Imagining the Committee

doobiebrothers

ugh!

now i'm beginning to worry an adcom has flow chart designed for 20 somethings and applicants much older will be seen through the application lens for those much younger.

in the link, the resume was considered superfluous  - seriously? Mine was 4 pages with almost 1 page of pubs.....oh god!

ugh!

now i'm beginning to worry an adcom has flow chart designed for 20 somethings and applicants much older will be seen through the application lens for those much younger.

in the link, the resume was considered superfluous  - seriously? Mine was 4 pages with almost 1 page of pubs.....oh god!

from what I know of the adcoms, the schools are very good at giving "special" applicants a thorough read; that means if you are an older student, have an unusual academic profile, or have anything else that stands out in your file (as long as you addressed it in your essays or somewhere else in the application) you will be considered quite closely on your own merits.

it actually is quite beneficial to be an unusual applicant; you stand out from the crowd in a good way! 

as to the resume, I do have to admit it is not usually given too much weight, unless there is something exceptional. your publications would probably be seen as exceptional, so I am pretty sure those would have come up in conversation. Guys this is easy to say but hard to do: let's try to enjoy this *tee hee hee* liminal space between knowing and not knowing :)

What happens if the people who you have contacted from a school are not on the committee? I'm curious how much sway they have over decisions or what kind steps the committee takes to hear their input.

I'm pretty much 100% sure my file has been read and the decision has been made by the adcom, and now I'm waiting for the dean to rubber stamp the yes's and the no's. I want to email my POI desperately, but what if it's bad news? better to have 10 more days of blissful ignorance.

I feel this.