How accurate is US News Report?

EngineerGrad

Hi guys, I have a premium account at the US news report database, so I have access to the past average GRE and GPAs for the schools i applied to. When I compare those values with people who post their results here on grad cafe I see a huge discrepancy.

Most of the schools I applied to have a 160-162 average in the quant gre. I got a 160 (80th percentile) so I thought I was in good shape and didn't bother retaking the gre. When I discovered grad cafe and started to see the results page, I just couldn't believe them! It's so rare to find people in that 160-162 range! everyone has 165+ in their quant score and that just makes me wonder: how?!

Any of you in the same position? I found a big gap from the data coming from grad cafe and the US news report data...

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I would say take things you see on GradCafe with a grain of salt. You can usually tell who you can believe. There are a lot of well respected, long time members who constantly give good advice. Read what some people post. If they've never written a complete sentence but claim a 170 verbal and 6.0 writing, maybe think twice. I've seen people who've only ever posted 2-3 times who registered for GradCafe just to tell someone that they got a perfect GRE score without studying. Also, keep in mind, there are a lot of very good, intelligent, dedicated, hard working students who post on GradCafe. If you're a serious member of GradCafe, that shows you probably care and you like to be prepared. A lot of people in the "real world" don't know these things and aren't prepared when they do things. They just kinda wing it.

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

I definitely think that gradcafe is NOT representative of most applicants. The people who find their way here are likely to be somewhat more neurotic - and therefore, on average, better-qualified - than most applicants. And those who post their stats/achievements for everyone to see likely have better stats than most if they're confident enough in them to post them!  

I definitely think that gradcafe is NOT representative of most applicants. The people who find their way here are likely to be somewhat more neurotic - and therefore, on average, better-qualified - than most applicants. And those who post their stats/achievements for everyone to see likely have better stats than most if they're confident enough in them to post them!  

I was talking more about the results posted in the result page, which are anonymous. I mean, I took the GRE in august, and when I got my scores I thought I met the cut off, but when I check the results page, there are just so many extraordinary scores that it makes me wonder if I should've retaken the gre. My scores were V153/Q160/AW5.5 (i'm international, hence low verbal) but now I don't know if that'll be enough to get me through the cut off stage, if all applicants have similar stats from grad cafe results page =(

Also, I'm applying for masters

I was talking more about the results posted in the result page, which are anonymous. I mean, I took the GRE in august, and when I got my scores I thought I met the cut off, but when I check the results page, there are just so many extraordinary scores that it makes me wonder if I should've retaken the gre. My scores were V153/Q160/AW5.5 (i'm international, hence low verbal) but now I don't know if that'll be enough to get me through the cut off stage, if all applicants have similar stats from grad cafe results page =(

Also, I'm applying for masters

Where have you applied for? you are definitely in for most EE programs as your AW is exceptional. By the way, what's your specializition in EE? Have you got any offer of interview? 

I am actually surprised by the low scores some of the admittees got. I got a 170 on the quantitative, but I would have thought that would be very common among CS and math applicants. I had also expected that native speakers would get higher verbal and AW scores. I am an international and scored 162 verbal and 4.5 AW which I am glad of. I am aware that GRE scores don't really matter as long as you are above a certain cut-off, but still I would have expected applicants to top tier universities to have near perfect scores.

Where have you applied for? you are definitely in for most EE programs as your AW is exceptional. By the way, what's your specializition in EE? Have you got any offer of interview? 

Thank you! You were actually the first person who told me something encouraging... I applied to UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, UF, USC and Boston U. I interviewed at UF, Berkeley and JHU. Haven't heard from USC nor BU yet. And I applied for control/power. 

Are you EE as well? What is your background? Where did you apply to?

I am actually surprised by the low scores some of the admittees got. I got a 170 on the quantitative, but I would have thought that would be very common among CS and math applicants. I had also expected that native speakers would get higher verbal and AW scores. I am an international and scored 162 verbal and 4.5 AW which I am glad of. I am aware that GRE scores don't really matter as long as you are above a certain cut-off, but still I would have expected applicants to top tier universities to have near perfect scores.

I thought the same... I didn't retake the GRE once I noticed that MIT's quant average was 164, GA Tech 162, Berkeley 162.

I guess they want the "balance" thing, and they might admit people with okay scores, but great background/research/work experience... Those factors we don't have access, so I wonder what's going on

Thank you! You were actually the first person who told me something encouraging... I applied to UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, UF, USC and Boston U. I interviewed at UF, Berkeley and JHU. Haven't heard from USC nor BU yet. And I applied for control/power. 

