Possibly getting kicked out of / leaving PhD program!

geekman1

Okay, so the title may be slightly misleading and I also apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. Here is my situation:

I am currently attending a PhD program (in a math-related field). I am in my second year, so I've attended for 3 semesters now. To 'advance' in the program, you must pass the qualifying exam. You get 3 chances at this exam. I took it the first time the end of my first year and failed at the PhD level. I took it again this winter and failed again.

I've heard many stories from people, that no one fails 3 times... that the professors will just conditionally pass you the third time. But, I tend to not believe such rumors. Also, why would they fail me twice if they wanted me to stick around? I don't know what will change the third time I take it.

At this point, I am at a horrible crossroads... Either I stick around and take it again. At which point, if I fail, I assume I will be immediately kicked out of the program and have nowhere to go. Or, I can just not take it the third time and start looking for other employment. It feels terrible to have to make this decision. I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or if I'm just venting, but I really don't know what to do. A PhD has always been my dream, yet at this point I am so disheartened and numb to the whole idea. I hope everyone else is doing ok though! Thanks for listening to me!

Well, it sounds like your only option is to take it. Is there something you're doing wrong? Can you go over past tests or talk to someone about how to improve? Exhaust all your options. At the very least, don't give them any reason to say you didn't do everything you could.

I think you're assuming a lot. 

For instance, you assume that if you fail you're immediately kicked out of the program with nowhere left to go. While that may indeed be the case, it's not what I've seen at any other program. 

More likely, if you fail, you're put on the MS track to graduate that semester and leave with a coursework only MS. 

At least, that's what I've seen happen to the friends who've been in your situation. But it's something you should ask about, for sure. 

if a PhD is your dream, then you should definitely at least try the test one last time. can you ask your advisor or other academics/students to discuss both your performance and approach to studying for the exam-- you got this far, so obviously you have the capability, perhaps with a bit of help and a lot of work you could pass. If you dont, at least you tried and as other poster said you will likely get an MS

Dont let fear of failure hold you back, Muster up some courage and get determined to try all avenues before accepting defeat.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

At this point, I am at a horrible crossroads... Either I stick around and take it again. At which point, if I fail, I assume I will be immediately kicked out of the program and have nowhere to go. Or, I can just not take it the third time and start looking for other employment. It feels terrible to have to make this decision. I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or if I'm just venting, but I really don't know what to do. A PhD has always been my dream, yet at this point I am so disheartened and numb to the whole idea. I hope everyone else is doing ok though! Thanks for listening to me!

Is there a possibility that you will be allowed to exit gracefully with a MA, despite failing the qualifying exams,  and can take a new swing at some place where you feel like you will succeed better? 

Your situation sounds awful a lot like the stats/econ at Cornell and I know how stress that possibility of failing the exam is...  Best of luck and never fear failure! 

I'll be praying that you will pass your test this third time around.  

I'm not sure if this is allowed in your grad school, but maybe you can take a week or two vacation to cool your head before taking the test again.  A good rest can do you wonders.