Penn GSE MsEd

phil413

What is the range of funding/scholarship we should benchmark to? Ie. what's considered a generous amount of funding/scholarship, and what isn't, in relation to Penn's MsEd programs / Ed programs in general?

Edited by phil413

What is the range of funding/scholarship we should benchmark to? Ie. what's considered a generous amount of funding/scholarship, and what isn't, in relation to Penn's MsEd programs / Ed programs in general?

I got $6.5k + a $3.5k work scholarship. I was definitely hoping for a bit more. I've seen quite a few HESA acceptances around the $13.5k mark. Applying to Harvard and Stanford and even if they give me nothing, I'd still be better off financially since their programs are shorter. Of course I have to get into those programs for that to even be a consideration...

I got $6.5k + a $3.5k work scholarship. I was definitely hoping for a bit more. I've seen quite a few HESA acceptances around the $13.5k mark. Applying to Harvard and Stanford and even if they give me nothing, I'd still be better off financially since their programs are shorter. Of course I have to get into those programs for that to even be a consideration...

Thanks for sharing, NoChance ( -- looks like you should be changing your username!). I just got admitted with some scholarship, which I'm really grateful for! Mine is a 1 year program, though!

Edited by phil413

Is anyone waiting to hear from the M.S.Ed. in Education, Culture and Society and/or know when a decision might be emailed out? Thanks. :]

Edited by mons

Is anyone waiting to hear from the M.S.Ed. in Education, Culture and Society and/or know when a decision might be emailed out? Thanks. :]

I believe this is a rolling admissions process, so it depends on when you submitted your application

I believe this is a rolling admissions process, so it depends on when you submitted your application

Hi phil413. I submitted on January 20th - so I'm assuming it should be soon? I haven't seen anyone else hear back on that program either is all. :/

Hi phil413. I submitted on January 20th - so I'm assuming it should be soon? I haven't seen anyone else hear back on that program either is all. :/

I submitted mine on 1/4 (appx) and heard back only 2 days ago! So it should be maybe in the next week or so is what I'd reckon.

Hi All,

I'm a current student at Penn GSE in the Higher Ed program. The amount of scholarship funding depends on the program you applied to. Some of my cohort members received scholarships of 5k or 10k. Yes, it's not much but you have to weigh your options and plus and minuses of attending Penn versus another school. Graduate assistantship information should be sent out the closer we get to preview weekend. But this might be changing due to our new program manager. restructuring the weekend. I recommend you attend preview weekend so that you can sign up for a slot to interview for a chosen office/assistantship you might be interested in. If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a message. Best of luck!! 

Got my acceptance for the Higher Ed program at the end of last week. 5K scholarship, am also wondering if everyone in the program gets at least that much.

Got my acceptance for the Higher Ed program at the end of last week. 5K scholarship, am also wondering if everyone in the program gets at least that much.

I haven't heard of anything less. Beside's not getting a scholarship offer. In theory, it's already a "privilege" to be admitted so the scholarship money is a perk. :mellow: Take that however you may want to. But that's what we were told.

I haven't heard of anything less. Beside's not getting a scholarship offer. In theory, it's already a "privilege" to be admitted so the scholarship money is a perk. :mellow: Take that however you may want to. But that's what we were told.

Ah, so some people don't get a scholarship offer at all? Knowing that makes me more appreciative of 5k, definitely.

You applied to and were accepted at a whole bunch of programs, so I have to ask, what made you choose Penn?? I know that as a school of education Penn rates pretty high, as does the higher ed program specifically, but the fact that it's a one-year program gives me pause. I worry not only that taking on all those classes while holding an internship will be crazy intense, but that after I've graduated employers will still think that I lack experience. Admittedly, I've been trying to creep on graduates of the program to see where they are now, and get some assurance that I'm not going to be unemployed forever, haha.

Ah, so some people don't get a scholarship offer at all? Knowing that makes me more appreciative of 5k, definitely.

You applied to and were accepted at a whole bunch of programs, so I have to ask, what made you choose Penn?? I know that as a school of education Penn rates pretty high, as does the higher ed program specifically, but the fact that it's a one-year program gives me pause. I worry not only that taking on all those classes while holding an internship will be crazy intense, but that after I've graduated employers will still think that I lack experience. Admittedly, I've been trying to creep on graduates of the program to see where they are now, and get some assurance that I'm not going to be unemployed forever, haha.

I chose Penn for several reasons: 1 year length versus 2 years (I've been out of school for 3, so going back for another 2 yrs would just be painful lol), the fact it's focused on higher education administration and not just student affairs  (it has given me more of a broader over view of how higher education works and not so narrowly focused on one area of higher education), the diversity of the work faculty are doing and the student body are real (you see it and feel it, it's not just a talking point in an admissions brochure), the fact the people are easy going within Penn and Philly. I was struck by how laid back the atmosphere felt for an Ivy League, and the campus was unique because its in a urban setting yet has a collegial feel to it.

It was difficult to make my final decision because I was offered full rides, but I'm glad I chose this program. It can be a little over whelming to take on 5 classes and a GA (graduate assistantship) but as long as you organize and time manage yourself, you'll be fine. Trust me, everyone gets the hang of it after a month or so. Your professors and GA's are also aware of how much you have on your plate, so they're understanding. There's also the cohort to lean on and drink with to help you through it lol (which is a perk of having a cohort). About 90% of the previous cohort is employed. The rest have chosen to travel or not work out of personal choice, so I wouldnt worry too much. Currently my cohort is getting into the job search gear, so I cant give you many facts yet. One person has already gotten a job because an opening happened in her current GA. So you never know. I think you just need to look at what you value and prioritze that. How much experience do you have in higher education? What do you want out of the program? If you're searching for a more slow paced program where you can focus on theory and research then perhaps 2 years would be best. We have people in the cohort that came straight out of undergrad as well as people who are shifting careers, so there isn't a typical "student". You just really need to have a clue of what you might want to get out of the program and graduate school in general. I hope this long winded answer helps lol. If not, feel free to message me any other questions.

