• Continental
    • Analytic
    • Eastern Philosophy
    • Feminist Philosophy
    • Other
    • Philosophy of Mathematics
    • Philosophy of Logic
    • Philosophy of Science

I'm just glad to see that ethics isn't particularly popular.  I was tempted to list ancient as an AOI on my SOPs, only to set my application apart from the rest.

I did this for a few programs--I am wondering how many others do it. I was simply told by too many professors that, when applying to a specialty program, focusing on that same AOI is more likely to hurt than help you.

It's a shame that is has to be political like that, but hey, what's one to do?

Edited by axiomness

My AoI's are philosophy of agency/action, philosophy of language, German Idealism & Continental philosophy.

I noticed that philosophy of agency/action isn't listed. Is that subsumed under some other category and I don't realize it?

My AoI's are philosophy of agency/action, philosophy of language, German Idealism & Continental philosophy.

I noticed that philosophy of agency/action isn't listed. Is that subsumed under some other category and I don't realize it?

No, but I've seen it listed as a sub metaphysical type of philosophy belief before.

Not that I know of. I was only allowed up to 20 options for the poll, and there are far more areas in philosophy than that, so unfortunately I did not include action theory.

I'm really surprised that there aren't more people reporting Phil Science as an AOI. It's a pretty sexy field right now, with a lot of graduate programs specializing or offering programs in that area.

I was under the impression that this might be more popular as well. Maybe the phil science people aren't the type to post on grad cafe for some reason.

I'm really surprised that there aren't more people reporting Phil Science as an AOI. It's a pretty sexy field right now, with a lot of graduate programs specializing or offering programs in that area.

My whole undergraduate career is based on it, surprised to see there are so few others.

My whole undergraduate career is based on it, surprised to see there are so few others.

In my experience, people who start off interested in philosophy of science tend to drift towards the philosophy of some specific science (physics, psych, cogsci, biology, etc.). Maybe that helps explain why not a lot of people list philosophy of science as an AOI. 

Edited by aduh

In my experience, people who start off interested in philosophy of science tend to drift towards the philosophy of some specific science (physics, psych, cogsci, biology, etc.). Maybe that helps explain why not a lot of people list philosophy of science as an AOI. 

I think that in this context, anyone interested in the philosophy of a particular science (which I am) would choose philosophy of science in this poll.

It is weird that no one else in this forum is interested in philosophy of mathematics. On that note, is it a good thing to have an area of interest that is not a lot of applicants are interested in or would it harm the applicants of such area?

It is weird that no one else in this forum is interested in philosophy of mathematics. On that note, is it a good thing to have an area of interest that is not a lot of applicants are interested in or would it harm the applicants of such area?

I'm interested in philosophy of math! However, it's not quite a central interest of mine. I'm not sure why I didn't select it, maybe it wasn't there at the time. 

As for your question I don't know for sure but I can't see it harming you unless perhaps no one in the department ever really works in that area. 

Its good to have less competition, as long as there is actually a desire for philosophy of math students....which, from what I can tell, is a rare demand.

Question: Did some people select 'analytic' as their only area of interest?  How does that work?  I'll be honest with you.  I'm not sure what that would mean.  I understand what people typically mean by analytic philosophy, and I certainly fit the analytic description more than the alternative.  But I don't think of 'analytic philosophy' as an area of interest for me.

Question: Did some people select 'analytic' as their only area of interest?  How does that work?  I'll be honest with you.  I'm not sure what that would mean.  I understand what people typically mean by analytic philosophy, and I certainly fit the analytic description more than the alternative.  But I don't think of 'analytic philosophy' as an area of interest for me.

I took analytic in a historical sense but you do make a good point that there could be several interpretations of this. I was thinking the philosophy of Russell, Frege, Wittgenstein among other 20th century analytic philosophers. 

I took analytic in a historical sense but you do make a good point that there could be several interpretations of this. I was thinking the philosophy of Russell, Frege, Wittgenstein among other 20th century analytic philosophers. 

Yeah, after I wrote this post, I wondered if this is meant in the historical sense.  Like, "I study contemporary analytic philosophy," i.e. 20th century analytic philosophy, or something.  And that's a cool field.  Maybe I should have done that...

Yeah, after I wrote this post, I wondered if this is meant in the historical sense.  Like, "I study contemporary analytic philosophy," i.e. 20th century analytic philosophy, or something.  And that's a cool field.  Maybe I should have done that...

I took it to mean history of analytic. Otherwise, its just the set of about 10 other subfields.