Favorite philosopher/philosophers?

greencoloredpencil

Wow I like that you named all women. I used Dr. Lackey a ton in my writing sample, she's a pretty great!

Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply to Northwestern? (Not that using someone in your writing sample means you should apply to their program.)

Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply to Northwestern? (Not that using someone in your writing sample means you should apply to their program.)

$$$ - I could only apply to so many places and Northwestern got the cut because I liked other places similarly ranked better. I would have been interested in going there for sure, but not enough to take out one of the other places I wanted to apply to as well.

Applying for grad school in sociology, but I was a double major in sociology and philosophy in undergrad =) I hope you don't mind if I post!  This is one of my favorite topics, and it's been so interesting reading all of your responses! 

So, I must say Popper, Wittgenstein, and Kierkegaard.  I've gotta add, currently, Alphonso Lingis as well.  From what I've read from him and from meeting him, I absolutely love him.

Anybody coming in from the Bio-linguistics' network? Chomsky, Pinker and the likes..the debates on evolution of language, adaptation versus exaptation and theories of mind ensuing there forth ?

I've been lurking (with the account I made when I applied for the M.A. program I'm now finishing) but I'll get in on this! Kierkegaard made me realize I wanted to do philosophy, so he's been a constant influence. I've learned a lot from late Wittgenstein (I especially admire his method). And these days my views are probably closest to Hegel's.

I like all of Wittgenstein but I'm tempted to disagree with you. I really love the tractatus 

It's tough. I really love all of Wittgenstein, almost indiscriminately, but the Philosophical Investigations can't help but edge out the TLP for me. The TLP is incredible for what it is, and I find it poetic, moving, and (obviously) remarkably thoughtful and rigorous. I do lean towards thinking that his unique methodology shines best, though, in the Philosophical Investigations. But neither here nor there. I'm just glad to know my love of Wittgenstein is shared. 

It's tough. I really love all of Wittgenstein, almost indiscriminately, but the Philosophical Investigations can't help but edge out the TLP for me. The TLP is incredible for what it is, and I find it poetic, moving, and (obviously) remarkably thoughtful and rigorous. I do lean towards thinking that his unique methodology shines best, though, in the Philosophical Investigations. But neither here nor there. I'm just glad to know my love of Wittgenstein is shared. 

I think I lean this way as well. Plus, considering my interest in Aesthetics, there's a bit more for me to work with in PI and PPF than in the Tractatus.

I think I lean this way as well. Plus, considering my interest in Aesthetics, there's a bit more for me to work with in PI and PPF than in the Tractatus.

You probably know this, but there's a ton of good stuff on aesthetics in Culture and Value. My favorite LW line comes from that collection: "What's ragged should be left ragged."

You probably know this, but there's a ton of good stuff on aesthetics in Culture and Value. My favorite LW line comes from that collection: "What's ragged should be left ragged."

Yeah, I've read Culture and Value and his Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology, and Religious Belief. My favorite out of CV is the story about his sister's house though. I wrote a paper on it in connection with the Lectures and Conversations, among other things. I think that's really the heart of his aesthetic orientation. 

Ha. The best part is that I'm not even sure what you're raising your eyebrows about: the claim that RB learned a lot from late Wittgenstein or the claim that RB's views are closest to Hegel's. 

I just cannot believe there is anyone alive that actually agrees with Hegel. He is the perfect example of an old white guy who was wrong about everything.

I just cannot believe there is anyone alive that actually agrees with Hegel. He is the perfect example of an old white guy who was wrong about everything.

An incisive analysis. How much have you read? My guess is that someone who lists "not continental" as their AOI may be a bit too partisan to have made a decent effort at charitably interpreting Hegel.

I think some pretty prominent contemporary philosophers, such as John McDowell and Robert Brandom, would be inclined to disagree with you on that. 

To answer the OP's question: Kierkegaard & Wittgenstein.

EDIT: Replaced unhelpful snark.

Edited by Monadology

I think some pretty prominent contemporary philosophers, such as John McDowell and Robert Brandom, would be inclined to disagree with you on that. 

To answer the OP's question: Kierkegaard & Wittgenstein.

EDIT: Replaced unhelpful snark.

Not to mention specific Hegel scholars like Pippin. I wouldn't be too bothered by it though. He/she seems thoroughly analytic in approach, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

An incisive analysis. How much have you read? My guess is that someone who lists "not continental" as their AOI may be a bit too partisan to have made a decent effort at charitably interpreting Hegel.

I actually studied under one of the absolute top Hegel and German Idealism scholars alive. Not even he thinks that Hegel was right about all that much.

In my opinion, the fact that we teach Hegel today is embarrassing. It is very unclear, pretends to be relevant to the real world/open to investigation but is instead viciously arbitrary and based on anecdote and intuition.

Anyone who actually thinks that Hegel's view of the world is correct must have a methodology polar opposite of mine, and because I see no way to reconcile philosophical positions between people who share different methodologies (they will simply question-beg each other) I might as well leave it at that.

Edited by TheVineyard