Results

jamc8383

Howdy. I hope everyone's waiting ends soon with positive results.  I just heard back from my first school today and it was positive news at the University of Washington.  The offer was pretty darn generous and they are my top choice.  Good luck, fellow history students!

That's awesome! Congratulations! if you have questions about the department or Seattle, I'd be happy to answer. I don't know everyone, though. But it's a great environment in a fantastic city. 

At this point, I wish my rejections would just become official, rather than me sitting here with an empty inbox. Blah. 

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances!

Was just thinking how excited I would be to get a rejection, just so I could believe some kind of response was going to come.

So apparently I got the email saying I'm accepted to the University of Washington several hours ago, but Google decided it was spam. Note to self, start checking spam folder religiously. Stoked I got in, but I did my MA there so I know the funding situation is pretty cut-throat.

Edited by rolfsinjpn

Hi, I got my acceptance letter from UC Berkeley yesterday, for the history Ph.D. program, and I got in! Very happy ;) I was curious though, a lot of people write about getting an offer right with the acceptance letter, but as far as I can tell from Berkeley's online interface, nothing about funding has been posted. Anybody know if I have to wait to get this info, or where I have to look to find out? 

Another question: I am also as of yesterday on the wait list for the history Ph.D. program at UChicago, and I was confused about it because apparently Chicago doesn't usually have wait lists, or very short ones? Anybody know more about this/what are the chances of getting in from the UChicago grad wait lists?

Hi, I got my acceptance letter from UC Berkeley yesterday, for the history Ph.D. program, and I got in! Very happy ;) I was curious though, a lot of people write about getting an offer right with the acceptance letter, but as far as I can tell from Berkeley's online interface, nothing about funding has been posted. Anybody know if I have to wait to get this info, or where I have to look to find out? 

Another question: I am also as of yesterday on the wait list for the history Ph.D. program at UChicago, and I was confused about it because apparently Chicago doesn't usually have wait lists, or very short ones? Anybody know more about this/what are the chances of getting in from the UChicago grad wait lists?

I was on a UChicago waitlist in 2011. They called me on April 15 to offer me a spot. So chances are there, but it might be very last minute. I'd recommend getting in touch with the POI to see where you might be.

It's great to see another Berkeley admit on here - I was accepted via an email from my POI back in late January.  At the time, I was told that it would be a few weeks before I got my official offer from the department with funding details, as they were still finalising the minimum stipend amount, and they were also entering me into a faculty-wide fellowship competition which wouldn't report back for a while.  Thus the fact that you haven't received anything about funding from the department is not anything to worry about, I wouldn't think - you probably were also entered for a fellowship (I think most admits were), and we will probably hear something fairly soon. 

Hope that helps!

How did you find out that you were waitlisted?

How did you find out that you were waitlisted?

UChicago sent me an email. To quote the pertinent part: "We are writing to share with you early news of our admission and aid fellowship competition. You should expect to receive an official notification of your status in an e-mail from the Dean of Students by early March. On our department's recommendation, the Dean of Students in the Social Sciences has placed you on a wait-list for admission" 

It did NOT include an official link to my application status, which still simply reads "submitted." The email was also not from the Dean of Students, but from the Chair of Admissions. The whole thing seemed very unofficial, so I assume that if many people accept or drop out soon, I will receive an official email from the department one way or the other.

@barricades: I already sent an email back to the admissions contact and am waiting for a response about my chances/placement on the list.

First official rejection -- email from Yale to check the website.  

I got it too.  Sad, but predictable.

UChicago sent me an email. To quote the pertinent part: "We are writing to share with you early news of our admission and aid fellowship competition. You should expect to receive an official notification of your status in an e-mail from the Dean of Students by early March. On our department's recommendation, the Dean of Students in the Social Sciences has placed you on a wait-list for admission" 

Well, this doesn't bode well for me.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like I will likely be headed to Madison.  

Rejected from Yale as well. Though found their email link at least explained that it was to speed up making life decisions which I found more acceptable than Berkeley's approach.

Commiserations to other rejected candidates :-)

Well, this doesn't bode well for me.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like I will likely be headed to Madison.  

Well...at least you have an acceptance! :) Unlike me...two official rejections and nothin' else (read: rejections just haven't come in yet)

Sorry about the accidental +1. My mouse has been excited lately.

To anyone else on the wait list for Chicago, or hoping to get on the wait list for Chicago:

I just received a response email from their admissions department saying that there are less than 10 people on the unranked wait list for the history Ph.D. program, but that they do not automatically dip into the wait list pool when someone else refuses an offer (it depends on the area of specialty, as they want a balance of concentrations). In 3 out of the last 5 years they have gone over to the wait list, so it's not a given that if you're on the wait list you are a lock to get in, even if someone refuses. That being said, your odds do go up substantially (if you're only competing with 5-8 other people for 1-3 spots). They told me to email my professor POI expressing renewed interest and sit back and wait.

For those who haven't yet heard from Chicago, I have heard that they usually send out their admits and wait lists last week and this week, and their rejections in the first week of March - although this could of course change from year to year.

Lurked around here for a while.

Got an admissions letter and offer from Kentucky yesterday.  Was rejected from Washington University in St. Louis last week.  I'm focusing on 20th Century American political/education history, with an emphasis on modern conservatism.

That's a fascinating topic. I'm a Europeanist, but I love studying right-wingers wherever they can be found. Incidentally I'm reading Hofstadter's "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life," and the descriptions of schools in the 1950s are riveting.