Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Hey all, I graduated in 2014 and am currently taking a gap year to do some research abroad. I'm planning to apply for a research Fulbright for the 2016-2017 cycle and just had a few questions:

1) I did a study abroad semester and my grades were pretty bad (A-, B-, and C+ in the courses that transferred over back at my home university). My grades overall though are good. I graduated magna cum laude, have good research output and have published a paper where I was first author. How badly are these grades likely to affect my application? The only thing I can really say is that I was a bit distracted during that study abroad semester (it was 4 years ago, I was dumb and young). But when I got back home, I made sure I was on top of my game in those courses by auditing the equivalent course at my university.

2) If I'm applying for the research Fulbright and I'm positive the research group I would be invited to work in uses English as the main language (since the group is very international), how important is demonstrating fluency in the local language? I know that it would obviously help, but does it look very bad to not have some sort of certification if it's not absolutely required for the work I'll be doing? I'll be applying to do research in Germany. I'll be spending 4 months doing research at a German university. I took German in high school and did one semester of it in college, but I'm VERY rusty. I think if I put my head to the books and spent some time dusting off, I could definitely pass A2 certification. B1 with quite a bit of work. Just wondering how necessary this is since I'll have to keep an eye on test dates for the exams.

I think your GPA will be fine. Mine is only a 3.3 (I dealt with some depression issues and goofed off during my semester abroad), but I got recommended (and hopefully accepted!) I do believe it comes down a lot more to your proposal, personal statement, and recommendations. 

I know in the forums from the past few years I've read that the subjects have frequently been "Fulbright application status" Followed by (p), (a), or (ns), but since the IIE sends out all the decision emails (rather than each country's commission sending them out), I would guess that they use a consistent format each year. But... Who knows!

I know in the forums from the past few years I've read that the subjects have frequently been "Fulbright application status" Followed by (p), (a), or (ns), but since the IIE sends out all the decision emails (rather than each country's commission sending them out), I would guess that they use a consistent format each year. But... Who knows!

I second this. I made my friend who got a grant last year forward me his acceptance so I'd know what it looks like... hahaha. The format "Fulbright Application Status (P)" is what you want. 

I second this. I made my friend who got a grant last year forward me his acceptance so I'd know what it looks like... hahaha. The format "Fulbright Application Status (P)" is what you want. 

Thanks!

CS912Yc.jpg

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I'm keeping my fingers EXTRA-CROSSED that it's only because you have a Fulbright waiting for you!

Oddly enough, I logged in to the DAAD portal today out of habit of frantically checking on my applications and my application status has switched back to "application submitted!" I'm wondering if the rejection status that I saw was accidental because I've been seeing notices on the portal homepage that they have been working on training and editing parts of the site lately. I'm going to cross my fingers once again for both DAAD and Fulbright and hope that at least one of them comes through for me. Thank you for being so supportive, RosyPosy68! I love that everyone on this thread is so helpful!

Oddly enough, I logged in to the DAAD portal today out of habit of frantically checking on my applications and my application status has switched back to "application submitted!" I'm wondering if the rejection status that I saw was accidental because I've been seeing notices on the portal homepage that they have been working on training and editing parts of the site lately. I'm going to cross my fingers once again for both DAAD and Fulbright and hope that at least one of them comes through for me. Thank you for being so supportive, RosyPosy68! I love that everyone on this thread is so helpful!

I don't know if you posted on the DAAD GC thread, but a BUNCH of people had that issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I hope you are fortunate and get both!

Well scholar email came out for UK.. Alternate, second year in a row.. geezes.!!!!!!!

Gaaahh so sorry for the extra waiting time and anticipation! Fingers crossed that it turns into a "P" this time! 

But honestly, despite how disappointing and frustrating I imagine that must feel.... You must be pretty awesome to come this far TWICE.  Congrats on that!

Thanks... also the problem is, or the hard thing is, under the scholar program I am fighting for one grant with over 150 submitting.. So, lets hope for the "P" or a refusal on the primary..lol fingers crossed..best of luck to all

Does this mean the other UK awards should be coming in today?

Most likely. According to the spreadsheet, in previous years, all of the decisions have come on the same day, but one never really knows until one gets their own email. 

As much as I am hoping for answers ASAP, I would actually guess that it's unlikely UK Postgraduate awards will come out today.  Bluefit was an applicant for a Scholar Award, and last year the notifications for UK Scholar awards (for professionals with 5+ years experience) went out nearly a month before the UK Postgrad awards.  Plus, they UK commission just finished interviewing for the posgrad awards yesterday, as far as I can tell from this thread.  They may even still be interviewing.  Based on past decisions, like erdingerchamp said, all Postgrad Award decisions will probably come out on the same day, though.  The question is....what day?!

Hi Everyone!

An eager Germany ETA applicant here.

I wanted to pick everyone's brains about three fellowship opportunities. I've applied for the Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX), Germany ETA, and Austria USTA (which is Fulbright- sponsored). I've been awarded the CBYX, and I need to let them know about my decision by March 18th. 

Does anyone have any insight about which of the threye programs would be best, if I am fortunate enough to get them all? I want to attend graduate school for education policy the following year. 

Hi Bailey24!

I have applied for both the Germany ETA and Austria USTA. If I end up getting both, it will completely be dependent on my locations for both.A lot of my friends who got both the ETA and USTA made their decisions based on location -- maybe it's just me, but I am not super concerned about the difference in prestige, especially as the job description is almost the same and if I were to receive both, I can still put on my resume that I was the recipient of a Fulbright grant.

I am honestly partial to Austria -- I have lived in both places and feel like my heart is there. I also like that I would have the opportunity to extend to two years. A lot of my friends have done the USTA and absolutely LOVED it. If I get both, I am also going to compare the cost of living in both places. The Austria grant pays more, and it might just be wayyyy more financially viable for me to take the USTA, as the pay is significantly higher (but the cost of living might be relatively similar, depending on location). 

All in all, I think they are both potentially amazing experiences. I just wish I could fast forward the next 2-3 weeks.... I know that the USTA decisions typically come out the first of April (or around there) and the ETA for Germany comes out just around then.

Im so hoping that today we hear something. This waiting is stressful!

Ugh, me too! The stress is unreal!!!! I'm constantly checking my e-mail for notifications, even at 2am when it's not at all likely that anything would even come through. I wish it was easier to deal with all of this uncertainty!

Edited by psych_33

Ugh, me too! The stress is unreal!!!! I'm constantly checking my e-mail for notifications, even at 2am when it's not at all likely that anything would even come through. I wish it was easier to deal with all of this uncertainty!

All we can do is wait and hope for the best... :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  <_<  B) * refreshes email again*

I also like that I would have the opportunity to extend to two years.

You can extend the Germany ETA as well. My cohort year I believe about 20 folks did so. I don't remember it being guaranteed, however, so that is something to bear in mind.

The ETA and USTA cooperate with one another. Several members of my year received offers for both and opted for Fulbright and vice versa.