Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Hi everybody! I just found this group a few days ago and I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one freaking out! My friends and family are tired of hearing me talk/stress about Fulbright on a daily basis but it seems like everyone here get it!! I'm stress-refreshing my inbox like there's no tomorrow!

I'm in DC too!

I am using a similar "writing" process, haha! My thesis is on ADHD and neuropsychological assessment (more specifically the executive functioning deficits associated with the disorder and how they differ among the subtypes of ADHD in clinical testing.) luckily, I'm using data from a pre-compiled database at a neuropsych clinic, so I really just need to do a bunch of literature review stuff and data analysis. I'm SO glad I don't have to collect any new data because I know I'd never finish on time if that were the case. What's your thesis on?

I actually applied for the Fulbright study/research grant to enroll in a Master's program in Neuro-Cognitive Paychology at LMU-Munich. If I end up getting it, I am going to be so ecstatic! What could possibly be better than spending time in Munich AND getting a graduate degree with minimal expenses, right?!

that's awesome! i actually work in a neuropsych lab, and we are currently look at sensory processing in children with autism in regards to hearing and cognition and taste/smells. because of the extent that i've learned in my lab, i have thought a lot about going into that field of research (the lab is under brain and cognitive sciences, but because i have experience with children with intellectual disability and autism, they took me on). 

but my area of study is wayyyyyyyyy different than that. I am a history student, currently looking at theories of atrocity and the personal accounts of soldiers who perpetuated mass murder on the eastern front in 1941. i am looking at a lot of Wehrmacht orders and well as Tagebücher describing official activities of the army and comparing them to diaries and post-war interviews. Basically, what I have found is that a lot of men were never explicitly required to participate in the mass killings and that there were often no consequences for making oneself scare during these operations, so my thesis is examining different theories that explain men's motivations to participate. not exactly light reading, haha.

aww munich is so fantastic!!!! my fingers are crossed for you!

Hey all!

I've been a lurker for awhile and thought it was time to say hello! Research candidate for organ study in France here, eagerly refreshing my email every 10 minutes, despite my midterm tonight at 7pm for which I should be reviewing!

How are many of you handling graduate school applications in the process? I have several "on hold" and will certainly accept the Fulbright if it comes to fruition... But I worry about giving up the generous stipends offered! Any suggestions or ideas as to what you're doing?

Good luck to all!!!

that's awesome! i actually work in a neuropsych lab, and we are currently look at sensory processing in children with autism in regards to hearing and cognition and taste/smells. because of the extent that i've learned in my lab, i have thought a lot about going into that field of research (the lab is under brain and cognitive sciences, but because i have experience with children with intellectual disability and autism, they took me on). 

but my area of study is wayyyyyyyyy different than that. I am a history student, currently looking at theories of atrocity and the personal accounts of soldiers who perpetuated mass murder on the eastern front in 1941. i am looking at a lot of Wehrmacht orders and well as Tagebücher describing official activities of the army and comparing them to diaries and post-war interviews. Basically, what I have found is that a lot of men were never explicitly required to participate in the mass killings and that there were often no consequences for making oneself scare during these operations, so my thesis is examining different theories that explain men's motivations to participate. not exactly light reading, haha.

aww munich is so fantastic!!!! my fingers are crossed for you!

I'm studying autism, too! I finished undergrad a while ago, but I'm trying to move into Dev. psych, and my area is primary language development in kids with asd vs. kids without asd! I worked as an ABA therapist for several years, and then I had a research internship last summer where I was finally in a lab looking at this stuff (my main topic is pragmatic (social) language).  My Fulbright proposal is really heavily related to research in this field as well! And to tie everything back to psych_33, one of the major components we will be examining is EF! 

I wish I could meet all of you that are posting in here! What a great group of people! No wonder it takes so long to make Fulbright decisions--- they have a lot of awesome people to pick from!

Edited by RosyPosy68

I'm studying autism, too! I'm in Dev. psych, and my area is primary language development in kids with asd vs. kids without asd! I worked as an ABA therapist for several years, and then I had a research internship last summer where I was finally in a lab looking at this stuff (my main topic is pragmatic (social) language).  My Fulbright proposal is really heavily related to research in this field as well! And to tie everything back to psych_33, one of the major components we will be examining is EF! 

