Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Still not sure if I will have to interview for Australia... I'm guessing it's less likely since there is no foreign language?

I was also recommended for Australia and haven't been contacted for an interview.

That's awesome! What type of grant did you apply for?

Study/research for an astronomy project. I also came to the forum to see if some folks had interviews for Australia, so I was interested to see that you didn't and thought I'd reply in kind. Good luck!

Hi tspier2--thanks for the advice! I am applying to private school jobs mainly because my SO is considering grad schools in New York, which does not make it easy for me to transfer my Virginia certification, but if he decides to go to school in a state that does not require the insane amount of extra testing that New York does, I will consider the public schools. I also have found/been told that private schools tend to be more receptive of individuals who are applying for jobs outside of the areas that they student-taught.  Tenure is also less of an issue with me because we'll be moving when my SO does postdocs or accepts a faculty or research position after he finishes his PhD in five or six years anyway. I'm also applying in the Balkans (Bosnia & Herzegovina) so I imagine I'll find out quite late in the game.  Out of curiosity--did you end up seriously applying for teaching positions last year? 

Oh, I hear that! I've heard that New York can be difficult when transferring certification from out-of-state. I did end up reapplying for the ETA to Macedonia, and I'm a finalist again; if we both end up getting it, we will have to meet up at some point. I'd love to speak to another teacher. Speaking of which, what did you say your area was? I'm sorry if you mentioned it before. I only come on here sporadically. :-) In any case, I didn't end up applying for any of the positions I looked at. It didn't end up becoming an issue, as I received my graduate school offers in February.

Still not sure if I will have to interview for Australia... I'm guessing it's less likely since there is no foreign language?

I was a 2012 Fulbrighter to Australia. Things can, of course, change from year to year, but in my year there were no interviews. You're probably off the hook. ;-)

Current Fulbrighter in Spain wishing luck to all of you! Remember being in your shoes last year. It's been a lucky year for us in Spain: we got to meet the king of Spain and had a fully funded trip to Morocco. The Fulbright year will be the best year of your lives! Good luck, everyone.

Recommended for a research grant to South Africa! I saw this e-mail moments after I found out the student I've been tutoring all year finally passed her math standardized test (on her 3rd try) and will be able to graduate! Ahh.

Also recommended for SA research grant!

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Excited that I've been recommended for the Germany ETA, though if it is true that there are twice as many recommended as there are eventually selected, then I guess something like 70% of total applicants for the Germany ETA were recommended, since the overall acceptance rate is like 35%... so, not feeling *that* special, but still excited.

Also, is anyone else applying for a USTA for teaching English in Austria? I can't find ANY information in terms of acceptance rate, etc. online about this. They both have about the same number of placements (140) but it seems to be way less people apply to Austria...

Hi laurajean_p! I also applied for the USTA but haven't had any luck finding stats either... I'm going to try to do some research now, so I'll post here if I find anything.

I don't think the 1.5-2 thing is accurate. I got recommended for a school with one grant and got rejected outright, not selected as an alternate, which I assume would be the only other option if they only interviewed 2 people for 1 grant. I think it is flexible with smaller grants.

It sounds like you're right - the stat doesn't seem to apply to the country you applied to. I believe the 1.5-2 stat is specifically for the Germany ETA applicants!

Best,

Anna 

Edited by irvine36

For further information about the next stage in the selection process, go to the website:  http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates 

This link here mentions the general 1.5 - 2 ratio near the bottom of the page, but it might work differently in some cases?

Hi laurajean_p! I also applied for the USTA but haven't had any luck finding stats either... I'm going to try to do some research now, so I'll post here if I find anything.

Good luck with both! Would you mind telling me what you put down as your preferences? And do you have any idea how likely it is to get one of your choices?

I put down Berlin (I know it's unlikely, but I figured it wouldn't hurt), Hessen, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (I had no good reason for this except that pictures I've seen of the area are beautiful). I was thinking that if I put down Brandenburg and ended up teaching in a school in Potsdam, I could still live in Berlin... but someone told me most of Brandenburg is really, really conservative.

I'm also thinking about how the total number of people selected at some point exceeds the total number of placements? If you add together the 140 who are initially selected and then the alternates who are eventually accepted...

I really should stop driving myself crazy by thinking about all this...

Edit: just remember one more thing I wanted to mention. I heard that rather than the proposed budget cut, Fulbright actually received an extra $1.8 million in funding. Does anyone know if this means there may be more grants available than usual, or what?

Edited by larajean_p

Good luck with both! Would you mind telling me what you put down as your preferences? And do you have any idea how likely it is to get one of your choices?

I put down Berlin (I know it's unlikely, but I figured it wouldn't hurt), Hessen, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (I had no good reason for this except that pictures I've seen of the area are beautiful). I was thinking that if I put down Brandenburg and ended up teaching in a school in Potsdam, I could still live in Berlin... but someone told me most of Brandenburg is really, really conservative.

I'm also thinking about how the total number of people selected at some point exceeds the total number of placements? If you add together the 140 who are initially selected and then the alternates who are eventually accepted...

Edit: just remember one more thing I wanted to mention. I heard that rather than the proposed budget cut, Fulbright actually received an extra $1.8 million in funding. Does anyone know if this means there may be more grants available than usual, or what?

