In regards to lying about dates...

belle00

There was a thread below (that's now a week dead) that discussed lying to professors about application due dates. I'm new to the community and just read through the entire thing, ending in a bit of a small freak out on my end. 

I sent all of my recommenders an email with the school names, a brief explanation of the specific program, as well as a section called "Date of Application." Not all of these dates reflect the actual dates of applications due. In fact, there are 3 at the end that I lumped together under February 1st (the last actual due date that I have) because they're all incredibly far off. Those applications are due in May, June, and August. I wanted to set a date for myself to personally have them done and submitted by, and so I just randomly chose that date.

Now I'm concerned that my recommenders could find out and feel like I lied to them intentionally, when in all reality it was more for me than anyone else. I'm just ready to wrap this process up!

Any advice as to whether or not I should reach out to rectify this?

Well what I did was mention to my referees that although my date is far off, I plan to submit my application by one this specific date. So well they uploaded my LORs in that manner.

Why don't you mention the same? Tell them that even though the application submission dates were far off, you wanted yourself to submit them ASAP hence asked them for the LORs early. I am sure they won't go crazy on you but on the other hand, it reflects on your sincerity.

Good luck!

I think it's not that big of a deal in your case to be quite honest. I've done something similar-ish with job applications before and no one has questioned it. Basically, if one school is due Feb 1, another Feb 3, and another Feb 5, I just list them all as being due Feb 1 to keep the list simpler. Given that I know my advisor was writing letters for others applying for those same jobs, it's entirely possible he knows the "real" deadline but he's never said anything about it to me.

Good luck!

Whew- okay- I feel a bit better about the situation. Thanks!

Considering I know my recommenders pretty well on a personal level, and they each know I'm a very forthright and honest person, I would hope they assumed this was just me trying to be on top of things.