Only personal interview (no phone one) What to do?

Psykir

Hmm- this is a silly question, but did you make it really clear to the POI that you'd have to fly from Russia to attend? I can't imagine they wouldn't let you interview by skype if you're halfway around the world :-(

Thats so odd.. did they say if theyre gonna reimburse your travel expenses? What about skype interview? If they insist that you come in person even when they understand your situation, I would think that in the future they will be difficult to work with as well.

I did so......waiting for answer.......I'll wait for an hour and then call directly......this situation make me feel nervous and disappointed......

BTW - there is no program coordinator 'coordinates' on the web-site.

They must not know that you are in Russia! I can't imagine they would make you fly there. You're right that it seems completely unfair.

You should ask for a Skype interview - that way you can still have visuals on each other!

This is unreasonable. I'd do as others have suggested and both ask about reimbursement, and reiterate that it's otherwise too expensive. If this prof tries to insist that you come in person or they won't consider your application, I'd take it as a serious red flag and would probably not want to have such a person as my advisor. I'm sure someone who makes this kind of unreasonable demand from someone who is not even their student will not suddenly improve once you're even more dependent on them for your degree. 

Thanks.

I sent them couple of letters, explaining it.

I'm really distressed - it's my third and last try in general - first one to this program. SO I hope they;ll decide smth till 22'th

I didn't say this ;) 

But I'm a pessimist generally (yes, I'm a psychologist =)) )

Seriously I do not lay on happy end. Now I got 1 interview invitation. That's all YET.  I'll just wait

The story has its continuation.

Ir seems like they are not adequate at all =(

Kirill,

I completely understand your situation. 

Unfortunately, our admissions policy requires that we interview everyone in person. We do this so that the candidate can meet and interact with every faculty member and many of our current students. The program is highly competitive and the decision to accept students for a 5-7 year commitment requires that we have intensive contact with our candidates so we can adequately evaluate them in person. Skype or phone interviews would not allow us to do this. 

I'm sorry that there are no adequate solutions to this problem. 

The story has its continuation.

Ir seems like they are not adequate at all =(

Well, not that it makes you feel any better, but if they're THIS inflexible about this policy (and unwilling to pay your way to compensate for this inflexibility), you probably don't want to be part of this "5-7 year commitment" with that institution.

This is such an unfortunate situation for you. I'm so sorry.

Well, not that it makes you feel any better, but if they're THIS inflexible about this policy (and unwilling to pay your way to compensate for this inflexibility), you probably don't want to be part of this "5-7 year commitment" with that institution.

This is such an unfortunate situation for you. I'm so sorry.

I completely agree. It is unfortunate that this "highly competitive" program is that way, but with that said there are many "highly competitive" programs that are genuinely more flexible (and some that are not, apparently). 

I'm sorry that they are not willing to accommodate you for the interview, but maybe you can take it as a sign that down the road they will continue to be so inflexible and cause you more issues? Maybe you're dodging a bullet! :D 

Best of luck to you on your other apps. :) 

Psykir, is this for Fordham Counseling psych program? If so, I'm in the same boat because I can't attend the interview due to scheduling conflict and they told me if I don't attend the interview, I would not be considered as a candidate. No skype or phone interview options. No alternative date. To be honest, I am not impressed at how inflexible and unaccommodating they are towards students' situations. If they are like this even before admission, it really brings a lot of reservations about the program.

I'll tell you one more thing, their funding is dismal and almost nonexistent for students especially for international students since you can't take out federal loans (unless you are eligible). If you need substantial financial support, you won't be getting a whole lot.

Edited by denimfan

Pals...thanks for your support.

I feel REALLY better especially understanding (by your reaction) that this situation is unusual and not quite normal for the US programs. It's my third and final year of trying. If will not be successful, I'll stop trying and just continue my job...probably once obtain Russian one PhD (here you can defend a dissertation without going to school - just pass 3 exams and go through defense).

Finally I still have 5 shots. 

