Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

SOAS accepted / Boston rejected

You win some, you lose some right?

I hear really great things about the SOAS program! Sorry to hear about Boston. Did you just get an email from them? I also applied but haven't heard a peep...

Karen has some great advice and a timely reminder for all of us in her interview which is up on Savage Minds now. Basically if you don't get GREAT funding don't go, apply again until you do.

"I generally advise caution about applying to phd programs. Make sure you are fully funded, and that the so-called ‘full funding package’ is actually adequate for your real-life living expenses in the location of the program. Go only to an elite or high ranking program, and take on absolutely no debt to do the entire program start to finish. If all those are possible and you are under 40, then it’s not a bad choice. While there, firmly strategize for the job market from your first year, by reading my column, Graduate School Is a Means to a Job, and doing what it says.

The Ph.D. in the Humanities or Social Sciences is an extremely bad financial decision for many people at this point in time, certainly for those without a working spouse or family wealth. The reason is not simply the inadequacy of most full funding packages, which have not even remotely kept place with rising costs of living, but that the years in the program are — or should be — a person’s prime earning years when they could otherwise be earning a full-time income, paying into social security, perhaps accruing the funds to buy a first house, and otherwise laying the financial foundation for later years. All of those things are out of the question for most Ph.D.s in the humanities and social sciences (as opposed to Engineering, the hard sciences, etc.). So the financial repercussions of the decision do not stop at the years of “grad student lifestyle” [ramen noodles, etc.] in the program, which may seem like a reasonable and even appealing sacrifice when you’re in your twenties. Rather they extend outward into a person’s thirties or forties and beyond, when the stakes become urgent of having massive debt, no job, no security, and no financial cushion."

Edited by Canis

Michigan just got back to me in an e-mail. Rejected. I wasn't expecting an acceptance so thats ok, i guess.

I'm so sorry! Did you email them to check? I'm trying so hard to resist doing that.

That's a huge bummer, dudes, I'm really sorry! :( No news here yet from UM, either. Trying to remain calm/not check my email every two minutes

Hahaha I'm with you. I just checked the website twice in a row as if those 30 seconds were really going to make a difference.

So sorry guys! I haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed!

sounds like you are in good shape if you haven't heard anything yet. hope you get good news!

ditto to you sarab!

Edited by screencheck