Goldberg Score -- what is it?

newpsyche

Does anyone know what exactly the Goldberg Formula is? (For those who aren't familiar with the Goldberg Score, it's a formula involving your GRE scores and GPA, with--I believe--a maximum of 12.)

I've searched all over, but can't find the actual formula.

Edited by newpsyche

Never mind! Found it online. If anyone is interested it's:

(Verbal GRE+Math GRE)/200 +Undergrad GPA in the old format, and (Verbal GRE+Math GRE)/42.5 +Undergrad GPA in the new format

• 3 weeks later...

What's meant by old/new format for GPA?

just figured it out. he's saying the first formula is for old format GRE scores. the second formula is for new format GRE scores. GPA is same regardless.

10.79, I feel that my stats are pretty average all around (average GRE, average GPA).

Although, if I convert my new GRE scores to the old format (via the ETS conversion table) and plug it into the other formula, I get a 9.99. Interesting...

What exactly is this score used for? Is it a metric for admissions somewhere?

I believe it is used for Psy.D.  grad school admissions, if I remember correctly.  If it is what I am thinking it is, it is a way for a high combined GRE score to compensate for a low GPA, and, for a high GPA to compensate for a low combined GRE score. A "leveling of the playing field", if you will.  There is a similar index score for high school students called...the Index Score.  It is basically computed with the high school GPA and either the ACT or SAT score.  

What's considered a good/bad Goldberg score?

I believe a 9.5 "moves your application forward", so anything at or above a 9.5.  It might vary by program, though.