Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

well just had my interview.. Very quick about 12 or so minutes.. My time was later in day UK time,. they sounded like they wanted to get through the interview..lol like they spent a whole day interviewing. They interview for all UK grants.. 

We'll see. 

Congrats on getting through it -- I hope it went well for you!

I got further confirmation on the Marshall, so I just sent an email withdrawing my Fulbright application. So if anyone else here was applying for Imperial College London, that's less competition now! Since the website says they generally recommend 1.5-2x the number of applicants as there are spots, I wonder if that means there were only 2 people up for that specific slot, since there's only 1 Fulbright for Imperial...

Oops. I replied to the "no-reply" email. Now I have to figure out who to actually email.

Edited by pterosaur

well just had my interview.. Very quick about 12 or so minutes.. My time was later in day UK time,. they sounded like they wanted to get through the interview..lol like they spent a whole day interviewing. They interview for all UK grants.. 

We'll see. 

Good luck to you Bluefit. I hope you get the fellowship. I am assuming that yours is the scholar program?

I got further confirmation on the Marshall, so I just sent an email withdrawing my Fulbright application. So if anyone else here was applying for Imperial College London, that's less competition now! Since the website says they generally recommend 1.5-2x the number of applicants as there are spots, I wonder if that means there were only 2 people up for that specific slot, since there's only 1 Fulbright for Imperial...

Congratulations on the Marshall! I also wonder the same. For schools with only 1 slot, they can only recommend 2 since 1.5 doesn't make sense. Good luck to you on your endeavors and good luck to the other person applying to Imperial.

I don't think the 1.5-2 thing is accurate. I got recommended for a school with one grant and got rejected outright, not selected as an alternate, which I assume would be the only other option if they only interviewed 2 people for 1 grant. I think it is flexible with smaller grants.

Good luck to you Bluefit. I hope you get the fellowship. I am assuming that yours is the scholar program?

Yah mine was the Scholar program. so we'll see. I just have to ponder my thought on how much the interview actually weighs. They are fast, abrupt, and appear like they are a bit disinterested..lol Maybe it was my app..lol  They said majority decision is on what has already been written or noted down about your application in the first screening process. Those notes are detailed. I think they already know who is getting selected.. A buddy of mine got it, said he felt about 70 percent after interview. He was selected.. Same thing fast quick and not really taking in your project..

Congratulations on getting recommended. It's really difficult to say because every year is different. Last year, the notifications were sent out on the 18th of March. The US-UK Fulbright Commission website has March 2015 for notifications. I would be very delighted if we hear in March. I am applying to Leicester's International Relations and World Order program. Which school are you interested in?

Thank you! I hope we get decision notifications in March too! I am applying to the University of Exeter's Medieval Studies MA program. Do you know when the phone interviews will take place? I haven't gotten an email with that info yet, so that worries me a little. UK is one of the countries that requires phone/Skype interviews, right? Thanks! 

Not too many people applying for research in Norway, I imagine, but I heard from my sponsor there that the Fulbright Oslo committee began looking over the recommended applications last week.  Hopefully that means we might hear something sooner rather than later!

Thank you! I hope we get decision notifications in March too! I am applying to the University of Exeter's Medieval Studies MA program. Do you know when the phone interviews will take place? I haven't gotten an email with that info yet, so that worries me a little. UK is one of the countries that requires phone/Skype interviews, right? Thanks! 

I have heard some conflicting reports for interviews. Some of the stuff on the U.K.-U.S. site seems to say that the interviews are not always required and that some applicants might go through it for further clarification, depending on the program you are applying to. My own program advisor also told me the same. I also haven't heard anything yet, but there is still time and maybe hopefully won't need to do an interview. 

I have heard some conflicting reports for interviews. Some of the stuff on the U.K.-U.S. site seems to say that the interviews are not always required and that some applicants might go through it for further clarification, depending on the program you are applying to. My own program advisor also told me the same. I also haven't heard anything yet, but there is still time and maybe hopefully won't need to do an interview. 

