Chances of generous funding at Vanderbilt Divinity, Yale Divinity, Candler, and PTS

FandT1

I have applied to all of the school mentioned above. I think I have a decent chance of being accepted. However, I am curious as to what my chances are to get decent funding. Hear are my "stats":

Major: Religion- Biblical Studies Concentration; Cumulative GPA, 3.68; Major GPA 3.83

Graduated with distinction and as a University Scholar

Completed an advanced honors research project entitled "Kierkegaard and Hegel's Soterio-Pneumatologies: A Contrastive Analysis"

I have two years of Greek and one year of Hebrew

I have a total of 60 hours of community service: Helped renovate an old slave cemetery in East Texas, participated in a Clothes Closet (a store similar to Salvation Army and Goodwill), participated in a reading and mentoring program at a local elementary school, participated in a "backpack program" (a program in which I took backpacks full of non-perishable foods to low income children to eat during their weekends out of school). 

Am a member Theta Alpha Kappa (national honors society for theological and religious studies)

Recommendation letters are solid. One is from the president of the university

My SOP's are strong. I believe. 

I know this is not much. But, what do ya'll think my chances are at getting some decent funding? 

I had a similar background in Biblical Studies (3.67), w/ 1.5 Greek/1 Hebrew/.5 German. My GREs were 650/680/6.0 (these matter for funding). I applied to a number of schools, only Candler on your list. I was admitted with, if I remember, several thousand dollars worth of scholarship, which isn't much for master's programs (they're by and large cash cows). I also got into Duke, Marquette, etc... down the line, with varying amounts of funding, but only about a third of the tuition at the most. 

Those schools you listed fund well, however. At the same time, if you are applying to a ministry program (where your community service, etc..., would matter more), funding probably hinges less upon GREs than fit, potential, diversity, and so on. I applied to 15 schools, all of which offered at least the chance of getting full funding, was admitted to 10 or more of those, but only had 1 school offer full funding. But ministry programs are very different than "academic study of religion" programs. Either way, my opinion is that grad school is something for which it is best not to accrue debt. But you'll probably get some good funding offers at those programs, probably quite good from PTS.

DCole,

I would say your chances at PTS full funding are slim to nil. They are actively moving away from merit based funding and more towards need-based, which caps around 80% of tuition. However, the tuition is already quite affordable coupled with cheap student housing. For example, Emory housing averages about $500-650 more a month than PTS seminary housing.

Candler and Vanderbilt both typically have great funding. I would imagine your chances at 100% tuition are greatest with those two. However, Atlanta is very expensive near Emory. All things considered (tuition + housing), VDS would cost about $6,000 less than CDS even with full rides to both schools. So, not all full rides are created equal despite comparable tuition rates.

I can't speak to Yale. My guess would be that of all your schools it would be the hardest to gain admittance. If you do, they certainly do offer more merit based financial aid packages than PTS but tuition is higher than PTS but housing is comparable.

I have a spread sheet I can send you with all the costs and an aid calculator of those schools--I'm applying similarly. Just PM me.

Even though you may not get FULL funding at PTS the 80% is incredible since tuition is only about $10,000 anyways, so you'd only be paying $2000 or so in tuition. Some people do get full + stipend though, especially if they're Presbyterian (but even if they aren't). There are ample work-study opportunities as well.

Rabbit,

That is my point exactly. PTS offsets many full ride offers with cheap base tuition and incredibly affordable housing options. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full ride from them, esp. for non-PCUSA.

I see you are a current student. How long have you been there? I'm very much considering to attend, but I'm waiting on some financial aid offers from other schools before I commit. One thing concerns me: I'm interested mostly in NT and would have loved studying under Stuckenbruck. I have heard while at the last SBL that he was not allowed to teach Ge'ez at the seminary, which helped lead to his seeking employment with Munich. Any truth to that? I ask because I also heard that PTS is moving more towards ministry than research. Have you gotten any negative vibes while there concerning your academic interest or topics of research?

As turk noted, if you're non-PCUSA your best bet is really an 80% award. That said, PTS is really cheap so that leftover 20% won't be so bad.

Yale is fairly generous with FA for MDiv applicants - everyone I knew while there was on a full ride or very close to it. Obviously it'd be nice to snag one of the Marquand, Sloane, or Luke scholarships but that's a long shot even for their best applicants.

Vanderbilt is known to lowball initial FA offers to some degree. That said, if Vandy is really where you want to end up, if you REALLY want to attend but their offer isn't enough to make it feasible, get in contact with the school and state your case. Everyone that did that (that I know of), including myself, had their offers increased.

