Blazers

NOWAYNOHOW

With interview season in full swing, I'm feeling the pressure to get myself a good blazer in order to project a certain seriousness in the case of meeting with POIs.  Couple this with the fact that I'm soon to start TAing my first class and you might see why the pressure to professionalize my wardrobe is building.

I wear a lot of silk blouses, sleek ankle boots and skinny jeans, so it's not like a blazer won't fit into my wardrobe, but I generally mix these with cardigans and leather jackets instead of blazers--more downtown than uptown.

Ladies, where do you get blazers you like?  I'm not super slim, so a generous sleeve is important.  I have looked at JCrew and Brooks Brothers (the sales right now are outrageous) and am not impressed.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

I bought a few cute blazers at Kohl's, I shop in the junior section still but the women's section has nice stuff in the Lauren Conrad collection.  I also would try Maurice's.  I have never been there, but a friend of mine got some cute professional clothes there.  

Guy here... But in the next month a place like JC Penney's will have great deals. Not sure how you feel about Penney's brands, but I've gotten some blazers there for ridiculously low prices. 

I mean, someday I'll go get custom tailored suits. But for now, I'd rather drop $30 on a $150 jacket and have it tailored to me for $15-20. Just a thought. :)

I have a really cute grey blazer from H&M. They have some really nice stuff and it sounds like the style would fit well in your wardrobe. It is also usually good quality and not too pricey.

Ooooh good idea!  A lot of the suggestions here aren't local (I can't think of a Kohl's or JCPenny in NYC, not downtown at least) so H&M is a great choice...maybe Top Shop too...

If you're in NYC, I'd suggest Loehmann's, Century 21, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Zara, Ann Taylor (and LOFT by extension).

But maybe you might not be a blazer person? What about wrap dresses? I think they're really versatile.

I'm in anthropology (archaeology, really), and I have 4 blazers: 1 from H&M, 2 from Forever 21, and 1 hand-me-down Ralph Lauren. I find blazers to be more comfortable than cardigans, and the ones at F21 and H&M -- the former especially -- to be suitable for conferences and all, as their materials, cuts, and colors are on the more casual end of the office/business attire spectrum. F21 also has a nice variety of colors (one of my blazers has cropped sleeves, and is dark peacock blue and navy), and if you catch a good sale, they can be as inexpensive as $15.

I own many blazers from my previous job - currently 10+ are in rotation. I believe they come from a range of places such as JCPenney, F21 Limited, Macy's,Target, H&m, Kohls, Ross, Zara, TJ Maxx, and local thrift stores. JCrew is where I get dress shirts from because the often boxy frames of the blazers don't work with my curvy frame. 

Oh, my weight unfortunately fluctuates a lot so I spend quite a bit of money on clothes - if you are like me, hit up the second thrift stores first!

Edited by i.am.me