Waiting it out: Evolution, Organismal, Ecology? Fall 2014

calliope_dogstar

Hello! 

I see so many biomedical/etc. and so few of my fellow play-in-the-dirt-and-with-critters types.... 

Anyone else out there waiting for your admission to some sort of ___ology (Entomology, Herpetology, Ornithology, Mammology... Botany-ology)?

Or to study evolutionary theory (incl. systematics)? 

Or to really play in the dirt with those dirty, dirty, ecologists?

I will have a BSc in Ecology after this semester! I'm applying to mostly EEB departments and mainly interested in microbial ecology - which is fun that I can still go out to cool places and sample!!

When I was at MSU this weekend for an umbrella program - most students seemed to be biochem, cell and molec; or medical micro. I was one of the few (literally) microbial ecology applicants.

Have you heard back from any of your programs yet?

EEB PhD programs in Marine Ecology here. Still no word from anybody but I only applied to four California schools.

Stanford is the only one I expect to hear from any time soon, and based on the number of people I see that have already received interview invites I am pretty resigned to a "Dear Applicant" letter from them.

Plant bio/entomology person here. Applied to cornell, umass and penn state and nervously waiting for decisions. 

Any word from cornell entomology yet?

Edited by Catnip

I'm EEB - plant community ecology! Though I'm also hoping to study biodiversity across tropic levels (bugs). I applied to just three programs (see my signature).

I've heard back from UCSC (already went for an interview - it's the most amazing campus!!!) and UCSD (interviewing next month). Waiting for Stanford with only the tiniest sliver of hope.

Astond, who are you applying with at ucsb? My undergrad degree is aquatic bio from there.

I'm EEB - plant community ecology! Though I'm also hoping to study biodiversity across tropic levels (bugs). I applied to just three programs (see my signature).

I've heard back from UCSC (already went for an interview - it's the most amazing campus!!!) and UCSD (interviewing next month). Waiting for Stanford with only the tiniest sliver of hope.

Astond, who are you applying with at ucsb? My undergrad degree is aquatic bio from there.

I emailed Schmitt, Holbrook, and Gaines. Never got a response back from any of them - as a matter of fact, the only response I got from any professor was one at Stanford - is that low response rate typical??

I emailed Schmitt, Holbrook, and Gaines. Never got a response back from any of them - as a matter of fact, the only response I got from any professor was one at Stanford - is that low response rate typical??

Schmitt and Holbrook do a lot of teaching and work in the tropics (so jealous of their research intern people), so maybe that's why they didn't get back to you?

For my field at least, I've heard that it's really important to get a response before applying and to build a rapport. I'm not sure if it's the same for marine, but I imagine it's similar. :/

Schmitt and Holbrook do a lot of teaching and work in the tropics (so jealous of their research intern people), so maybe that's why they didn't get back to you?

For my field at least, I've heard that it's really important to get a response before applying and to build a rapport. I'm not sure if it's the same for marine, but I imagine it's similar. :/

Ouch. I suspected as much. Guess I will plan on spending this year figuring out what I need to do differently. I am a "non-traditional" student - 43 years old with 20 years in industry - so it is not as straightforward for me. I also started late in the year as things didn't align for me to look like I could think about applying until October or so. I guess we'll see, but that is not good news.

Ouch. I suspected as much. Guess I will plan on spending this year figuring out what I need to do differently. I am a "non-traditional" student - 43 years old with 20 years in industry - so it is not as straightforward for me. I also started late in the year as things didn't align for me to look like I could think about applying until October or so. I guess we'll see, but that is not good news.

Maybe so, maybe not! Quite a few of the graduate student TAs I had were older, and I always got the vibe that many of the professors preferred students with what they called "life experience". When I was finishing applications, my advising prof asked if I was sure I was ready - she usually doesn't accept students who have been out of college less than a few years. So there is hope!!

Hi! I am applying for Ecology and Ecology programs for next fall as well. I applied to UC davis grad group in ecology and entomology. I have been communicating with a professor there since september, who said I would fit in well in the lab. He also put me in contact with current lab members. Is this a good sign? Does anyone know how the admissions process works for either of those programs?

Plant bio/entomology person here. Applied to cornell, umass and penn state and nervously waiting for decisions. 

Any word from cornell entomology yet?

I have not gotten word yet. I sent an email asking for confirmation that my application was truly complete and I got a form email back (a week ago) saying the committee is meeting in the next couple weeks.  <_<

Hi! I am applying for Ecology and Ecology programs for next fall as well. I applied to UC davis grad group in ecology and entomology. I have been communicating with a professor there since september, who said I would fit in well in the lab. He also put me in contact with current lab members. Is this a good sign? Does anyone know how the admissions process works for either of those programs?

I am not sure how it works- I also contacted a professor toward the end of summer and was told I'd be a good fit, but he's not replied to any subsequent emails. 

I am not sure how it works- I also contacted a professor toward the end of summer and was told I'd be a good fit, but he's not replied to any subsequent emails. 

I'm sure they're just really busy. We have to remember that these PI's get so many emails every day.  I've had a similar situation happen with a prof at Brown. I'm trying to be patient!

Hi all,

I just found this post! EEB person here, mostly focused on phylogenetics/biogeograhy of plants but I've also done some insect stuff. 

This process is so confusing most of the time. I've had better results than expected from a couple of places I thought were a no go, but I haven't heard a word from a couple that I was pretty positive were going to work out. Oh well....

Good luck to everyone!

Hello! 

I see so many biomedical/etc. and so few of my fellow play-in-the-dirt-and-with-critters types.... 

Anyone else out there waiting for your admission to some sort of ___ology (Entomology, Herpetology, Ornithology, Mammology... Botany-ology)?

Or to study evolutionary theory (incl. systematics)? 

Or to really play in the dirt with those dirty, dirty, ecologists?

Just found this thread. Love it! Go Eco-types!  Interviews in ecology/plant biology starting a week from this Thursday (Berkeley and then MSU). Ironically, calliope_dogstar, I actually do work in the dirtiest of dirt for my research--biological soil crusts + plants. Good luck everyone in the waiting-it-out process!

U. Pitt. applicants for Ecology and Evolution: Notifications for interview invites should come out this week. The interview dates willl either be Feb. 13-15 or Feb. 27 - Mar. 1 (not sure if you have a choice or they're still deciding which one they want). There are only 8 interview spots, instead of the usual 12. 

EDIT: Interview invites have started coming out. Weekend is by choice: 2/13-15 or 2/28-3/2. Plane and hotel are arranged by the department.

I'll be there 2/28-3/2. If anyone else is going on that interview date, send me a message.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

U. Pitt. applicants for Ecology and Evolution: Notifications for interview invites should come out this week. The interview dates willl either be Feb. 13-15 or Feb. 27 - Mar. 1 (not sure if you have a choice or they're still deciding which one they want). There are only 8 interview spots, instead of the usual 12. 

EDIT: Interview invites have started coming out. Weekend is by choice: 2/13-15 or 2/28-3/2. Plane and hotel are arranged by the department.

I'll be there 2/28-3/2. If anyone else is going on that interview date, send me a message.

Awesome! I didn't apply there, but grats on the interview!