Importance of attending social function?

CJ90

At the conclusion of a clinical interview day I've been invited to, my POI is hoping to take me and the other candidates, as well as his graduate students, out for drinks. I'll be traveling a couple of hours to the interview, and I'm scheduled to work when I get home that evening. I could possibly find a way out of work if need be. What are your thoughts on the ramifications of missing this end-of-day event? Would it have any bearing on an admission decision?

Everyone's situation is different, so if taking time off work is a really bad idea for you, don't do it. 

That said, many interviews include social activities because it gives professors and grad students a chance to get to know applicants' personalities and vice versa. It's all about gauging fit - you'll be spending a lot of time together and want to work well together! If possible, don't miss out on the opportunity to get to know each other. I think of it as another component of the interview.

Very important to the admissions process! My SO is a current grad student and warned me to attend all the social functions I am invited to! You want to make a good impression, and the grad students have a say. Especially since you say this is with your POI I would make every effort to go since it seems you may be able to get out of work.

I agree with everyone else that the social functions are very important to the interview and also the get-to-know-you process. I would consider them as part of the interview day. But they are more casual so if you cannot reschedule your work, then obviously you should not blow off commitments or otherwise terribly inconvenience yourself. In your shoes, I would try my best to reschedule my work obligations and in the future, plan to devote the entire day during visiting days to do things like this. For others who are about to go on visits/interviews, keep in mind that most official schedules will not list evening activities but in many cases, there will be a formal or informal gathering after dinner. So plan to be busy the entire day and don't make any other commitments at all during visit days!

For my programs, I would rely on what the POI says. I've recently been invited to a department-wide interview day, but was also given the option of meeting faculty and grad students a couple of weeks ahead instead. When asked, my POI said they don't care about the interview day, and just wants me to come and talk to other people.

Thanks everyone. It would be difficult for me to get out of work, but not impossible. I should mention this is my second year in a row interviewing with this POI, so he's not unfamiliar with me. There seems to be a few unwritten rules when it comes to the application/interview process, so I don't want to commit a faux pas if it turns out I can't make the social event.

I would try hard to make it. As far as I can tell all applicants are roughly equal in academic standing, if they made it this far. Now they are narrowing it down to the person that they want around them for the next 6 years. Not to mention the recency effect. It may not matter, but I could see it making the difference.

Do it.

Generally, interviews are about 15-30 minutes long. I wouldn't trust my impression of the POI or their impression of me after only that long. These social events- whether or not your POI is there, but especially if they are- are usually one of the most informative parts of the day! Everybody is more relaxed, you get to see each others personality, and sometimes the equivalent of a second interview takes places (happened to me at one school, basically I got pulled aside at the social and quizzed for about 30 minutes). If the POI's grad students are going, you get to spend more time with them and see how you get along.

Basically, keep in mind that if you are accepted and decide to go, you will spend spending 4-6 years with these people. It's worth taking the night off of work to see how well you fit with each other.

Do it.

Generally, interviews are about 15-30 minutes long. I wouldn't trust my impression of the POI or their impression of me after only that long. These social events- whether or not your POI is there, but especially if they are- are usually one of the most informative parts of the day! Everybody is more relaxed, you get to see each others personality, and sometimes the equivalent of a second interview takes places (happened to me at one school, basically I got pulled aside at the social and quizzed for about 30 minutes). If the POI's grad students are going, you get to spend more time with them and see how you get along.

Basically, keep in mind that if you are accepted and decide to go, you will spend spending 4-6 years with these people. It's worth taking the night off of work to see how well you fit with each other.

All good points, and I'd prefer to go. The problem is that getting out of work will be super difficult. If popular opinion is that this social is crucial to my chances, I'll do it. This school is my top choice, and I'm sure I want to go there, so it's less about determining a fit for myself and more about making sure I don't harm my chances by missing it.

All good points, and I'd prefer to go. The problem is that getting out of work will be super difficult. If popular opinion is that this social is crucial to my chances, I'll do it. This school is my top choice, and I'm sure I want to go there, so it's less about determining a fit for myself and more about making sure I don't harm my chances by missing it.

If grad students will be at the social (sounds like it?) then I really think it's important for your future 4-6 years that you go. Whenever our prospective students skip these kind of events, we are pretty disappointed. It might not leave a good first impression. 

I also want to add another point--during these interview events, you will rarely get to interact with the other visiting students. I know you already decided to go to this school but for some people, like me, my future classmates are just as important in the decision as what the current students are like. After all, I will be working with, studying with, socializing with these people more than anyone else. So I think this social event is a chance for you to meet the other visitors and compare notes about other schools you might have visited etc.