That information on additional funding is great news! From what I've read in the past additional funding = additional grants, but at the same time there's no way to know how the extra grants would be distributed or if they would choose to increase individual grant packages instead.

That information on additional funding is great news! From what I've read in the past additional funding = additional grants, but at the same time there's no way to know how the extra grants would be distributed or if they would choose to increase individual grant packages instead.

And keep in mind that the countries they partner with share the expense as well. So there has to be approval from both countries before there can be an increase in awards. 

Hey everyone!  

For those of you mailing your transcripts yourself - did you include anything in the envelope like a cover letter or just all of your old transcripts?  

Thanks and best of luck for final notifications!

Hey everyone!  

For those of you mailing your transcripts yourself - did you include anything in the envelope like a cover letter or just all of your old transcripts?  

I didn't mail them in myself; however, the address it's required to go to already includes "official transcripts." As a result, I doubt you'd need to include anything else. Just make sure they are all sealed and official.

Hey everyone!  

Nah, I think in this case they're just looking to verify what you put down in your application, you don't have to go the extra mile. Good luck!

Lots to do even at this stage! I've gotten two emails re: my application for research/study in China: one with detailed instructions about how to submit affiliation paperwork (they don't want us to wait because it's such a long process), and one reminding us to apply to the approved programs for the Chinese CLEA. They want affiliation paperwork ASAP, and by Feb. 6th at the latest.

The deadline for the CLEA-approved program run by Berkeley was Jan. 15th (oops). They accept applications later than that if the program isn't full, though. I'd rather get into that one (it's in Beijing, where I applied to do the project), but I'm applying to CET's program as a backup. I studied abroad in Beijing on a CET program and had a very good experience overall.

Edited by Oliebollen

Sure! My choices for the Fulbright are Baden-Württemberg, Berlin, and Hessen - in that order. As strange as it sounds, Berlin isn't one of my favorite German cities, but I listed it b/c I talked about wanting to work with immigrants in my essays, and Berlin has quite a few immigrants living near/in the city. I didn't want to pick NRW or Bayern b/c I worked as an au pair near Munich and studied a semester at Bonn, so I want to try something new if I were to get the Fulbright! I'm not sure exactly on the statistics behind how many people get their first preference vs. 2nd or 3rd, but I have heard they try to place you in one of your preferred cities. 

For the USTA, my two preferences are Vienna (long shot!) and Lower Austria. 

Also, I've been over analyzing and trying to figure the same things out, too!! I'm trying to just focus on other things until March!

Edited by irvine36

Sure! My choices for the Fulbright are Baden-Württemberg, Berlin, and Hessen - in that order. As strange as it sounds, Berlin isn't one of my favorite German cities, but I listed it b/c I talked about wanting to work with immigrants in my essays, and Berlin has quite a few immigrants living near/in the city. I didn't want to pick NRW or Bayern b/c I worked as an au pair near Munich and studied a semester at Bonn, so I want to try something new if I were to get the Fulbright! I'm not sure exactly on the statistics behind how many people get their first preference vs. 2nd or 3rd, but I have heard they try to place you in one of your preferred cities. 

For the USTA, my two preferences are Vienna (long shot!) and Lower Austria. 

Also, I've been over analyzing and trying to figure the same things out, too!! I'm trying to just focus on other things until March!

Hello! I have also applied for both the ETA and the USTA programs and am really happy to have found some other people freaking out, however slightly, as well! 

My preferences were BW, NRW, and Sachsen for Germany.  

For the USTA App I chose Vorarlberg and Tirol. The only stats I could find were this year's placement numbers by state, but I could not find anything about total applicant numbers.

Do we know for sure that Germany will get back to us in March? In the past I know it has been this early, but I'm kind of nervous about hearing about Fulbright AFTER the April due dates for the USTA acceptance (in case I get accepted to that program). Does anyone have any reassurance? 

So this morning I got the email inviting me to telephone interview on the 23rd. I am applying to the UK. I am nervous but at the same time excited. If there are any applicants from last year who could give me a rough picture of the process (setting, the tone of the questions, etc), I will be most grateful.BTW are any other UK applicants interviewing the same week?

So this morning I got the email inviting me to telephone interview on the 23rd. I am applying to the UK. I am nervous but at the same time excited. If there are any applicants from last year who could give me a rough picture of the process (setting, the tone of the questions, etc), I will be most grateful.BTW are any other UK applicants interviewing the same week?

Hi! I interviewed last year. My advice is to practice talking to someone who isn't in the room with you. You'll have five or so people who are talking to you and you won't be able to match faces with voices, which can be confusing when responding to people. However, you also do not want to sound too rehearsed. I, unfortunately, was first of the people who were interviewed from GradCafe, so I didn't have the opportunity to practice based on questions others were asked, but it seems they use all the same questions for each interview. Good luck!

Edited by Horb

Well, I have to interview after all. (I'm recommended for research grant to Australia.) So now instead of gleefully lurking and rejoicing in my relative lack of stress for the next few months, I get to join the crew of y'all who are preparing. I had it coming I guess.

Skype with landline as a backup. They said it should take about 20 min. I'll go back and read what everyone said about phone interviews. Any tips for a Skype interview? I'm going to try to arrange to do it in an office at my school, partly because I don't have a landline.

Also... I'm slightly perturbed, since I understand that Australia doesn't usually do interviews... any thoughts? Other than I had it coming?

Thanks!