CSULB MSW

tiennnthai

Hey everyone!

can anyone shed some light on my current CSULB situation?

These are the emails ive gotten from CSULB:

Jan 15th : Application Acknowledgement 

Feb 12th: Social Work Department received my application 

Feb 13th: " Your application will take 8-15 weeks...Thanks. "

and thats all the communication Ive gotten from them besides me checking my status like every day on their status website. 

Today I got an email from Enrollment Services - Financial Aid regarding some paperwork I need to send in. 

Did anyone else get this email? if you were pending did you receive this email? 

I dont want to get my hopes up, but is this a good sign im being asked about fin aid? Or is this just a normal thing everyone else has gotten? 

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

can anyone shed some light on my current CSULB situation?

These are the emails ive gotten from CSULB:

Jan 15th : Application Acknowledgement 

Feb 12th: Social Work Department received my application 

Feb 13th: " Your application will take 8-15 weeks...Thanks. "

and thats all the communication Ive gotten from them besides me checking my status like every day on their status website. 

Today I got an email from Enrollment Services - Financial Aid regarding some paperwork I need to send in. 

Did anyone else get this email? if you were pending did you receive this email? 

I dont want to get my hopes up, but is this a good sign im being asked about fin aid? Or is this just a normal thing everyone else has gotten? 

Thanks!

I'm yet to receive an email about financial aid. Then again I applied the day before the deadline so I probably wont receive anything until another month from now since they are taking so long to reply to people. :/

Good luck I hope that is a good sign for you!!! :)

Hey Iber,

I am currently on pending status and did not receive an email today about financial aid. A while back I received an email from enrollment asking me to submit financial aid information if I had not already done so. that was before I was put on pending.

Hope that helps

:)

Edited by lucyyy19

Hey Iber,

I am currently on pending status and did not receive an email today about financial aid. A while back I received an email from enrollment asking me to submit financial aid information if I had not already done so. that was before I was put on pending.

Hope that helps

:)

Yes that definitely helps a lot! Do you know if that subject of that email was: 

CSULB Financial Aid-Additional Information Required ?

The email I received was very specific with instructions about 

• Click on the button at the bottom of the screen that says “Get My Financial Aid Forms”

• Follow the prompts on EACH screen to request your forms be sent via email.

• Follow these same steps in the event you need to request additional copies in the future.

Anyone else get that? 

Hmm, wonder why financial aid would go through faster than admissions. I've heard that department (financial aid) moved a bit faster though. 

Edited by MaggieDot

Hi Iber,

Where did you get this information? And any idea how many people applied? Does this total include all the programs (2-year, 3-year, advance standing, etc)?

Anyone else hear back? 

CSULB is accepting only 100 applicants for the fall... 

I sent an email to CSULB asking if they could tell me how many people apply and how many people they let it. This was their response: 

"We generally do not give that type of information out but for the 2-year program model, which was your first choice, we are accepting 100 applicants."

Did anyone get accepted to LB and is going to attend? My original plan was to go to LB but after being put on pending status, waiting until July for a response does not make me want LB as badly anymore. I know that LB has one of the older MSW programs but I hear a lot of people saying that they're telling students there will be changes going on in this upcoming year so it'll be less organized and less structured. What the hell.. what kind of convincing message is that. I am liking csulb less and less each day and this is coming from a student who went there for undergrad.

Did anyone get accepted to LB and is going to attend? My original plan was to go to LB but after being put on pending status, waiting until July for a response does not make me want LB as badly anymore. I know that LB has one of the older MSW programs but I hear a lot of people saying that they're telling students there will be changes going on in this upcoming year so it'll be less organized and less structured. What the hell.. what kind of convincing message is that. I am liking csulb less and less each day and this is coming from a student who went there for undergrad.

I have not heard anything from them. I submitted my application on February 13th. Did you apply really early?

July? Wow that is late.  School starts the next month!  For what it's worth, when I called CSULB's MSW office they told me "the bulk of the acceptance letters will be out by the end of May" which is frustratingly late, but much less so than July.   I applied 2/15 and have not heard back yet. 

Can anyone speak more specifically to the aforementioned organization/program changes or whatever is happening that is making CSULB "less organized and structured" this year? 

Accepted: SDSU, CSUN, CSF

Pending: SFSU, CSUEB, CSULA, CSULB

July? Wow that is late.  School starts the next month!  For what it's worth, when I called CSULB's MSW office they told me "the bulk of the acceptance letters will be out by the end of May" which is frustratingly late, but much less so than July.   I applied 2/15 and have not heard back yet. 

Can anyone speak more specifically to the aforementioned organization/program changes or whatever is happening that is making CSULB "less organized and structured" this year? 

Accepted: SDSU, CSUN, CSF

Pending: SFSU, CSUEB, CSULA, CSULB

At CSULB's information session, we were told that they were in the stages of redesigning the curriculum and concentrations (I think the fall 2014 classes are actually online now, though, or maybe that's just BSW). Students will no longer have to declare their concentration at the start of the program, but will choose toward the end of fall semester. We will also not be required to do a thesis, and instead can choose to do either a thesis or a capstone project...like a community project with a research paper. 

From what I sensed, it wasn't so much that it's less organized and structured, but more like this year is going to be like a trial run for the program redesigns. They really did emphasize that students should apply to the program if they wouldn't mind being a part of that process and working with them to improve upon any changes, if needed. Again, this is just what I got from it.

Edited by Adri0507

Thanks for that clarity Adri0507!  Super helpful.  Sounds like they are moving in the direction CSUN has in place, with a "generalist" program (no concentrations) and a capstone project.  Thanks again!

Officially on Pending Status. I really want to call the school and ask them how likely someone with pending status is to get in and how its determined which pending students get the first open slots...

Anyone know? 

Officially on Pending Status. I really want to call the school and ask them how likely someone with pending status is to get in and how its determined which pending students get the first open slots...

Anyone know? 

I was placed on pending status today too! I'm not sure how it works though, :( at least we might have a chance...

Just received an email that I have been wait listed for csulb...

I was already rejected from Csula and csun...

I'm waiting on one more school and that's csudh...

USC is still accepting applications till may 1st....

I'm thinking of trying there just in case but idk since the deadline for USC has already past.

Do you all think it's even worth the try to apply to USC now?

It seems like most ppl are getting into USC

Anyone know the acceptance rate for USC?

When did you guys who received any decision (accepted, rejected, pending, or waitlisted) get the email that your app was forwarded to the department? I applied early but had a few things missing. I hoping that's why I haven't received anything yet..