I agree with your sentiments. Having said that if you look at the FAQ section (particularly questions 1 and 5), it's clear that not getting an interview is as good as rejection. Question 5 asks, "I haven't been selected for a telephone interview. Can I find out why? and the answer is: The application pool is large and highly competitive. Given the number of applications received, it is not possible for the Commission to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications. The website says the telephone interviews will be between Mid January and Mid February so fingers crossed for all of us. 

Was recommended for an ETA in Thailand... and now I am spending all my time obsessing and 'lurking' while waiting for final decisions... I haven't been able to reread my application for fear I may find some sort of mistake!

Does anyone know if Thailand ETAs have interviews? Also does anyone know what the process is like between now and final decisions? 

Hello all, I'm new here and was hoping for some advice! I've been recommended as an ETA to Russia. Next up is a Skype interview in Russian. My Russian professor has conducted the interviews for Fulbright before and said only basic questions were asked... questions about yourself, your family, where you live, where you work, why you love Russia, etc. However, I've seen some people post that they were required to describe their planned ETA life in great detail - what they wanted to teach their students, what methods they want to use, what your motivations are. I've only taken two years of Russian, so I'm pretty nervous about these advanced-sounding questions. 

Does it vary from interviewer to interviewer what questions are asked? Or is there a standard procedure they have to follow?

I met with my Fulbright campus adviser, who is brand new this semester, and left the meeting just feeling more anxious and worried than I already was. 

I'm so nervous - my blood pressure was 140/98 after I left the meeting and went to work, where I got sick and had to see a nurse (turned out I was having a panic attack - had my first one ever during the application process because it stressed me out so much, and well, here we are again in round two), and it's never been a digit above the standard 120/80 my entire life. 

I just wish I could get a straight answer from someone about what I need to be prepared for. 

Can anyone here provide me with some relief? LOL

Hi everyone! :)

I'm an ETA Taiwan finalist.  I'm so nervous but excited at the same time! I wasn't sure if I was a strong candidate or not, especially after reading some example statements from current Fulbrighters. But I guess I did okay to get this far! Good luck to everyone!

The best and most we can do is have a positive outlook and wait :)

Hi everyone!

Excited that I've been recommended for the Germany ETA, though if it is true that there are twice as many recommended as there are eventually selected, then I guess something like 70% of total applicants for the Germany ETA were recommended, since the overall acceptance rate is like 35%... so, not feeling *that* special, but still excited.

Also, is anyone else applying for a USTA for teaching English in Austria? I can't find ANY information in terms of acceptance rate, etc. online about this. They both have about the same number of placements (140) but it seems to be way less people apply to Austria...

Hi all-- what are folks (especially if there are any ETA folks out there who are interested in jobs in public and private school teaching) doing about their other job applications as they wait to hear back? I'm in a kind of tricky situation where I am graduating in May with my MA and certification in secondary education. I am simultaneously applying to the Fulbright and public and private school jobs in the cities that my significant other is applying to PhD programs in. He based his grad school list to a large extent on where I would feel comfortable living/be able to easily find a teaching job, and is starting to hear back positive responses. Due to public school hiring timelines, I won't have to worry about public school jobs until after I hear back from Fulbright unless I am an alternate, but I might hear back from private school jobs within the next few months. Given the web that is cross-state teacher reciprocity, private school jobs are more appealing to me right now, but I'm concerned about saying no to a perfect job only to not get the Fulbright, or accepting a job and then hearing a yes from the Fulbright commission. I also feel like applying for many, many jobs before I hear anything from Fulbright might not be the best use of my very limited time as I go through student teaching. Thoughts from those who are applying to the ETA but don't have grad school applications or plans for next year? 

