CSULB MSW

tiennnthai

I got the email too. But they clearly state that its because the deadline is near. I just turned in my department application materials so this is just a formality in some cases for people.  

How does everyone feel about the new curriculum? I know CSULB's program has a good reputation, but what makes you want to attend even when a lot of things seem to be up in the air for the '14-'15 year? 

I honestly want to go to CSULB because I had a great time there during my undergrad years and I would definitely love to be back. I've seen USC and CSUF before and I don't like it as much. The campus is great, the people are friendly, and the professors would do anything to help you succeed (well, if you put in the effort). The reputation was one factor that made it difficult to choose at first. However, after speaking to so many MSW professors and admission counselors, I heard over and over again that it doesn't really matter where you get your degree, it's what you're willing to put into it. So what it all comes down to is the location of the school and the costs. Of course we would all love to go to USC for the prestige but not all of us have that kind of money, sadly. 

I honestly want to go to CSULB because I had a great time there during my undergrad years and I would definitely love to be back. I've seen USC and CSUF before and I don't like it as much. The campus is great, the people are friendly, and the professors would do anything to help you succeed (well, if you put in the effort). The reputation was one factor that made it difficult to choose at first. However, after speaking to so many MSW professors and admission counselors, I heard over and over again that it doesn't really matter where you get your degree, it's what you're willing to put into it. So what it all comes down to is the location of the school and the costs. Of course we would all love to go to USC for the prestige but not all of us have that kind of money, sadly. 

I turned in my application on Monday. From all the places I have applied to, CSULB seemed to have the most lively atmosphere. Not sure you can gauge a campus just on a quick visit. CSULA seemed much more calm. Also felt like it had a small campus feel. Not sure if it's true or not since these is an opinion based on a couple of quick visits. 

Edited by TallGuy

What are you guys' concentrations? I think there are only two right?

I picked Older Adults and Families (3yr Option) as my first choice. If not, then I am fine with the full-time program OR the Children Youth and Families.

My friend graduated from CSULB 2 years ago. She said her first choice was Children, Youth and Families (2 yrs). Then in late June CSULB contacted her and offered her the Older adults (2yr) concentration. She took it. She loved it. Found a job within 2 months.

Has anyone been accepted for the child welfare concentration?

They don't have a child welfare concentration, only Child and Family Wellbeing. Additionally, the new system doesn't accept you by concentration, only by 2yr, 3yr, and advance standing.