In terms of having bearing on admission, like I said, it will be part of the first impression. I don't think anyone will reject you because you had to go to work, but if your interviews didn't go super well, they might hear or see something they like more when they talk to you in a more social setting.

I don't know what your work is, but if there is a way to get out of it, you should. If it's academic related work, then I think your boss should understand because you're taking time off for academic related things. 

If grad students will be at the social (sounds like it?) then I really think it's important for your future 4-6 years that you go. Whenever our prospective students skip these kind of events, we are pretty disappointed. It might not leave a good first impression. 

I also want to add another point--during these interview events, you will rarely get to interact with the other visiting students. I know you already decided to go to this school but for some people, like me, my future classmates are just as important in the decision as what the current students are like. After all, I will be working with, studying with, socializing with these people more than anyone else. So I think this social event is a chance for you to meet the other visitors and compare notes about other schools you might have visited etc.

In terms of having bearing on admission, like I said, it will be part of the first impression. I don't think anyone will reject you because you had to go to work, but if your interviews didn't go super well, they might hear or see something they like more when they talk to you in a more social setting.

I don't know what your work is, but if there is a way to get out of it, you should. If it's academic related work, then I think your boss should understand because you're taking time off for academic related things. 

Thanks for your input :)

This thread is making me very nervous. I was told that all scheduled interview activities would conclude by 5pm, so I booked a bus ticket back home for 7pm because I need to work the next day, and I already won't be getting home until 5am the next day.

What are the chances that I'll get there this weekend, and an opportunity like this will present itself? This is my only interview and my very top choice, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to buffer my chances of an acceptance.

If it comes down to it, I would be willing to skip my bus and find another way back, but it's an unfamiliar city and I'd rather not risk it... Plus a flight would cost major $$$.

I think everyone will understand if you need to leave at 7pm for a 10 hour bus ride home (and they will be sympathetic!). Like I said above, I don't think this will have much (if any) real bearing on a decision, and you're not going to lose a spot because you had to go home. In my opinion, I think the "moral of the story" is to be as flexible as possible when you schedule these things and personally, I would always try to leave the day after the last scheduled day of events, instead of at the end of the day. It's more relaxing and you'll have time to see stuff on your own before you go on the last day. However, this is not always possible for reasons such as work etc.

From what I've heard, the social functions in the evening, whether it's dinner or drinks with a professor, or hitting the bars with some current grad students is literally another interview. As in, that is when they see if you're socially well-adjusted, friendly, someone they'd like to spend years working with, and not obviously insane. Attendance is basically mandatory.

From what I've heard, the social functions in the evening, whether it's dinner or drinks with a professor, or hitting the bars with some current grad students is literally another interview. As in, that is when they see if you're socially well-adjusted, friendly, someone they'd like to spend years working with, and not obviously insane. Attendance is basically mandatory.

I'm not sure about the last part.. it definitely depends on the program and how much you have spoken to the POI before hand, but I've had back to back interviews that led to me missing both of the social functions, and I got accepted at both programs. I think if you represent yourself well in the interview setting, and you took time to explain the reason for your absence, it won't reflect negatively on you as an applicant. However, if it's something you're going to be worried about after the visit, it might be worth looking in to other options- but @vicstory I was in a similar situation with a bus trip and people were entirely understanding! This whole process is expensive and leaves you without much time to plan to reduce costs

Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately the weather now might impede on the interview weekend, but hoping it all goes well... 

I am staying with a graduate student under my POIs the night before the interview, and will be attending the social event the grad student are hosting. 

I would hope that they would understand that compounding with a 10 hour bus ride and a very important project meeting the next day that I will need to leave. 

I have an interview that concludes with a a social function on the last night (starting at 7 pm), in addition to several dinners and other social gatherings throughout the weekend. I was planning to leave after the party and drive an hour to stay with a friend that night. I ran it by my corresponding grad student to get an idea of how late it would go and she said it may go until 11 pm, and that I should stay all or most of the time. Now I'm stressing about this because I was thinking I would leave around 9 or 10. I find it hard to believe that a party would last 4 hours, and that it would be frowned upon to leave an hour or two early?? Obviously I will stay if it's going to reflect poorly upon me to leave, but I think that's pretty strange. 

I think that it would be perfectly reasonable for you to leave early, especially if there were many other social events. I believe the advice on this thread is essentially saying that it's important for the other grad students and professors to get to know you. If you've already spent a bunch of social time with them, then those last couple hours shouldn't really matter. :-)

I agree, I just thought it was odd that she said that to me. Seems like for her to say that it must be a big deal...

It should be okay if you absolutely have to leave (e..g traveling home etc.) I think the grad student said this because the event was probably planned by graduate students and they probably put a lot of effort into creating a party for prospectives to enjoy. If you were hosting a party for guests, wouldn't you want them to stay the whole time too?