Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

No I still haven't heard anything! I've been checking my email all day. Has anyone else who applied to Nepal found out yet? 

Thanks! June 18th is the date for DC right? When do you have to be in Nepal by? I'm trying to figure out summer plans, if I end up getting the Fulbright. 

Nope.  Still nothing regarding Nepal.  I have two job offers that I have to make a decision about by next Wednesday, so I'm really hoping to get an answer soon!

UK grantees: so y'all got an email from Marla Mazer today, right? She talks about a participant consent form that we've to upload. I am assuming this is the same as the participant release form on the SSP. Is there anyone who thinks the two are different and if so where does one find the consent form?

Nope.  Still nothing regarding Nepal.  I have two job offers that I have to make a decision about by next Wednesday, so I'm really hoping to get an answer soon!

I hope you hear back soon ! Such a stressful place to be in .. was there a few weeks ago ugh 

Nope. Still nothing regarding Nepal. I have two job offers that I have to make a decision about by next Wednesday, so I'm really hoping to get an answer soon!

Are you research or ETA? Maybe those are sent on different days? Gah! Why are they making it so difficult?

Edited by GCF999

Terms & Conditions question -- the portal says to sign and upload the Grant Authorization Document and the Terms & Conditions Form (for Commission countries). For my country, the Grant Authorization document has a place to sign and date the form at the bottom, but the Terms & Conditions is just information, with no place to sign & date the form.

Anyone else have this experience? Do you just sign it somewhere at the bottom of the page and upload it?

Are you research or ETA? Maybe those are sent on different days? Gah! Why are they making it so difficult?

GCF999-I'm ETA, but I saw that another Nepal research applicant hasn't heard yet, so I'm puzzled.  Congratulations on your good news!

UK grantees: so y'all got an email from Marla Mazer today, right? She talks about a participant consent form that we've to upload. I am assuming this is the same as the participant release form on the SSP. Is there anyone who thinks the two are different and if so where does one find the consent form?

I assumed it was the same document also. You should join the "U.S.-UK Fulbrighters 2015-2016" Facebook group. 

For those interested, the young professional program for the United Nations test will be December 2015..Great program to look into.  I was an alternate two years in a row for a Fulbright Scholar grant..Different then the ETA, as I've been working for past 5 years after graduate school. I am fighting for 1 grant, so it's little harder. Anyhow,  I'm a bit irritated, but oh well!!!!! things work out in the end. I was just offered a job with the UN in Vienna. Thus, I am leaving the US in a month to start.. Great job, with the locality pay, 95,000 euros a year to start.. Anyways, I will try one more year for the Fulbright, but I will do it in conjunction with my job, and teach at a University in Vienna..

I did not go through the YPP program, but I see it as I have progressed through this process. 

Can't believe it took me this long to find this forum! What a great resource, even though looking at the spreadsheet only adds to the anxiety. But being in the same boat helps me cope. Sending out good vibes to all of you!

Welcome ! I just got back from NZ a few months ago, what an amazing place that would be to get a Fulbright !! I Hope you get the grant ! What would your topic/focus be ?! Good luck 

Yeah, I got the email as well. I already signed the Consent form and uploaded it to SSP as the participant release form. It was approved by the IIE folks so I assume that form is good to go.

Others have commented about the Terms & Conditions form. I emailed Marla back and asked if the T&C form the UK Commission sent us was the same form. Apparently it is not. The one the Commission sent us was a country-specific one, but Marla is asking for a "general" T&C form that should have also been sent to us from the Commission (confusing, eh?). I emailed the UK Commission coordinator about this and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep y'all posted.

Welcome ! I just got back from NZ a few months ago, what an amazing place that would be to get a Fulbright !! I Hope you get the grant ! What would your topic/focus be ?! Good luck 

Isn't NZ awesome?! I was there last spring and am dying to go back. Just so happens that one of the world's most respected evolutionary parasitologists is at U of Otago, so getting this Fulbright would be a dream come true. Hoping to study mechanisms of how parasites are able to influence the behavior of their hosts. Have you heard back about your application status yet?

A question for other alternates. What are our chances of being bumped up? I am an alternate for a research grant to Panama. Also, do they tend to call rather than send an email if you get promoted? I'm trying to be optimistic. Any thoughts?

Edited by miri1776

GCF999- have they told you what day in August the student researchers need to be in Kathmandu yet? 

A question for other alternates. What are our chances of being bumped up? I am an alternate for a research grant to Panama. Also, do they tend to call rather than send an email if you get promoted? I'm trying to be optimistic. Any thoughts?

I am an alternate for Panama, too! Yikes. I asked the program manager and they basically said they can't say from year to year what the chances are. It seems very much up to chance! I am crossing my fingers for us both. I assume I would just get an email, but who knows...

I am an alternate for Panama, too! Yikes. I asked the program manager and they basically said they can't say from year to year what the chances are. It seems very much up to chance! I am crossing my fingers for us both. I assume I would just get an email, but who knows...

Are you an alternate for the research or eta? I hope we hear back. I'm just thankful I can still wish for it.

i'm not sure about the chances. last year on the fulbright google sheet, about every other country had one person who got bumped up. then again, not every finalist fills out the google sheet. and they seem to always send an email with the subject "fulbright application status" and ask to "discuss the status of your application" in the email. then you call and they offer the award. if fulbright is contacting you as an alternate, you can assume that you are getting bumped up. they have no reason to contact you otherwise. ¡buena suerte!

i'm not sure about the chances. last year on the fulbright google sheet, about every other country had one person who got bumped up. then again, not every finalist fills out the google sheet. and they seem to always send an email with the subject "fulbright application status" and ask to "discuss the status of your application" in the email. then you call and they offer the award. if fulbright is contacting you as an alternate, you can assume that you are getting bumped up. they have no reason to contact you otherwise. ¡buena suerte!

Thank you! Very helpful. Gracias, amigo!