What music do you listen to while reading philosophy?

gradcoffee

Most often I like to put on my Clint Mansell Pandora station, but I also sometimes like listening to classical (my favorite is Tchaikovsky's 4th), and occasionally metal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also like to listen to pure shit, 80s pop trash.  Synth-pop garbage.  I really don't know why.  I think it's some kind of personal defect.  I think it's loud, predictable.  It's a sensory experience.

I love it. Seriously! Nearly all "learned" philosophy students, as this crowd proves, seems to be drawn towards sophisticated music. I can't listen to music while reading philosophy because it distracts me from the text - but in general, I'm a fan of rap. Yes - totally heretical. 

I lose focus if someone around me sneezes. So music is out of the question.

Rap is the worst for me. I was raised with it, and start feeling the need to rep my area and other silly things. I should know better than that at this point. 

Edited by esunsalmista

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "Folk (Instrumental)" station on Pandora has been the soundtrack to many of my papers. 

I have nothing to contribute here, but you have the greatest philosophical username I have ever seen. Well-done. 

if any of you are fans of  medieval philosophy  i recommend listening to this while reading on Aquinas or the ontological argument. its the progressive power metal theocracy.

an innate desire to love corny stuff is one of the intrinsic properties of my platonic essence it seems. must be my hispanic dna or something. interestingly japan and latin america are big on power metal for some reason so its not just self-deprecation

Edited by HegelHatingHegelian

When reading philosophy I generally have earplugs in, and sometimes mufflers over that; being an unapologetic people watcher, I find that I get distracted by almost anyone. Look at those walking flesh-sacks! What are they thinking?!

I have to wear earplugs or I'll eavesdrop--I literally can't shut out the sound of human voices, but can ignore the Top 40 muzack stuff all day--and then try to sort out what it feels like to be that/those person(s). Groups of sorority sisters are the worst. They'll go on and on about absolutely nothing until they drop some crazy story about drugs, rape, violence, and so forth--all while drinking down their frothy, frozen, milky drinks like it's a normal thing. Super distracting.

When reading philosophy I generally have earplugs in, and sometimes mufflers over that; being an unapologetic people watcher, I find that I get distracted by almost anyone. Look at those walking flesh-sacks! What are they thinking?!

I have to wear earplugs or I'll eavesdrop--I literally can't shut out the sound of human voices, but can ignore the Top 40 muzack stuff all day--and then try to sort out what it feels like to be that/those person(s). Groups of sorority sisters are the worst. They'll go on and on about absolutely nothing until they drop some crazy story about drugs, rape, violence, and so forth--all while drinking down their frothy, frozen, milky drinks like it's a normal thing. Super distracting.

"Walking flesh-sacks." I love it. I once talked about "animated meat edifices" in a paper. I find such things amusing. 

Hah! What was the paper on?

Quine's naturalized epistemology and its influence on contemporary approaches in phil of mind.

Edited by dgswaim

• 2 months later...

I don't listen to music while studying because it detracts me. However I do listen to nature sounds. They always calm my nerves and somehow help me concentrate better.

O love listening to music when I read comic books :) Ambient and especially dark ambient are my favourite genres for comic books.

I don't know if this counts, but I like being in a loud cafe while reading philosophy. Maybe it's that I love the feeling of being totally focused in a distracted environment.

That's exactly what I do. I have a better chance of reading for long periods of time with lots of noise/chatter that isn't directed toward me. 

That's exactly what I do. I have a better chance of reading for long periods of time with lots of noise/chatter that isn't directed toward me. 

I was talking to someone about this the other day. I don't really get distracted by noise, but my focus is lost once the noise becomes relevant.