Waiting it out: Evolution, Organismal, Ecology? Fall 2014

calliope_dogstar

Hey Monochrome Spring, I'm applying to Michigan State EEBB/Zoology and will be interviewing there in less than two weeks! The departmental structure of MSU's evolution/ecology program is certainly curious. I can't really tell if my graduate school peers would be Zoology students or EEBB students - or both!    

Edited by anatotitan

Ahhh i'm starting to get really anxious! I haven't heard back from Brown, and I don't think I'll get in to University of Oregon (all invites have been sent out).  The applicaiton for Brown was only a couple of weeks ago, so I'm trying not to stress about that yet.

I really want to be in the University of Michigan's EEB department and i'm anxious for my interview Feb 13-15th. Really hope it goes well!

How is everyone dealing with stress/anxiety of waiting?

Edited by microarray

I'm doing pretty good, but I feel like my situation was really odd. I got a fellowship offer from MSU's college before I even have my departmental interview next week. And it's my top choice, so it takes so much stress off. I know it's going to be a lot easier to focus on getting to know the department and the campus next week, instead of worrying about acceptances.

I hope you get into UM, and we can be Michigan buddies.

Hey Monochrome Spring, I'm applying to Michigan State EEBB/Zoology and will be interviewing there in less than two weeks! The departmental structure of MSU's evolution/ecology program is certainly curious. I can't really tell if my graduate school peers would be Zoology students or EEBB students - or both!    

You'd likely have classes with students from a mix of the EEBB departments, so you'd get to know people beyond Zoology right away. Zoology and Plant Bio are the most represented departments in my EEBB cohort, but I've met people in Fisheries & Wildlife, Computer Science, and Forestry as well. 

Hope you enjoy the recruiting event!

Feeling pretty low. I was told I was good for interviewing by Davis, but the PI rejected me. Cornell unofficially told me I'm out. Rejection hurts, and it's very easy for me to see it as "I was right, I'm not good enough for this."

Feeling pretty low. I was told I was good for interviewing by Davis, but the PI rejected me. Cornell unofficially told me I'm out. Rejection hurts, and it's very easy for me to see it as "I was right, I'm not good enough for this."

Aw i'm so sorry to hear all of this. Do you have any interviews scheduled? 

I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!

Sorry about that! Just keep in contact with your other potential PIs. I was also accepted for interviewing at Davis, did the department update your on your status or did the PI?

Hi! I am applying for Ecology and Ecology programs for next fall as well. I applied to UC davis grad group in ecology and entomology. I have been communicating with a professor there since september, who said I would fit in well in the lab. He also put me in contact with current lab members. Is this a good sign? Does anyone know how the admissions process works for either of those programs?

I hope so! I'm in the same boat. I've had really good report with a professor at University of South Carolina who straight up told me she would recommend me to the grad committee and that the school has more TAships than students... But I feel like it may be false hope. I'm definitely not one to count my eggs before they hatch, though.

I've also had dialog going with a professor at Illinois State who has pretty much insisted that I come visit and got the department to help fund it. 

Anyone with experience with this stuff? How much weight does it actually hold?

I hope so! I'm in the same boat. I've had really good report with a professor at University of South Carolina who straight up told me she would recommend me to the grad committee and that the school has more TAships than students... But I feel like it may be false hope. I'm definitely not one to count my eggs before they hatch, though.

I've also had dialog going with a professor at Illinois State who has pretty much insisted that I come visit and got the department to help fund it. 

Anyone with experience with this stuff? How much weight does it actually hold?

Many schools require that you have been accepted with a potential supervisor before being admitted. So I'd say it's a great thing, but you still have to get through the admissions committee. But it helps that you have someone to fight for you to get accepted. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm in the same boat. I even got rejected from my "safety" school  :(  I haven't heard anything back from Cornell though. But do not have a good feeling about it... sigh

Hang in there

Think of it instead as "I wasn't the right fit". And it's better to figure that out now instead of joining a lab group that isn't perfect for you. : )

There's a program/lab out there for you. Don't give up yet.

Sorry about that! Just keep in contact with your other potential PIs. I was also accepted for interviewing at Davis, did the department update your on your status or did the PI?

The PI updated me about my status with him. I dunno about the department. 

On a lighter note, I am scheduled for  a visit to one of my two favorites! 

well i was rejected from Brown EEB. No big surprise there. I had good emails before I applied and had trouble reestablishing contact after application.

I couldn't make it to UMich EEB this weekend due to flight cancellations at my tiny airport. They're working on rescheduling me now, just not sure when that will be. Hopefully early next week. I'm just bummed I won't get to meet everyone in my potential cohort and experience the recruit weekend as it was supposed to be. Oh well, at least I shouldn't have to do phone interviews like some people have to.

Yup, unofficial rejection from Cornell. A little sad, but I already have a plan B. I got a research assistantship at my undergrad university. If grad school didn't work out this year, I will definitely re-apply.  

• 2 weeks later...