Thanks. I just received an email from PTS that said they do not offer scholarships to MATS applicants, which is what I am applying for. So, that's that. I'm really hoping I get at least 80% tuition from at least one of the other schools.

Balatro, I've heard that quite a bit about Vandy. I hope their lowball offer is 70%!

Thanks. I just received an email from PTS that said they do not offer scholarships to MATS applicants, which is what I am applying for. So, that's that. I'm really hoping I get at least 80% tuition from at least one of the other schools.

Balatro, I've heard that quite a bit about Vandy. I hope their lowball offer is 70%!

Hi DCole123, are you an international applicant?

Yeah, I don't even think there is an MATS option for domestic students.  PTS offers an MA in Christian Education and the M.Div (as well as a M.Div/Ma option).  They do offer a ThM (which they don't fund), but that is a one year degree which requires an M.Div already.

Edited by runthejewels

Yeah, I don't even think there is an MATS option for domestic students.  PTS offers an MA in Christian Education and the M.Div (as well as a M.Div/Ma option).  They do offer a ThM (which they don't fund), but that is a one year degree which requires an M.Div already.

You're correct, the MATS is for international students only. The MA is in Christian Education and has three tracks (Spiritual Formation, Youth ministry, and Education); it is not a foundation for PhD studies though, you do that in the MDiv program.

Theres also a dual MDiv/MSW program through Rutgers.

Rabbit,

That is my point exactly. PTS offsets many full ride offers with cheap base tuition and incredibly affordable housing options. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full ride from them, esp. for non-PCUSA.

I see you are a current student. How long have you been there? I'm very much considering to attend, but I'm waiting on some financial aid offers from other schools before I commit. One thing concerns me: I'm interested mostly in NT and would have loved studying under Stuckenbruck. I have heard while at the last SBL that he was not allowed to teach Ge'ez at the seminary, which helped lead to his seeking employment with Munich. Any truth to that? I ask because I also heard that PTS is moving more towards ministry than research. Have you gotten any negative vibes while there concerning your academic interest or topics of research?

PMed you

100% tuition is a rare bird for master-level programs.  Like others said, they're cash cows mostly.  Notre Dame's MTS program is about the only one around offering MERIT-based full-rides.  But it's far more difficult to gain acceptance at ND for this reason.  Your schools do offer very few full rides but not so much for reasons related to merit and scores, etc.     

Regarding Vandy: Balatro and I have had this dispute before, I believe. Every year Vandy offers 10-20 full offers, many of which have $10K stipends (mostly to MDivs). I've spoken to the administration directly about their policy because I was curious about this rumor about lowball offers. They said categorically that they do not modify offers, and try to be as generous as possible. Again, I know this becomes a he said/she said, but this is my insider's take.

I will say, OP, that your stats stand a respectable chance at VDS for a full-ride. Though it's important to keep in mind that the SOP is vital, and stats only do so much. For what it's worth, I've known a few people with nearly identical stats as you who've received a full-ride, but they said they put in a substantial effort into their SOPs.

100% tuition is a rare bird for master-level programs.  Like others said, they're cash cows mostly.  Notre Dame's MTS program is about the only one around offering MERIT-based full-rides.  But it's far more difficult to gain acceptance at ND for this reason.  Your schools do offer very few full rides but not so much for reasons related to merit and scores, etc.     

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree here. Vandy, Yale, Harvard, PTS, Candler, UChicago, Syracuse, Drew, Eden, Duke, and many many other programs offer 100% tuition offers on the basis of merit. You are correct that they can be competitive (perhaps less than 30% of accepted students receiving these offers among these schools), but describing them as "rare" might be a bit of an overstatement. I was only fortunate enough to get one good offer as a masters student, but I had several friends who received 3-4 full offers, some of which had stipends as high as $15k.

To be clear, I am not saying that theological education has a surplus of financial resources. Many people do in fact go into substantial debt in pursuit of an MTS, Mdiv, or MA. Rather, many programs realize that this line of work is not the most lucrative, and do their best to incentivize people to come. 

Cosign coffeekid. 

I actually had the same conversation with Vandy's admissions office. (I got my MDiv there, finished last month.) They were really confused about why that rumor would be flying around.

Regardless, to the OP - your stats are perfectly fine for a great offer at Vandy. Again, I agree with coffeekid about the SOP - I've known that folks with impeccable stats don't always get the funding there. As far as I can tell - and I haven't spoken to them about this - they use the scholarships to hone what they consider a rich, full class, considering life experiences quite heavily...because it's MDiv/MTS, not MA/PhD. So my cohort of scholarships had a couple eggheads, a smattering of denominational diversity, and then a bunch of really awesome activist-types with great intellectual chops on top of it. So, you know, be human in your SOP. I suspect Candler is similar? Not sure.

