Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

And so it begins again...

Edit: I see you on here lurking with me, other UK applicants. OH GOSH please let today be the day...

Haha. I definitely am. I woke about 10 times in the middle of the night every time my e-mail notification went off. :blink:

Edited by Chris1

A day may come when the courage of men fails. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY.

You just quoted the love of my life.

No but seriously... I even brought up LOTR/Tolkien in my Fulbright UK interview.

Edited by RosyPosy68

Does Fulbright ETA provide any funding toward graduate study after completing the program? I got into some programs I'd love to attend but are costly... I've heard that Fulbright can serve as a 'Sponsor' toward graduate study, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Question is still pertinent to my interests.

Edited by laowhy

Has anyone with an ETA changed their proposed project idea, and/or do you know how feasible it is to do so? I've thought about a number of different projects in the seven months since I applied, and the ETA project definitely seems less circumscribed than that of the research grants. Basically, how does the process of enacting your project happen once in your country? I was never quite clear on this...

We briefly talked about this a little earlier in the thread.

Basic conclusion is that if you're trying to change host affiliation it's definitely something you should alert the Fulbright Commission about. I had friends who changed up their research a bit, but were still under the same host in the same city.

One overarching question to ask yourself is whether or not Fulbright would have funded this new research  if it had been what your original application had detailed. Fulbright selects projects of merit, not so much individuals. Bear that in mind before you contact them.

Question is still pertinent to my interests.

I've never heard of Fulbright providing any additional funds to pursue graduate studies. By sponsor, maybe they're saying that the Fulbright Commission in your respective country would be willing to vouch that you're a bonafide researcher quasi employed by them? That helps.

Has anyone with an ETA changed their proposed project idea, and/or do you know how feasible it is to do so? I've thought about a number of different projects in the seven months since I applied, and the ETA project definitely seems less circumscribed than that of the research grants. Basically, how does the process of enacting your project happen once in your country? I was never quite clear on this...

We briefly talked about this a little earlier in the thread.

Basic conclusion is that if you're trying to change host affiliation it's definitely something you should alert the Fulbright Commission about. I had friends who changed up their research a bit, but were still under the same host in the same city.

One overarching question to ask yourself is whether or not Fulbright would have funded this new research  if it had been what your original application had detailed. Fulbright selects projects of merit, not so much individuals. Bear that in mind before you contact them.

Thanks for replying! I saw those posts too. Like I said though, I'm asking about the ETA project, not the Study/Research Fulbright project. Since the project component isn't as essential to the overall ETA application as it is for someone applying to the Study/Research fellowship (you don't need institutional affiliation for the ETA like you do the S/R), I was imagining (hoping!) that there might be more flexibility for the ETA's smaller-scale project.

Edited by mylime

Thanks for replying! I saw those posts too. Like I said though, I'm asking about the ETA project, not the Study/Research Fulbright project. Since the project component isn't as essential to the overall ETA application as it is for someone applying to the Study/Research fellowship (you don't need institutional affiliation for the ETA like you do the S/R), I was imagining (hoping!) that there might be more flexibility for the ETA's smaller-scale project.

Hey Mylime,

A friend of mine is an ETA in Sarajevo this year. While this is drawing only from her experiences, I think you'll be just fine if you decide to change a side project for ETA. I don't think Fulbright is too concerned about the side projects anyway-- you're primary responsibility is the teaching. 

Ah I'm sorry! Yes there is! My project, for instance, changed tremendously once I got to my school. I helped lead an after school tutoring program. Didn't even know I'd have an opportunity like that.

Sorry for the confusion on my end.

It's so quiet today! I'm ready to hear some news! Also, this is not going to help, but it's exactly two weeks earlier than many notices that went out last year on March 31st! And we found out 1st round two weeks early, so maybe, possibly?