Results

jamc8383

Why so much hate? I lived there for 4 years and loved the Metro. I also had a car and knew that experience, as well. 

Not sure how recently you lived there, but I think it's gotten worse. WMATA is horribly underfunded, and it shows. Unbearable crowding on almost every line; trains incredibly far apart on nights and weekends; constant, crippling construction on the weekends. Not to mention that the metro doesn't cover huge swaths of the city. If you live in the center of DC it's not so bad, but coming in from Virginia was miserable. But I just disliked DC in general; especially the people, the political myopia, the bland homogeneity of people's jobs and interests. I'm sure it had to do with my profession and college network, and I know it's gotten significantly cooler since then. But New York had seeped into my being and I couldn't go back to DC culture.

The metro area population has exploded over the past decade, particularly from about 2007-10. The construction around 2010 was hard to believe - it was hard to turn around without hitting a giant new outpost of the national security state under construction. I think the transport has been overloaded and needed to grow rapidly to keep up, but the WMATA was always underfunded (perhaps until more recently, when they started work on the Silver Line, etc). The Capital Bikeshare has also launched since then, which I hear is very nice and popular. Probably a big help with getting to Georgetown, too.

UW Madison should have its results coming out this weekend, I have been reliably informed.

woohoo! the storm is beginning! I hope this is the case...now I will be frantically checking my email as much as I try not to!

Edited by catsandscarves

The bigger issue is levoyous came here from New York, where mocking DC is practically a residency requirement.

Not that you're wrong about anything you said.

Ha, exactly. I hoped people would pick up on that.

PS. As I said, I'm sure going there for a PhD will be very different than working in professional/political circles, and I hope anybody going there will judge it for themselves.

Edited by levoyous

Was hoping it was you! I didn't apply there, but best of luck.

haha not I! it is an international student with a US degree...I will keep you posted though...from years past it seems normal that they send out stuff this week. If it is the DGS who emailed that person...seems that most news would be sent out soon!

Sounds like we're in for a Yale deluge tomorrow.

I would think so (or hope so). Welp, there go my nerves! I am definitely not expecting acceptance (I think that at such competitive schools it is hard to) but I have this dumb sense of hope! ha!

Edited by catsandscarves

I applied to Yale political science, but looks like theirs have come right in the middle of the month the past few years.

I like that with certain schools you can know when to expect news....if all schools did that this would be MUCH less stressful.

I don't understand why something like this is done over the course of a couple of days. I mean, if DGS is just hitting the "send" button on a few emails, why the delay?

On a related note, I had a dream last night that I got a rejection from Yale. I woke up nauseous and began obsessively checking my email. I'm not enjoying this process.

I don't understand why something like this is done over the course of a couple of days. I mean, if DGS is just hitting the "send" button on a few emails, why the delay?

On a related note, I had a dream last night that I got a rejection from Yale. I woke up nauseous and began obsessively checking my email. I'm not enjoying this process.

Tis probably a bit more complicated than that in the sense of different offers and different decisions being made based on fields! Maybe consider setting email rules! I check my email at night which is working for me!

I haven't slept well the past two nights. I keep having really odd dreams that involve huge surprises.

Last night's dream involved opening my locker at work to find that my boss had placed inside a bag containing 100,000 Chinese Yuan. It was a birthday gift.

A few weeks ago I dreamt that my second child had been born, and weighed in at 9.9 pounds.

Very odd, lucid dreams....

another Yale up...seems like they are sending notes to international students first....(maybe based on how they are being posted could be different) but seems they are being sent out now....who knows though...I just keep speculating and freaking out!

oddly enough posting here makes me feel better! ha

Edited by catsandscarves

If these are personalized emails, it's more than just hitting a button. And for all we know they may be going out in larger batches and only a couple are showing up here.

Shit! Yale #3!

Edited by levoyous

PS. Is there any reason we're on a separate thread now? Seems like this kind of talk normally happens in the main admissions thread.

I think because they wanted to move this discussion about who is claiming what result to this one....I feel like they could all be in the same one but some people wanted result talk in this one...I could move over though ha!

totally could be coming out in larger batches or the DGS is just working on different ones at different times. Seems though that the results will be coming out this week for Yale if they are starting now!

Not sure how recently you lived there, but I think it's gotten worse. WMATA is horribly underfunded, and it shows. Unbearable crowding on almost every line; trains incredibly far apart on nights and weekends; constant, crippling construction on the weekends. Not to mention that the metro doesn't cover huge swaths of the city. If you live in the center of DC it's not so bad, but coming in from Virginia was miserable. But I just disliked DC in general; especially the people, the political myopia, the bland homogeneity of people's jobs and interests. I'm sure it had to do with my profession and college network, and I know it's gotten significantly cooler since then. But New York had seeped into my being and I couldn't go back to DC culture.

Re: metro, take a look at  http://unsuckdcmetro.blogspot.com/

Tis probably a bit more complicated than that in the sense of different offers and different decisions being made based on fields! Maybe consider setting email rules! I check my email at night which is working for me!

Stop yelling at me  :)

For U-W Madison applicants, I have word that they're extending 54 offers of admission.  Sizable group; makes me kind of concerned for funding  :unsure:

Stop yelling at me  :)

For U-W Madison applicants, I have word that they're extending 54 offers of admission.  Sizable group; makes me kind of concerned for funding  :unsure:

haha sorry I was just exclamation point happy. Really just trying to help. :) even if by yelling!!!!

have you heard that the offers will be coming this weekend?

haha sorry I was just exclamation point happy. Really just trying to help. :) even if by yelling!!!!

have you heard that the offers will be coming this weekend?

I couldn't get an answer on when acceptances would go out, just how many there were (and that none of them are in African history, in the event that that affects anyone here).  If they go out this week, factor in transit time for USPS.  Ugh.