Results

jamc8383

I'm on the wait list too. They said in the email, "In recent years we have been able to extend offers of admission to anywhere

from several to a half-dozen or more students from the waitlist." So to me that means between 3-6? But probably depends how many people take the offers this year. Best of luck!

I posted the Maryland acceptance. It was an email from the DGS with an official letter - though the letter is dated February 26th, so perhaps thats when they plan to send more!

Hi, everyone, I want to know that whether every successful application must be accepted an interview from gradsch or poi?

From my understanding and experience: generally, but not always. I didn't have an interview with Washington, but I did my MA there and the faculty already knew me or knew people who knew me. I've also known people who were admitted to programs without formal interviews, but usually they had arranged to talk informally with a POI prior to or during the application process. I've also been told by people working in admissions that some professors will take students based off prior work and recommendations (usually by close colleagues) alone. So like everything in this process, it's arbitrary and unpredictable.

From my understanding and experience: generally, but not always. I didn't have an interview with Washington, but I did my MA there and the faculty already knew me or knew people who knew me. I've also known people who were admitted to programs without formal interviews, but usually they had arranged to talk informally with a POI prior to or during the application process. I've also been told by people working in admissions that some professors will take students based off prior work and recommendations (usually by close colleagues) alone. So like everything in this process, it's arbitrary and unpredictable.

Er, I don't know of many programs that require discussions with POIs before admission, either formally or informally, and most programs don't conduct interviews. 

I severely doubt there's anywhere where you'd be categorically out of the running because you didn't speak to anyone there beforehand.

Er, I don't know of many programs that require discussions with POIs before admission, either formally or informally, and most programs don't conduct interviews. 

I severely doubt there's anywhere where you'd be categorically out of the running because you didn't speak to anyone there beforehand.

I received my acceptance and wait lists at top schools this year without having contacted a POI, formally or informally (all I did was mention professors I might like to work with in my SOP), and I haven't been offered interviews anywhere (prior to or after being put on the wait list), so I support what czesc says - you can definitely get into a top program without contacting a POI, and some even discourage it (on their website it states that the profs get so many emails that it's an annoyance for them), and interviews are rare and usually not necessary for getting in.

Just found out I'm on the Michigan wait list …. I guess I should be honored? Anybody know about their historic ratios of wait list admits?

Unsure on ratios, but I was admitted from the waitlist last year. Just be warned- I wasn't informed until April 15th of my acceptance. Best of luck to you and everyone else on the list!

Waitlisted by George Mason. I'm about 95% certain I am going to accept my Davis offer.

I see that a lot of George Mason went out today. I didn't hear anything. I think I know what that means. dang.

congrats to you. I consider the waitlist a kind of honor now. but Davis is a sweet place too. best of luck friend

I see that a lot of George Mason went out today. I didn't hear anything. I think I know what that means. dang.

congrats to you. I consider the waitlist a kind of honor now. but Davis is a sweet place too. best of luck friend

I've only seen one other George Mason result for history. Last years Mason acceptances did not all come in the same week, so there is still hope. Good luck!

Hi, all.

I was wondering if anyone knows how the waitlist at UVa works?

I was on it last year, and remember getting a personalized letter (in an email attachment) about it, saying I was "high on the list". A few weeks later (still weeks before April 15), I received a summary "check the website" rejection -- presumably they'd already filled their desired cohort with their first choices, or at least filled the subfield slot I would have been able to take. One thing I didn't do was follow up the initial waitlist letter with an expression of interest, but that might be a good idea in this situation. 

p.s. Not two seconds after I'd posted this, someone from Charlottesville googled me. Can't help but feel there must be UVA faculty/students hanging around here who might know (and hold onto memories of) applicants' profiles!

Edited by czesc

Thanks, Czesc. That's a little disappointing, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I did reply to the graduate coordinator that I was still interested, but I didn't contact my POI.

Thanks, Czesc. That's a little disappointing, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I did reply to the graduate coordinator that I was still interested, but I didn't contact my POI.

I would highly recommend contacting your POI and expressing strong interest; say they're your top choice and you will hold off on other offers if there is a reasonable chance you might be admitted. (That doesn't have to be completely true.) It's also entirely appropriate to ask for details about how the waitlist works and what your chances might be. What I've heard from advisers is that you want to convince them you'll come if admitted.

Edited by levoyous