My goodness! I just noticed the typos and misspelled words ("hear" should have been "here") in my initial post.

Cadences, no I am not. Perhaps the misspelled words led you to think that.

Thanks sport01 and coffeekid. I think my SOP for Vandy is pretty strong. Addmissions there told me that the top scholarships normally go to applicants with a GPA of at least 3.5. I meet that but by "top" they may have only been referring to funding 60% or so and up but not necessarily a guaranteed full-tuition scholarship. But, I guess all I can do is wait and pray (though I don't really know what God could do being that the funding is based on merit. His hands might be tied. Who knows!?!?!)

My goodness! I just noticed the typos and misspelled words ("hear" should have been "here") in my initial post.

Cadences, no I am not. Perhaps the misspelled words led you to think that.

Thanks sport01 and coffeekid. I think my SOP for Vandy is pretty strong. Addmissions there told me that the top scholarships normally go to applicants with a GPA of at least 3.5. I meet that but by "top" they may have only been referring to funding 60% or so and up but not necessarily a guaranteed full-tuition scholarship. But, I guess all I can do is wait and pray (though I don't really know what God could do being that the funding is based on merit. His hands might be tied. Who knows!?!?!)

No, actually, they didn't. I asked because, as runthejewels and Rabbit Run have pointed out, the MATS is only for international students, and PTS usually gives very generous funding to those who get in to that program, so I thought it strange that they told you there's no financial aid available for the MATS. But since you're a domestic applicant, their response makes sense.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree here. Vandy, Yale, Harvard, PTS, Candler, UChicago, Syracuse, Drew, Eden, Duke, and many many other programs offer 100% tuition offers on the basis of merit. You are correct that they can be competitive (perhaps less than 30% of accepted students receiving these offers among these schools), but describing them as "rare" might be a bit of an overstatement. I was only fortunate enough to get one good offer as a masters student, but I had several friends who received 3-4 full offers, some of which had stipends as high as $15k.

To be clear, I am not saying that theological education has a surplus of financial resources. Many people do in fact go into substantial debt in pursuit of an MTS, Mdiv, or MA. Rather, many programs realize that this line of work is not the most lucrative, and do their best to incentivize people to come. 

Yes, they do offer 100% tuition based on merit, but their views of "merit" are broader than what is being discussed here.  If "rare" is a bit of an overstatement, the "bit" to which you refer is slimmer than the slimmest hair reposing on the back of a bee hummingbird.   :)

Yes, they do offer 100% tuition based on merit, but their views of "merit" are broader than what is being discussed here.  If "rare" is a bit of an overstatement, the "bit" to which you refer is slimmer than the slimmest hair reposing on the back of a bee hummingbird.   :)

I think we can both agree that disputing the semantics of "rare" isn't especially productive or insightful, and I take responsibility for honing in on this term. My bad.

I'm also interested in your remark on the breadth of merit, suggesting that M-- programs have a broader idea of merit when offering scholarships. Are you simply referring to, as sport01 noted, the fact that they "hone what they consider a rich, full class, considering life experiences quite heavily"? That is, merit isn't limited to GPA/GRE/Pubs? The follow up question would be, is this a bad thing? Again, to bring things back to the OP, you note your community service as relevant to the application process, which I believe is fitting.

I think we can both agree that disputing the semantics of "rare" isn't especially productive or insightful, and I take responsibility for honing in on this term. My bad.

I'm also interested in your remark on the breadth of merit, suggesting that M-- programs have a broader idea of merit when offering scholarships. Are you simply referring to, as sport01 noted, the fact that they "hone what they consider a rich, full class, considering life experiences quite heavily"? That is, merit isn't limited to GPA/GRE/Pubs? The follow up question would be, is this a bad thing? Again, to bring things back to the OP, you note your community service as relevant to the application process, which I believe is fitting.

Yes, I was referring to the point about combing applications to fulfill a perception of a "rich, full class."  It's a bad thing to the extent that a small group of people ultimately are "in charge," and call the shots.  This ubiquitous, oligarchic practice used to work fairly well in terms of identifying the truly gifted (intellectual) candidates.  As of late, the oligarchs shifted their criteria for admission, however.  Consequently, historically "rigorous" religion and theology departments suffer from a surfeit of "professors" whose primary "skill" centers on telling their autobiography.  Worse still, these "professors" conflate their story-telling selves with rigorous intellectualism.  C'est la vie.