BTW yeah that's Fordham Counseling program.  The thing is - this program was recommended to me by one good professional in the field. So sad ((((

I really don't appreciate that they are not flexible at all, but I can understand their need to evaluate a participant in person, I mean in the end you are applying to a position where you will be counseling and treating individuals. Therefore requesting to meet you in person is understandable.

Another thing I was wondering about is - I am sure that you knew, especially as a third time applicant, that there would be interviews in person and interview weekend events - is this something you planned ahead for? 

Pals...thanks for your support.

I feel REALLY better especially understanding (by your reaction) that this situation is unusual and not quite normal for the US programs. It's my third and final year of trying. If will not be successful, I'll stop trying and just continue my job...probably once obtain Russian one PhD (here you can defend a dissertation without going to school - just pass 3 exams and go through defense).

Finally I still have 5 shots. 

BTW yeah that's Fordham Counseling program.  The thing is - this program was recommended to me by one good professional in the field. So sad ((((

Well, yeah, Fordham IS a good counseling psychology program. But I don't see why that has to do with anything in terms of being accommodating and truly understanding of special situations for students. If what they say is true that the in person interview is absolute must given their high stake decisions in accepting students who will be part of their program for the next 5-7 years, it is also the same for the applicants in terms of finding a program they will invest their next 5-7 years of life. It sounds very selfish and greedy for the program to be inflexible when it should be a collective decision between the students and the program. After all, the interviews are for students to also find out about and judge the programs and hence should be a reciprocal exchange of information. Of course, many limitations within the program itself (eg. finanacial, personnel reasons) may leave them no choice but to enforce "no exceptions", such shortcomings will also limit the breadth and depth of its admitted students and diversity within the program.

I am sure that you knew, especially as a third time applicant, that there would be interviews in person and interview weekend events - is this something you planned ahead for?

I haven't applyed to that particular programs. And ALL programs I've been interviewed before did it through skype (UFL, Duquesne). And it IS normal practice, you know.  Or to reimburse expenses. I couldn't even think of it - and the first thegradcafe pals reaction proved - it's quite unusual ;) (you know - first reaction is the most valid ;) 

I really don't appreciate that they are not flexible at all, but I can understand their need to evaluate a participant in person, I mean in the end you are applying to a position where you will be counseling and treating individuals. Therefore requesting to meet you in person is understandable.

Yes, but asking someone to spend upwards of $1,000 (flight, other transportation, accommodations, food, visa fees for travel) to come to an interview on ONE specific date is very inflexible. Someone can be a good candidate but not have the money, or perhaps have a job or another commitment, and not be able to make it. It's unreasonable. I actually completely agree that an in-person interview is better than a skype interview both for the program and for the applicants, but you can't demand an in-person visit and not contribute to covering the costs. It discriminates against certain people and has consequences exactly as we see here. 

Yes, but asking someone to spend upwards of $1,000 (flight, other transportation, accommodations, food, visa fees for travel) to come to an interview on ONE specific date is very inflexible. Someone can be a good candidate but not have the money, or perhaps have a job or another commitment, and not be able to make it. It's unreasonable. I actually completely agree that an in-person interview is better than a skype interview both for the program and for the applicants, but you can't demand an in-person visit and not contribute to covering the costs. It discriminates against certain people and has consequences exactly as we see here. 

Exactly.

Let's see - I'm a teaching fellow (lecturer) and an editor. Term starts exactly the week of 10'th - so it means I'll have to find an excuse to postpone my classes. Then - my official salary is around 15000 monthly (around 500$) + Editorial honorariums around 13000 (400$) once in two months (but not regularly due to Journal financial difficulties) plus some unofficial irregular money like private clients/translations/web-sites/playback-theater performances...........

So the cheapest tickets are around 17000 (say, 400$) and that's the cheapest - the median is around 21000 (700$) plus visa is around 160$ plus accommodation + food + + + ............ 

AND to sum up - that would be an unreliable investment. Hehehe........spend more than monthly income on something..........One week to see NY and die =)

I give it up..........

Edited by Psykir