I wish I could meet all of you that are posting in here! What a great group of people! No wonder it takes so long to make Fulbright decisions--- they have a lot of awesome people to pick from!

That is awesome! I am just finishing my undergrad now, so I will have some time before I really determine where life is taking me. While i am not qualified to it myself, I get to watch a lot of diagnostic visits (ADOS/ADI for every child/parent, regardless of if they have a previous diagnosis or not) and am also very interested in language acquisition. I work a lot with children outside of my lab and it's so interesting to me how my behaviour has changed since starting to work there. Parents with younger children are also starting to approach me with certain concerns (i.e. nonverbal kids or what to do about stimming) and it is still strange to me how applicable what i have learned in a lab setting is to my daily life

edit: just so you're clear my first piece of advice is always to go to our city's autism clinic! not pretending to be an expert or anything :) but i have given advice on different ways of relating to children or and assure parents that what they think is  "strange" (like sleeping problems and anxiety) is very normal in children with autism

Edited by kconhead

Hey all!

I've been a lurker for awhile and thought it was time to say hello! Research candidate for organ study in France here, eagerly refreshing my email every 10 minutes, despite my midterm tonight at 7pm for which I should be reviewing!

How are many of you handling graduate school applications in the process? I have several "on hold" and will certainly accept the Fulbright if it comes to fruition... But I worry about giving up the generous stipends offered! Any suggestions or ideas as to what you're doing?

Good luck to all!!!

Yay organ!

It depends on the school, of course, but I think a lot of them are willing to allow you to defer enrollment if you get a prestigious fellowship like Fulbright. If you get it, certainly talk with your top choice schools where you've been accepted and see if they're able to do anything like that!

I'm studying autism, too! I finished undergrad a while ago, but I'm trying to move into Dev. psych, and my area is primary language development in kids with asd vs. kids without asd! I worked as an ABA therapist for several years, and then I had a research internship last summer where I was finally in a lab looking at this stuff (my main topic is pragmatic (social) language).  My Fulbright proposal is really heavily related to research in this field as well! And to tie everything back to psych_33, one of the major components we will be examining is EF! 

The clinic I'm doing my research practicum at also does a lot of work on autism! My primary research interest is neurodevelopmental disorders in general (though I've done a little more research on ADHD than I have on others like ASD or dyslexia) but I'm actually planning to conduct neuroimaging research on dyslexia and dyscalculia during my Master's studies if I do end up getting the Fulbright to LMU-Munich. Last August, I contacted a professor there who was in the process of moving her lab from Harvard's medical school back to LMU-Munich permanently and she offered me a research assistant position in her lab! I'm really hoping that her affiliation letter will weigh heavily on the commission's decision because she's worked with some Fulbrighters before.  :)

It's rad that there are so many like-minded individuals here! If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that Fulbright organizes meetings in the host countries either halfway through or at the end of the Fulbright year (I can't remember which), either way, I'd love to meet all of you there if we make it through!

Edited by psych_33

Day dawns, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my notification letter. I shall do no homework, have no coherent conversations, submit no thesis, and know no peace. I am the constant Fulbright Forum reader. I am the neurotic email refresher. I pledge my sanity and hopes to the Fulbright for this day and all my days to come.

Any Game of Thrones fans recognize the Fulbright version of the Night's Watch Oath?

Has anyone with an ETA changed their proposed project idea, and/or do you know how feasible it is to do so? I've thought about a number of different projects in the seven months since I applied, and the ETA project definitely seems less circumscribed than that of the research grants. Basically, how does the process of enacting your project happen once in your country? I was never quite clear on this...

Day dawns, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my notification letter. I shall do no homework, have no coherent conversations, submit no thesis, and know no peace. I am the constant Fulbright Forum reader. I am the neurotic email refresher. I pledge my sanity and hopes to the Fulbright for this day and all my days to come.

Any Game of Thrones fans recognize the Fulbright version of the Night's Watch Oath?

This is glorious. Thank you for that. I really need to read the second book now... Maybe that will be my reward if there is good news this week (tomorrow. Please.)!

Hey! A friend of mine brought her husband with her while she was doing her ETA in Germany. If you have some specific questions I can forward to her I'm more than sure she'd be willing to answer them. Just PM them to me.

Cool! Thanks, just did.