Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2014

King_Maro

So, I never heard back from UIC and WPI.

The application to these two universities was more of a hassle than the other three, and on their websites my status is marked as incomplete. I tried and tried to update the information that it listed as missing (which was in fact sent), and had no luck. Resent the results from ETS (for WPI), reuploaded my transcripts, and now they say they want transcripts in the original language as well (for UIC), despite LASPAU having told me there would be no need. I'll be surprised if my status ever changes from incomplete.

Jeez, i'm real glad I did not end up depending on these applications. They never even took off!

Just blowing off some steam. Sorry to vent out here guys. I can't wait for this whole application process to be over.

For any applicants reading this in the future, be sure that even when you have good news this is a stressful ordeal. I'm not sure how helpful discovering thegradcafe has been for me. I think it might have done more harm than good. I end up checking results every 3 hours. Even now, when I am only waiting back on one University, it's a hassle. I guess the only "helpful" part is seeing in the forums that I am not alone in the suffering. In my particular case, I'll be glad when April 17th comes around, and then my decision will have to be rendered. I am 99% sure what my decision will be (and i am real excited about it!), however that 1% is what keeps me up at night.

That damned "what if". 

I called USC and asked them to inform me of decision. The woman on the line told me that we should wait for the mail and there is no other way around it! What if the mail doesn't find me in the time limit?! :blink:

yes, that's always the case for USC. Did you try to contact the professor? They usually would imply something if you were being accepted.

BTW, any news from washington-seattle?

yes, that's always the case for USC. Did you try to contact the professor? They usually would imply something if you were being accepted.

BTW, any news from washington-seattle?

Nope!! Nothing yet! 

Still nothing and it is almost April,15th! I have 7 more universities to go, including Columbia, Virginia Tech, UC Davis, USC, UCLA, Washington, and Arizona! It seems that there is no way that all the results will be back on time! So, I am confused. Should I accept the current offers? Should I ask for an extension in decision period from the current universities and wait for the rest? In this case, will my VISA be ready in time? And lots of similar questions! 

What a roller-coaster!

Today I received a letter of clarification from TAMU indicating I just might have been admitted to the PhD program after all! I am so freaking confused right now...

I received an email with a letter from the Director of the Graduate Program Office stating that I was being recommended for admission to the PhD program. However, I also have a letter from the Director of Admissions saying I was admitted to the Master of Science program!

WTF!

I have no idea what to believe. The Civil Engineering department sent me the letter from the Director of Graduate Program Office (saying PhD), after I inquired about whether or not the MS decision was a mistake. I don't want to build castles in the sand, because the letter from the Director of Graduate Program Office (saying PhD), says clearly that it is not the official letter. I think the one from Graduate Admissions (saying MS) is the official one, however it leads me to believe they made a mistake!

If the CE department, the Graduate Programs Office, and the Admissions Committee all agree I was admitted to the PhD program, can Graduate Admissions really override that and say I will only be admitted to MS program?? I wrote them all asking WTF (nicely of course), and hopefully I will get a quick reply. So far they have been replying quite swiftly, hopefully I can get clarification before the final weekend and enjoy a much needed respite during Easter week. Is anyone else applying to TAMU? Has anyone had as much difficulty as me or had any news? What about NCSU? Anyone?

Edit: Just to clarify, I have NOT received anything thru the postal mail yet. All of this was electronic, thru email and the AIS.

Edited by SgtP3pp3r

What a roller-coaster!

Today I received a letter of clarification from TAMU indicating I just might have been admitted to the PhD program after all! I am so freaking confused right now...

I received an email with a letter from the Director of the Graduate Program Office stating that I was being recommended for admission to the PhD program. However, I also have a letter from the Director of Admissions saying I was admitted to the Master of Science program!

WTF!

I have no idea what to believe. The Civil Engineering department sent me the letter from the Director of Graduate Program Office (saying PhD), after I inquired about whether or not the MS decision was a mistake. I don't want to build castles in the sand, because the letter from the Director of Graduate Program Office (saying PhD), says clearly that it is not the official letter. I think the one from Graduate Admissions (saying MS) is the official one, however it leads me to believe they made a mistake!

If the CE department, the Graduate Programs Office, and the Admissions Committee all agree I was admitted to the PhD program, can Graduate Admissions really override that and say I will only be admitted to MS program?? I wrote them all asking WTF (nicely of course), and hopefully I will get a quick reply. So far they have been replying quite swiftly, hopefully I can get clarification before the final weekend and enjoy a much needed respite during Easter week. Is anyone else applying to TAMU? Has anyone had as much difficulty as me or had any news? What about NCSU? Anyone?