Are you EE as well? What is your background? Where did you apply to?

I'm EE ,too. But mine is electronics and haven't heard back for any interview yet from the schools I applied for. The V+Q for both of us is the same but my Q is a little bit higher and AW of mine is far lower than yours. As I haven't heard back yet, I'm worried about my status. Is that means rejection or there is a chance to get an admit without any interview? What could you say based on what you heard from other people?  

I'm EE ,too. But mine is electronics and haven't heard back for any interview yet from the schools I applied for. The V+Q for both of us is the same but my Q is a little bit higher and AW of mine is far lower than yours. As I haven't heard back yet, I'm worried about my status. Is that means rejection or there is a chance to get an admit without any interview? What could you say based on what you heard from other people?  

Doesn't mean a rejection at all. It's too early for decisions. Did you apply for PhD or MS? Usually PhD applicants should be contacted soon (mid-february) and MS applicants by early-march. And yes, some programs accept you without interviews. Are you international? What schools did you apply?

Doesn't mean a rejection at all. It's too early for decisions. Did you apply for PhD or MS? Usually PhD applicants should be contacted soon (mid-february) and MS applicants by early-march. And yes, some programs accept you without interviews. Are you international? What schools did you apply?

I applied for a PhD and my toppest choice is Stanford. I 'm international, too. As I haven't heard them back for an interview, I am getting worried. Do they interview applicants or just offer admission unfunded first without any interview. How you heard about their process?   

I applied for a PhD and my toppest choice is Stanford. I 'm international, too. As I haven't heard them back for an interview, I am getting worried. Do they interview applicants or just offer admission unfunded first without any interview. How you heard about their process?   

I'm not familiar with Stanford's admission process... Sorry

I think a large reason is the nature of the test. I think doing perfect often requires a knack for learning "tricks" that let you really quickly know or intuit answers. While many CS and Math students could logic their way through all of the questions, it would take a lot longer than the minute or so you have to complete them. It doesn't help that you'd also need to use their crappy calculator or calculate by hand, both of which add to the time constraint. I don't think most of these students are generally well prepared to quickly hand-wave through a lot of low-intensity problems, with a full bladder, dry mouth, and a lot of the other issues involved with the test itself.

I think a large reason is the nature of the test. I think doing perfect often requires a knack for learning "tricks" that let you really quickly know or intuit answers. While many CS and Math students could logic their way through all of the questions, it would take a lot longer than the minute or so you have to complete them. It doesn't help that you'd also need to use their crappy calculator or calculate by hand, both of which add to the time constraint. I don't think most of these students are generally well prepared to quickly hand-wave through a lot of low-intensity problems, with a full bladder, dry mouth, and a lot of the other issues involved with the test itself.

<3

I agree that the 'skills' the GRE tests are more like test taking skills and time management skills than anything else. Still I was surprised, since I thought the problems were extremely easy and time was plenty. You just need to be aware of the time constraints. I can imagine that if you have not taken a single timed practice test you might underestimate the pace you'd have to work in. I suppose I am just very fortunate to be used to (severe) time contraints on tests. It probably heavily depends on your education whether you are used to it. Averages per country also vary a lot, although that may to due to a range of factors.

I agree that the 'skills' the GRE tests are more like test taking skills and time management skills than anything else. Still I was surprised, since I thought the problems were extremely easy and time was plenty. You just need to be aware of the time constraints. I can imagine that if you have not taken a single timed practice test you might underestimate the pace you'd have to work in. I suppose I am just very fortunate to be used to (severe) time contraints on tests. It probably heavily depends on your education whether you are used to it. Averages per country also vary a lot, although that may to due to a range of factors.

good for you

According to US News, for Stanford, these are the stats: 159 Verbal, 165 Quant, 4.24 AW

Thanks, I looked up the "results" section of thegradcafe and observed in 2011 & 2012 the first wave of decision acknowledgements for Stanford, Berkeley and other top tiers were begun late Jaunary. 

EngineerGrad, I also got 160 quant score and am applying for Materials Sci & Engineering... and was also surprised with the amazing quant/verbal scores on the results page! It's definitely making me nervous too. I think if I don't get accepted to any school, I will need to focus on raising my quant score for the second round.

Bless your heart, sweetie.

EngineerGrad, I also got 160 quant score and am applying for Materials Sci & Engineering... and was also surprised with the amazing quant/verbal scores on the results page! It's definitely making me nervous too. I think if I don't get accepted to any school, I will need to focus on raising my quant score for the second round.

Good luck for both of us! :-)