I have applied for Prof. Moaveni's research assistantship... have you received any response from him yet?

Hi Mostafa64... thanks for your complimentary comments on my CV, for sure yours is great too.

Actually yep, I have applied for Prof. Moaveni's research assistantship... have you received any response from him yet?

Not yet. I think it is still early for Tufts to give back the results. Around mid or late march, I think, will be the time for them to reply back. The interesting thing is that there is a good chance for us to be colleagues :) . Anyway, good  luck on your applications. 

Edited by Mostafa64

Not yet. I think it is still early for Tufts to give back the results. Around mid or late march, I think, will be the time for them to reply back. The interesting thing is that there is a good chance for us to be colleagues :) . Anyway, good  luck on your applications. 

Yes, I think so :)

I wish you luck, too ;)

Hey Everyone

I received a mail from UC Davis Stating: 

"Thank you for your interest in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of California, Davis. The Graduate Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications at this time. We expect to have admissions decisions by April 15, 2014."

It seems that they are waiting until the last minute!

Hey Everyone

I received a mail from UC Davis Stating: 

"Thank you for your interest in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of California, Davis. The Graduate Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications at this time. We expect to have admissions decisions by April 15, 2014."

It seems that they are waiting until the last minute!

Yeah, 

Judging from results postings from previous years, some of my universities do the same... It's unnerving because it means I might have to make a decision before I have received responses from all programs. I don't know if this is some sort of strategy on their part (if that would make any sense)...  or just plainly leaving things until the last minute like you said.

A friend of mine called me today saying that she got a letter from UCB stating that her materials have been forward to the institution for reviewing.She has passed the Department review. It is MS/Ph.D. program in Structural Engineering. 

Anyone know that when will the rejection letter come, I also applied UCB's structrual and No single word from them. I am afraid I could be rejected.

And one of my friends got an offer from Caltech. I am really proud of them.

But,It is quite torturing when you are waiting for the dream school with great expectations and fearing of the rejection. God, it quite annoying a thing, how I wish I could know these results now, no matter whether they are Ad, offer or rejection.

I recently got an offer for MS in Structural Engineering from Texas A&M and SUNY-Buffalo .

GRE 326 (W 167 V 159 A 3.5)

TOEFL 117

GPA 8.49/10

2 PROJECTS

1 INTERNSHIP

Waiting for Purdue,UIUC,UT Austin ,Georgia Tech

Any one admitted in Texas A&M ?

How is the reputation of the program ?

I recently got an offer for MS in Structural Engineering from Texas A&M and SUNY-Buffalo .

GRE 326 (W 167 V 159 A 3.5)

TOEFL 117

GPA 8.49/10

2 PROJECTS

1 INTERNSHIP

Waiting for Purdue,UIUC,UT Austin ,Georgia Tech

Any one admitted in Texas A&M ?

How is the reputation of the program ?

I'm waiting on a decision for structural engineering, but for phd, from Texas A&M. I've been checking the ais like mad, but in status it still says that the department has my papers for review and will contact me if anything else is needed. Congratulations on your admit!

Maybe they do masters first then phd slots, or maybe thats just wishful thinking. This doesnt bode to well for me :S

y GPA - 8.51(till 7th sem) TOEFL - 99. I am going to write my GRE by June. I just received an offer for MS in structures from Politecnico Di Milano Italy. I checked QS world ranking, its been ranked 18th for structures. But one of my friends is advising me to write GRE and go for USA. The only problem is by writing GRE nw I might be able to secure admission in FALL 2015. i ll be losing a year + i ll be losing politecnico + i have already secured a job which i have to give up. Kindly help me. shld i go for Polimi or USA??
I applied for hk univ bt chances are quite slim. they hv only 1 intake per year. 

I'm waiting on a decision for structural engineering, but for phd, from Texas A&M. I've been checking the ais like mad, but in status it still says that the department has my papers for review and will contact me if anything else is needed. Congratulations on your admit!

Maybe they do masters first then phd slots, or maybe thats just wishful thinking. This doesnt bode to well for me :S

I think they start with masters first. Just take a look at the results page. There are several masters already announced.This is not the case for Phds.

I got admitted to UofT and UC Berkeley.

I applied to MIT (I know, not good for structural, but for the reputation), UIUC, and Stanford. I read in other forums that MIT is sending out all its MS admissions by the first week of March. So I am checking my email every minute...

Good luck to all.

I got admitted to UofT and UC Berkeley.

I applied to MIT (I know, not good for structural, but for the reputation), UIUC, and Stanford. I read in other forums that MIT is sending out all its MS admissions by the first week of March. So I am checking my email every minute...

Good luck to all.

Congratulations Amirali. Can you kindly put your stats too? Have you received any funding?

Edited by Mostafa64

Congratulations Amirali. Can you kindly put your stats too? Have you received any funding?

Thanks Mostafa!

GRE: V:154, Q:165, A: 4.0

GPA: 3.81

Work/Research: 8 months internship & 12 months research, and 1 publication. 

Regarding fundings, they said on their admission letter that they will send another letter with information on funding. No funding decisions were made at the time of admissions. 

Thanks Mostafa!

GRE: V:154, Q:165, A: 4.0

GPA: 3.81

Work/Research: 8 months internship & 12 months research, and 1 publication. 

Regarding fundings, they said on their admission letter that they will send another letter with information on funding. No funding decisions were made at the time of admissions. 

Congratulation! I heard that Stanford mailed their admission decisions through mail!!!! And they sent them out on 18. Feb. Can not believe that. But I still got nothing or heard anything from Stanford....   

Congratulation! I heard that Stanford mailed their admission decisions through mail!!!! And they sent them out on 18. Feb. Can not believe that. But I still got nothing or heard anything from Stanford....   

Thanks! The Grad Cafe Admission Results site, shows people who are accepted on the 28th of February. Are you sure? 

Thanks! The Grad Cafe Admission Results site, shows people who are accepted on the 28th of February. Are you sure? 

Quite sure. I know somebody got his acceptance letter by mail. which is sent on 18th. Feb. I am writing a request letter to the office.

I got my acceptance to Stanford on February 3rd for Masters! I am not sure if you are unsure about when PhD's were accepted... But yes, it was through postal. Still waiting on UT and MIT...... I thought MIT would be this week, but as it is closing out and no one has posted, it is making me anxious....

I got my acceptance to Stanford on February 3rd for Masters! I am not sure if you are unsure about when PhD's were accepted... But yes, it was through postal. Still waiting on UT and MIT...... I thought MIT would be this week, but as it is closing out and no one has posted, it is making me anxious....

MIT released their admission Decisions.  Got the expected Rejection letter.....