Hi all-- what are folks (especially if there are any ETA folks out there who are interested in jobs in public and private school teaching) doing about their other job applications as they wait to hear back? I'm in a kind of tricky situation where I am graduating in May with my MA and certification in secondary education. I am simultaneously applying to the Fulbright and public and private school jobs in the cities that my significant other is applying to PhD programs in. He based his grad school list to a large extent on where I would feel comfortable living/be able to easily find a teaching job, and is starting to hear back positive responses. Due to public school hiring timelines, I won't have to worry about public school jobs until after I hear back from Fulbright unless I am an alternate, but I might hear back from private school jobs within the next few months. Given the web that is cross-state teacher reciprocity, private school jobs are more appealing to me right now, but I'm concerned about saying no to a perfect job only to not get the Fulbright, or accepting a job and then hearing a yes from the Fulbright commission. I also feel like applying for many, many jobs before I hear anything from Fulbright might not be the best use of my very limited time as I go through student teaching. Thoughts from those who are applying to the ETA but don't have grad school applications or plans for next year? 

Hello! I have been wondering the same thing. I'm graduating with my MATESOL in May, and people keep asking what I plan to do if I don't get the Fulbright. I'm really hoping we hear early enough to still get some job applications in if need be. For now, I'm just sort of holding out... which I hope I don't regret! I think if I don't get it, I might try to apply at one of the million language schools here, since they aren't as strictly based on a semester or academic year. The teaching certification nightmare makes me more inclined to apply for private schools as well... I do think there's usually a new flurry of teaching jobs over the summer, too, although waiting that long to figure out my plans for next year makes me very anxious!

Hey everyone!

I was recommended for a research grant to Argentina but haven't heard anything from the in-country agency. I was expecting to perhaps hear something about a Skype interview because I hear that's the next step. Has anyone else heard about interviews yet? Really hoping for the best! Good luck all!

Hey everyone!

I was recommended for a research grant to Argentina but haven't heard anything from the in-country agency. I was expecting to perhaps hear something about a Skype interview because I hear that's the next step. Has anyone else heard about interviews yet? Really hoping for the best! Good luck all!

Congratulations on your recommendation! Have you heard that Argentina specifically does Skype interviews?

(I ask because I've seen references to interviews for UK and Russia and vague mentions of a couple of other unspecified countries, but I don't know anything about Argentina in particular. The vast majority of countries don't do any interview.)

Hello all, I'm new here and was hoping for some advice! I've been recommended as an ETA to Russia. Next up is a Skype interview in Russian. My Russian professor has conducted the interviews for Fulbright before and said only basic questions were asked... questions about yourself, your family, where you live, where you work, why you love Russia, etc. However, I've seen some people post that they were required to describe their planned ETA life in great detail - what they wanted to teach their students, what methods they want to use, what your motivations are. I've only taken two years of Russian, so I'm pretty nervous about these advanced-sounding questions.

Does it vary from interviewer to interviewer what questions are asked? Or is there a standard procedure they have to follow?

I met with my Fulbright campus adviser, who is brand new this semester, and left the meeting just feeling more anxious and worried than I already was.

I'm so nervous - my blood pressure was 140/98 after I left the meeting and went to work, where I got sick and had to see a nurse (turned out I was having a panic attack - had my first one ever during the application process because it stressed me out so much, and well, here we are again in round two), and it's never been a digit above the standard 120/80 my entire life.

I just wish I could get a straight answer from someone about what I need to be prepared for.

Can anyone here provide me with some relief? LOL

Hi there - I'm a lurker, but your post lured me out of the shadows because, while I'm not applying for a Russian ETA, I do have some experience dealing with and helping with nerves like this, and I thought I'd share some things that have helped me in the past. :) You're free to take or leave any of this, but I thought I'd put it out there in case it will help you (or anyone else):

- Mindfulness techniques can be really good for this sort of stuff. (If you're not familiar with the concept, think of it as meditation with the spirituality left out - though if you're spiritual and want to do some straight-up meditating, I encourage that too!) Mindfulness has strong therapeutic benefits and is widely used in a range of therapies (CBT, for example). A basic body scan (http://www.mindful.org/mindfulness-practice/the-body-scan-practice) is a good place to start as a beginner, but there are lots of other techniques as well, and just doing a bit of Internet research for "mindfulness" should turn up lots of great resources. :)

- Secondly, being prepared never hurt anyone in a situation like this! :) Is there a tutor you can chat with a few times before your interview? A Russian friend or classmate you can grab lunch with? The more in-shape your Russian is, the less daunting this will be, and every little bit helps.