Edit: Just to clarify, I have NOT received anything thru the postal mail yet. All of this was electronic, thru email and the AIS.

That's so awkward man!

what did it turn out to be at the end?

I have applied to TAMU but haven't heard back from them yet, so I am not optimistic about the results. I guess even if I was admitted it will be w/out funding

I decided to got to Gatech for my graduate study. Though UIUC, UT Austin, Purdue , UWM, UC Davis and Stanford are  pending. 

I could not stand that waiting process any more. 

Besides, Gatech is a great option for me.

I decided to got to Gatech for my graduate study. Though UIUC, UT Austin, Purdue , UWM, UC Davis and Stanford are  pending. 

I could not stand that waiting process any more. 

Besides, Gatech is a great option for me.

That is great man. Actually I decided to go to CMU. This will be my third master! Hopefully there won't be any hassle in VISA acquisition process!

That is great man. Actually I decided to go to CMU. This will be my third master! Hopefully there won't be any hassle in VISA acquisition process!

Best luck  buddy! If you could choose some CS related courses in CMU I think, That would be helpful for your future career.

That's so awkward man!

what did it turn out to be at the end?

I have applied to TAMU but haven't heard back from them yet, so I am not optimistic about the results. I guess even if I was admitted it will be w/out funding

Well, it seems it was PhD all long. They sent me several emails clarifying, and in the official letter in the post it apparently says PhD. Unfortunately, it does not seem I have funding. I don't know if the decision is pending, or final, but I was contacted by LASPAU that LSU seems to be the better opportunity. TAMU would be over budget for the scholarship I am applying thru. I was going to wait till today or tomorrow to decide, because NCSU has said NOTHING. But, i'm thinking as soon as I am contacted by LASPAU, I will probably be confirming. Looks like there is a lot of cajun food and jazz in my near future :)

Best luck  buddy! If you could choose some CS related courses in CMU I think, That would be helpful for your future career.

Thanks mate. I will do that for sure! The coursework in CMU looks really promising. Let's hope for the best.

Well, it seems it was PhD all long. They sent me several emails clarifying, and in the official letter in the post it apparently says PhD. Unfortunately, it does not seem I have funding. I don't know if the decision is pending, or final, but I was contacted by LASPAU that LSU seems to be the better opportunity. TAMU would be over budget for the scholarship I am applying thru. I was going to wait till today or tomorrow to decide, because NCSU has said NOTHING. But, i'm thinking as soon as I am contacted by LASPAU, I will probably be confirming. Looks like there is a lot of cajun food and jazz in my near future :)

Congrats buddy. Wish you all the best. :)

Oh Congrats man! but TAMU is one of the cheapest no? Anw keep us updated on ur decision and enjoy the ending of this process!

Oh Man! The third one! but what about the remaining schools u've applied to? or already lost hope in receiving a funded offer? Btw I remember reading somewhere that CMU is expensive no?

Oh Man! The third one! but what about the remaining schools u've applied to? or already lost hope in receiving a funded offer? Btw I remember reading somewhere that CMU is expensive no?

As the deadline is April 15th, I have to reply them by tomorrow. I will tell them to send me the I-20 form. I will wait for other offers until I receive the I-20 form. But if there is no response from other universities by then, upon receiving I-20, I will apply for VISA. And the thing is I am feeling a strong inclination toward CMU, their works and interests seem to fit my interests perfectly. It is indeed expensive, but after the partial tuition waiver the tuition is the same as public schools. Also, the living cost in Pittsburgh seem to be rather low. I am assuming that after being one year in CMU for master, I will have more opportunities than now. Don't you think so?

(btw, what do you mean by the third one?  :blink: )

Edited by Mostafa64

Is it too late to receive funding offers from schools? (UW Seattle, CU Boulder, Colorado State)

Because I have not heard a word on funding. I was told they would let me know, but it is April 15th. I emailed CU and CSU a week ago with no reply.

Edited by Cdcousin12345

In the end I decided to go with LSU!

I guess there were reasons to go with TAMU, and NCSU as well, but in the end a budgetary restriction was the deciding factor (like almost everything in real life anyway). My admission to TAMU had no offer of cost-sharing with Fulbright, and NCSU never replied. It's April 15th, and so my decision was made.

I really didn't want to wait till April 15th to decide, but I wanted a reply from NCSU, and wanted to give TAMU time to decide on funding. I know by April 15th my declining TAMU might not really help anyone out, but maybe someone who was on the wait list might get the admission he or she was waiting for. I'm also withdrawing my applications at UIC and WPI.

I'm so glad this part is over, now comes the visa paperwork. Since my scholarship is being overseen by the US Embassy at my country, I think this part won't be as complicated in my case. 

