When is it appropriate to call and inquire about status of application?

iammaffyou

I have only heard from 1 of the 9 schools I applied too, which has me worried. However, judging from this website, my specific programs have not sent out invitations albeit the departments have (e.g., social psychology but not behavioral neuroscience). 

Has anyone heard from any of these PhD programs?

University of Vermont - Neuroscience 

SUNY Stony Brook - Psychology

SUNY Downstate - Neural and Behavioral Sciences

UC Davis - Psychology

CUNY - Neuroscience Collaborative (Applied through Psychology)

West Virginia University - Life Span Developmental 

New York University - Psychology/Neuroscience (PNS program I believe)

UCSD - Psychology

I've heard from University at Buffalo for Behavioral Neuroscience and have an interview, and UCSD sent out rejections already and have not received one nor an invite so I am confused with that.

Anyways, is it too soon to call and inquire about the status?

I called some of my schools today, and they were very friendly. Just don't call those schools that clearly state in their webssite: decisions will be made by xx/xx/xxxx.

But if the school doesn't offer that kind of info in their website, I don't see a problem if you call 5 weeks after you submitted your app.

Though it's not an exact science, the admissions results from last year are the best bet.

Though, I am tempted to have someone of the opposite sex call for me and ask about the application decisions. I wouldn't want there to be any question that I was the annoying anxious guy pestering the faculty/staff members. Definitely don't use your email or name.

You might as well call. Like they will decide not to accept you because you called too many timrs? I !mean, don't give your name if you don't want to, but really, it isn't going to make a difference.

I submitted one of my applications on November 1 (rolling admission decisions) and I was getting anxious because it's now 1/25, almost three months later. I was thinking maybe the long amount of time meant they had put me on the waiting list/pending admission. I considered calling for two weeks but kept putting it off thinking I shouldn't call. Finally I caved in and called last week and the person I spoke to on the phone was very nice about it, even looked up my name and told me that my application is in the second phase of review and I'll get my decision in another few weeks. I'm glad I called! It helped settle my nerves because now I know I still have a chance to be accepted :)

I submitted one of my applications on November 1 (rolling admission decisions) and I was getting anxious because it's now 1/25, almost three months later. I was thinking maybe the long amount of time meant they had put me on the waiting list/pending admission. I considered calling for two weeks but kept putting it off thinking I shouldn't call. Finally I caved in and called last week and the person I spoke to on the phone was very nice about it, even looked up my name and told me that my application is in the second phase of review and I'll get my decision in another few weeks. I'm glad I called! It helped settle my nerves because now I know I still have a chance to be accepted :)

I guess I'm just afraid to call because then if the news is bad, I'll know for sure I didn't get in. I hate the not knowing, but I'm scared of knowing too  :unsure:

@lucerovespertino - I know same here! But I think if it's been a long enough time (like 3 months in my case) it's better to call if they didn't tell you an exact notification time because who knows, there could be some hold on your application. It also shows that you are serious about their school. I was scared about possibly hearing a rejection over the phone but I wrote down reactions I would say if I got a rejection or was told I was on the wait list.. Like what can I do next year to improve my application or what can I do in the meantime to show the committee I'm serious about attending their program. Even if you get a rejection, it's better to find out early than wait because then you can start planning your attack for improving next year! :)

@lucerovespertino - I know same here! But I think if it's been a long enough time (like 3 months in my case) it's better to call if they didn't tell you an exact notification time because who knows, there could be some hold on your application. It also shows that you are serious about their school. I was scared about possibly hearing a rejection over the phone but I wrote down reactions I would say if I got a rejection or was told I was on the wait list.. Like what can I do next year to improve my application or what can I do in the meantime to show the committee I'm serious about attending their program. Even if you get a rejection, it's better to find out early than wait because then you can start planning your attack for improving next year! :)

I only applied to one school (5 weeks ago - Dec 22nd) and haven't heard anything above the standard "we received your materials" email. 

I called just now to ask when they will be looking at applications and it turns out that I applied for the summer term and not Fall as I had intended. Whoops. Hope that doesn't have any bearing on my application. I still can't believe I did that. After checking the app a million times to make sure references names were typed correctly and my uploads were all correct I mess up on that! 

Anywho, the woman on the phone was very nice and explained that they will start looking at apps shortly and will begin with those that have identified an advisor and then sort through the rest alphabetically. Assuming you didn't apply very recently, I don't see a problem with checking in. I would have been semi-screwed if I hadn't caught that issue. 

Best of luck, everyone!

@tachycineta - that's great news! Glad everything is fine with your app, aren't you relieved you called? Just better for your overall well-being :) This is exactly why I think it's a good idea for anyone to call programs that either 1. Haven't given you a confirmation email that ALL your materials are in and that your application is complete and forwarded to review or 2. Haven't gotten back to you in a long time

@tachycineta - that's great news! Glad everything is fine with your app, aren't you relieved you called? Just better for your overall well-being :) This is exactly why I think it's a good idea for anyone to call programs that either 1. Haven't given you a confirmation email that ALL your materials are in and that your application is complete and forwarded to review or 2. Haven't gotten back to you in a long time

I am certainly relieved. Applying for the wrong term could have been enough to reject me. So glad I called.