- Finally, there's a phrase I was taught some years ago that I've found reassuring in times of stress: "Lean forward." It's the idea of being alert and proactive in difficult moments, because there is a world of difference between lying on your back on a sled and sliding helplessly down a steep, snow-covered slope and sitting upright on a sled on the same slope. You have to go down the slope either way - you might as well do it on your terms and assert the control you do have. Leaning forward is a choice: both in terms of your actions and your attitude. It's the difference between doing something and having something done to you. And I know that maybe sounds simplistic and trite, but I find that when I choose to "lean forward" just in terms of my attitude towards things like interviews, I feel much better. :)

Edited by windinthetrees

Congratulations on your recommendation! Have you heard that Argentina specifically does Skype interviews?

(I ask because I've seen references to interviews for UK and Russia and vague mentions of a couple of other unspecified countries, but I don't know anything about Argentina in particular. The vast majority of countries don't do any interview.)

Hi waiting279 and thanks! I have a friend currently doing an ETA in Colombia and she said that Skype interviews were pretty regular and that she was contacted to do one immediately after hearing about her recommendation. She said it was a total of 8 minutes and basically seemed to confirm a basic mastery of the Spanish language.  I assummed that other Latin American countries might be similar....has anyone else recommended for research or ETA in Latin America been asked to do an interview?

Thanks everyone!

Hi waiting279 and thanks! I have a friend currently doing an ETA in Colombia and she said that Skype interviews were pretty regular and that she was contacted to do one immediately after hearing about her recommendation. She said it was a total of 8 minutes and basically seemed to confirm a basic mastery of the Spanish language.  I assummed that other Latin American countries might be similar....has anyone else recommended for research or ETA in Latin America been asked to do an interview?

Thanks everyone!

OK, and good to know! Maybe interviews are more widespread than I realized.

Hi! Actually, I was in the same (or a similar enough) situation last year. I applied for an ETA to Macedonia (ended up being an Alternate), applied to four graduate schools, and started looking for teaching positions (I have my 7-12 English certification). One of the issues is that you can't possibly get a quicker answer from Fulbright. At the same rate, why would you want to go the private school route if you're graduating with state certification? The obvious choice, and I mean that sincerely and candidly, would be to apply to positions in public schools to ensure that you have job security. As far as I know, the majority of private schools do not provide anything even comparable to tenure, as they're not required to adhere to the same state standards. Nevertheless, you'll have to decide which is more appealing to you at this point: an offered teaching position or the possibility of teaching abroad for a year. If you opt for the Fulbright and do not receive it, you could always substitute daily and keep your eyes open for a long-term position.

Edited by tspier2

Hi tspier2--thanks for the advice! I am applying to private school jobs mainly because my SO is considering grad schools in New York, which does not make it easy for me to transfer my Virginia certification, but if he decides to go to school in a state that does not require the insane amount of extra testing that New York does, I will consider the public schools. I also have found/been told that private schools tend to be more receptive of individuals who are applying for jobs outside of the areas that they student-taught.  Tenure is also less of an issue with me because we'll be moving when my SO does postdocs or accepts a faculty or research position after he finishes his PhD in five or six years anyway. I'm also applying in the Balkans (Bosnia & Herzegovina) so I imagine I'll find out quite late in the game.  Out of curiosity--did you end up seriously applying for teaching positions last year? 

Relevant to deciding between jobs and Fulbright, I have some bad/good news. A while back I mentioned also being a finalist for the Presidential Management Fellows program, and last week I was offered a job with that program. And I decided to take it. Yes, even after all the excitement/stress over the Fulbright. I decided I would rather accept a secure, well paying job now than wait another 3 months, since I've been unemployed for a while. I was pretty blindsided by the offer, and it was funny how it worked out considering that last week I was so set on the Fulbright. I think this job can still lead to the international education/policy career I'm interested in though. 

I'm excited but also hope I don't have regrets in the future. Who knows, I might apply to Fulbright again after this fellowship is over. 

Just wanted to wish everyone else good luck in the coming months.