Edited by emg28

Well, I just turned down the offer, so hopefully that frees up a spot for someone on the waitlist! Good luck at Penn everyone! It's an awesome school. :)

NoChance,

I am looking at Stanford ICE and Harvard IEP, as you did. I see you chose Harvard. Would you mind sharing your reasons for choosing Harvard's program? I think it would greatly help those of us still deciding!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything via email about Penn's upcoming Preview Event? The last email I got was saying we'd receive GA descriptions soon, and then I got a "check out our GA positions at Preview Event" from a partnering university earlier today. But nothing else.

My interest in attending is waning, to be honest.

Edited by tdix09

Is there a preview event for Penn? Admittedly I haven't done much research into it, but it seems like they have them on a daily basis that you have to schedule yourself. 

Let us know if you find anything out!

Has anyone heard anything via email about Penn's upcoming Preview Event? The last email I got was saying we'd receive GA descriptions soon, and then I got a "check out our GA positions at Preview Event" from a partnering university earlier today. But nothing else.

My interest in attending is waning, to be honest.

They said in that last email we would be getting the information on the 21st. 

They said in that last email we would be getting the information on the 21st. 

Thanks! I got an email a couple hours ago about an error stated in a previous email, but I definitely didnt get said previous email - wrote back just to make sure I havent missed anything else. Now I'm super stressed.

Since my acceptance over a month ago, I have not received one email from Penn. Is this a mistake?

I also don't know *anything* about the Preview Day this Friday, and don't really feel like going...don't exactly feel "wanted."

Since my acceptance over a month ago, I have not received one email from Penn. Is this a mistake?

I also don't know *anything* about the Preview Day this Friday, and don't really feel like going...don't exactly feel "wanted."

I was JUST saying this to my best friend, in comparing other programs. There hasn't been a lot of information put out, and it feels super inconsistent. 

@omnomnam: you should email/call the department, because there were emails that I missed too - I could tell because there were other messages that referenced past emails.

Edited by tdix09

I chose Penn for several reasons: 1 year length versus 2 years (I've been out of school for 3, so going back for another 2 yrs would just be painful lol), the fact it's focused on higher education administration and not just student affairs  (it has given me more of a broader over view of how higher education works and not so narrowly focused on one area of higher education), the diversity of the work faculty are doing and the student body are real (you see it and feel it, it's not just a talking point in an admissions brochure), the fact the people are easy going within Penn and Philly. I was struck by how laid back the atmosphere felt for an Ivy League, and the campus was unique because its in a urban setting yet has a collegial feel to it.

It was difficult to make my final decision because I was offered full rides, but I'm glad I chose this program. It can be a little over whelming to take on 5 classes and a GA (graduate assistantship) but as long as you organize and time manage yourself, you'll be fine. Trust me, everyone gets the hang of it after a month or so. Your professors and GA's are also aware of how much you have on your plate, so they're understanding. There's also the cohort to lean on and drink with to help you through it lol (which is a perk of having a cohort). About 90% of the previous cohort is employed. The rest have chosen to travel or not work out of personal choice, so I wouldnt worry too much. Currently my cohort is getting into the job search gear, so I cant give you many facts yet. One person has already gotten a job because an opening happened in her current GA. So you never know. I think you just need to look at what you value and prioritze that. How much experience do you have in higher education? What do you want out of the program? If you're searching for a more slow paced program where you can focus on theory and research then perhaps 2 years would be best. We have people in the cohort that came straight out of undergrad as well as people who are shifting careers, so there isn't a typical "student". You just really need to have a clue of what you might want to get out of the program and graduate school in general. I hope this long winded answer helps lol. If not, feel free to message me any other questions.

Sorry for taking forever to respond to this! Your response was definitely helpful and I appreciate long winded answers!

I'm thinking now that a big part of my decision will depend on what assistantship I'm able to get and how closely it aligns with my career goals. Admittedly, I'm somewhat worried about that process because I'm an absolute disaster when it comes to interviews.  :mellow: It's my understanding that with Penn you're basically guaranteed an assistantship, and that it'll almost certainly pay in some way, but there's still a level of uncertainty there that I'm not a fan of, haha. I was told that 60 or so people (possibly 70, I can't remember now) were accepted to the program, so theoretically if everyone matriculated there just wouldn't be enough GAs to go around. But maybe I'm getting too obsessed with worst case scenarios here. I'm going to try to attend preview days with a greater sense of calm. 

I only applied to 4 schools (in retrospect, probably should've applied to a few more), and Teachers College was one of them. They're offering me 8K compared to Penn's 5K (which, accounting for the cost of living in NY vs Philly, I guess that makes the offers pretty equal) but Penn's probably the way better choice? There's been a lot of talk in other threads about TC being a sort of diploma mill, and I guess it's turning me off the school. Anyway, if anyone has an opinion re: the higher ed masters programs at Penn vs Teachers College, I'd love to hear it!

• 1 month later...

HI guys, I was admitted to the MSEd program in Education, Culture and Society. I received scholarships and a graduate assistantship that will cover about half of my tuition. It is my ultimate goal to matriculate into a PhD program after I receive my MA.

Any recommendations or insight for folks who know they are looking to continue to a PhD after finishing a master's?

Thanks!

Edited by socialjusticeedu