Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Just got the official admission notice from McMaster - I applied to their Anthropology of Health MA. They offered a scholarship but no TAship.

I have another offer with a TAship - would you guys suggest I try to get them to match the other offer?

Once they're offering you admission why not ask for what you want? Be assertive rather than aggressive (demanding) or passive (not saying what you want and then being angry you didn't get it). To be assertive ask clearly for what you would like and then be ready to accept no if that is the answer. (accept in terms of being friendly about it, not necessarily enjoying it, but not responding angrily)

It's perfectly fair to say that you're really excited about being admitted, you would like to attend, it's your top choice - that said, funding considerations really matter and you were offered a TAship from another program. You would prefer to attend their program, and wonder if there is anything they might be able to do to help you make that happen.

Edited by Canis

Letter from the Director of Graduate Studies of UARK informing me that my application for admissions has been favorably reviewed by the Admissions and Funding Committee. But for MA, not PhD.

They will contact about funding opportunities later.

Oh well, I suppose it's better than nothing. At least it wasn't an outright rejection.

ETA: Funny thing happened while I was submitting my result here at the Gradcafe. My GRE Verbal and Quantitative results got switched accidentally. Now people will think I suck at English! Sigh!
Edited by Don't Panic

Anyone want to claim the Irvine rejection? I emailed them earlier when they had first round of acceptances, and they had told me that they were going to have second round. My website says it does not display admission status, and that I should wait for email. Which website did you check your status. thanks. 

I think Columbia usually offers MA to those without. Could be why. I expect Stanford to come today and tomorrow.  Like I said, I heard Stanford made 4 offers and they already know who they are. I have no info on Johns Hopkins.

I'm hoping for a wait-list from Johns Hopkins too. Three weeks ago I heard decisions would be made by this week, so we'll see! Good luck!! 

Thanks Forsaken in LA and Bloommquish!

Yeah an offer for a MA is the best I'm hoping for from Columbia at this point - I wasn't interviewed though by Hopkins or Columbia :/ (And just got my rejection from Stanford).

And there it is, the official rejection from Stanford...

Sucks... :(

I got a rejection today too - I was expecting it, but it still hurts to get rejected. I'm consoling myself with some good chocolate and a glass of bourbon. I don't know whether you drink or not, but if so, I'd suggest you try something similar.

And there it is, the official rejection from Stanford...

Boo, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Sending you good vibes!

Forsaken, big hug to you. Wish I lived in L.A., I'd buy you a round. What's your go-to conciliatory beverage? 

Hell, that's the one sucky thing about this online community thing, is that I really start to like the people here and have to remind myself that, in 'praxis', you're all two dimensional... 

Last day before spring break on many campuses, and mine is closed today due to weather... anyone else feel like today has to bring news, or else?

Haha, thanks ecologaia. It used to be beer, but I'm on the whole "gluten-free" bandwagon since I got home from Israel last summer. I think I had a lifetime of carbs while I was there! If I grab a drink now, which I don't normally do, it's vodka/soda with lime. 

I totally get what you mean about liking people on the boards here, the only consolation there is with a rejection is that at least it's one less thing to worry about it. 

A couple things I hope have happen before finals: Columbia responds with the MA at least, Tulane responds, and G-Town comes with a decent financial aid offer. I was hoping to have it somewhat put to bed in my head at least before walking into my finals. Unfortunately, looking at the boards, I may be waiting a bit. Oh well...

Good luck to everyone today! 

I had my wife call UW-Madison (haha) and they said admissions decisions would be released by the end of next week. Just figured you folks would appreciate the heads up.

Just got a totally unexpected letter by email from University of British Columbia.

"I am pleased to inform you that we are recommending your admission into the PhD programme in Anthropology..."

and then it gets even better:

"Due to your outstanding academic record, you have been selected as a recipient of UBC's premier Four Year Doctoral Fellowship...."

Funding includes all tuition & fees and living expenses, and any TA money is on top of that. I'm floored.

Just got a totally unexpected letter by email from University of British Columbia.

"I am pleased to inform you that we are recommending your admission into the PhD programme in Anthropology..."

"Due to your outstanding academic record, you have been selected as a recipient of UBC's premier Four Year Doctoral Fellowship...."

Funding includes all tuition & fees and living expenses, and any TA money is on top of that. I'm floored.

Wow! Awesome Canis!

That's incredible! Congratulations!!