I really hope things come together for those who might still not have a clear decision. From what I see on the results board, many universities still give out admissions and funding after April 15th, so hopefully you will hear back soon. Goodluck everyone!

As the deadline is April 15th, I have to reply them by tomorrow. I will tell them to send me the I-20 form. I will wait for other offers until I receive the I-20 form. But if there is no response from other universities by then, upon receiving I-20, I will apply for VISA. And the thing is I am feeling a strong inclination toward CMU, their works and interests seem to fit my interests perfectly. It is indeed expensive, but after the partial tuition waiver the tuition is the same as public schools. Also, the living cost in Pittsburgh seem to be rather low. I am assuming that after being one year in CMU for master, I will have more opportunities than now. Don't you think so?

(btw, what do you mean by the third one?  :blink: )

I think he meant the third Master's Degree.

Are all of them around Structural Engineering? I was intrigued by this as well.

I think he meant the third Master's Degree.

Are all of them around Structural Engineering? I was intrigued by this as well.

No actually. The first one was in Construction Management. The second one was in Structural Engineering. If I go to CMU, the third one will also be in Structural Engineering!  :rolleyes:

No actually. The first one was in Construction Management. The second one was in Structural Engineering. If I go to CMU, the third one will also be in Structural Engineering!  :rolleyes:

I was curious about this. Because I have funding from my current school and will be able to finish very quickly. However, I would like to research at another school maybe next year. Is there any benefit to having two MS in Structural?

I was curious about this. Because I have funding from my current school and will be able to finish very quickly. However, I would like to research at another school maybe next year. Is there any benefit to having two MS in Structural?

To be honest, the main reason that I am interested in this second master is that it is in CMU. I found everything about CMU intriguing: the coursework, the interests and professors, the ranking, etc. For this it would seem quite reasonable to put another year for a master. Furthermore, This master in CMU is just one year long and In this one year you have to take 96 credits. Then one can request for PhD and there won't be any coursework in PhD. So, I think that, in terms of time, the overall time necessary for this master and the PHD after it will be the same as the PhD program in other universities. Any idea?

Also, another important reason is that I am changing my research direction toward Damage Detection, SHM, and System Identification. In my current master in structural engineering and in my Bachelor I haven't taken any course related to thee issues. So, I have found it useful to go for a master to go through some courses like Data Science, Linear Dynamic Systems, Signals and Systems, Sensors and Sensing,.... As these courses are  mainly based in Computer science and Electrical Engineering, CMU looked like a perfect match.

To be honest, the main reason that I am interested in this second master is that it is in CMU. I found everything about CMU intriguing: the coursework, the interests and professors, the ranking, etc. For this it would seem quite reasonable to put another year for a master. Furthermore, This master in CMU is just one year long and In this one year you have to take 96 credits. Then one can request for PhD and there won't be any coursework in PhD. So, I think that, in terms of time, the overall time necessary for this master and the PHD after it will be the same as the PhD program in other universities. Any idea?

Also, another important reason is that I am changing my research direction toward Damage Detection, SHM, and System Identification. In my current master in structural engineering and in my Bachelor I haven't taken any course related to thee issues. So, I have found it useful to go for a master to go through some courses like Data Science, Linear Dynamic Systems, Signals and Systems, Sensors and Sensing,.... As these courses are  mainly based in Computer science and Electrical Engineering, CMU looked like a perfect match.

I don't really understand how 1 year Master's programs work? We have to take all this coursework AND commit to research as well? It sounds intense. I accepted Berkeley. Their program is also 1 year (9 months if you decide not to TA). The typical masters coursework is 5 courses if I am not mistaken right? Also, where are you finally headed? CMU?

Hi guys,

My first time on this forum and so glad to have found it. I have an admit from USC pending. Apparently my file is with the graduate admissions for final approval. Is this regular for all PhDs? What can I expect? very worried. Thanks ppl.

-C

I don't really understand how 1 year Master's programs work? We have to take all this coursework AND commit to research as well? It sounds intense. I accepted Berkeley. Their program is also 1 year (9 months if you decide not to TA). The typical masters coursework is 5 courses if I am not mistaken right? Also, where are you finally headed? CMU?

Hey Amirali

Congratulations. I do not know the details of Berkeley Master program, but in my case and for CMU, there are 96 credits, which basically means 8 courses in graduate level. However, I think the overall number of courses depends on the courses which is to be taken as there are 6-credit (half-semester) courses and 12-credit (full semester) courses. About research, in case of CMU there is an 18-credit course named AIS Systems Project Course which basically is for research. I do not know whether it is mandatory but in my case I will for sure take it. About your last question, I am extremely inclined toward CMU and I really hope that there won't be any problem in the next steps.