Acceptances/rejections/funding in MTS/M.A./M.Div for 2014??!!

FandT1

Although I am confident that no one will recognize me at Emory or Vanderbilt from the things I've posted on here, I recognize that what I did was wrong and want to apologize to the readers of this forum.

I apologize to everyone who experienced my tirade yesterday against the YDS admissions staff. In particular, I'm terribly sorry for the sexual favors I implied were exchanged between applicants and adcomm staff. While clearly hyperbolic, these statements tended to imply that others had not earned their place in New Haven.

Although it was an utter shock to be rejected after being offered near full-funding to two of YDS' peer institutions and being recommended by a board member, I'm sure, as someone pointed out above, that it had something to do with fit rather than qualification. 

Btw, there was a previous poster who said something about how 'earning' a place wasn't a relevant category...haha ok Mahatma R. E. Hobart, humility is one thing, but people do, in fact, earn things like admission to YDS. Otherwise these boards wouldn't exist. 

I want to say categorically that I am not 'entitled' to attend Yale - if anyone were there would be no such thing as an admissions process - but still want to communicate how devastated I am at rejection. 

Edited by wonedy

You're right that people do 'earn' their spot in graduate school. The other poster was right, especially if we're speaking in Christian or similar religious terms, that 'earned' is a bad category to think in at all (Romans 4.4?). I understand the sting of rejection; my application is nowhere near as prestigious as yours, but I was rejected to my first choice in spite of the fact that my application was essentially solicited by a professor with similar interests (and I received offers with full tuition and a stipend elsewhere). I'm not priest, and I can't pronounce forgiveness over you. But I understand, and I'm sure everyone else understands as well.

The good news is that Chandler and Vandy are fantastic schools, and it looks like you got great offers. So even though the rejection to your school of choice has to hurt, you still have a great way forward.

xypathos, that's exciting that you've had so much interest in your work. Sounds like a great fit.

I also have a hard time separating name from program at times. Getting into "Harvard" is the only thing I feel unqualified giddiness about. Thinking about the actual program makes me anxious about fitting in to the cohort, making the most of the next two years, living as a student again, managing my time, paying for school, and on and on. Part of me just wants to shout, "I got into Harvard! Goal achieved!" and run away. I have to remind myself that I did, in fact, apply for the program and I do want to go.

Perytion, you'll find at least one other West Coast transplant at HDS :)

Perytion and Averroes, are either of you going to the open house?

Although I am confident that no one will recognize me at Emory or Vanderbilt from the things I've posted on here, I recognize that what I did was wrong and want to apologize to the readers of this forum.

I apologize to everyone who experienced my tirade yesterday against the YDS admissions staff. In particular, I'm terribly sorry for the sexual favors I implied were exchanged between applicants and adcomm staff. While clearly hyperbolic, these statements tended to imply that others had not earned their place in New Haven.

Although it was an utter shock to be rejected after being offered near full-funding to two of YDS' peer institutions and being recommended by a board member, I'm sure, as someone pointed out above, that it had something to do with fit rather than qualification. 

Btw, there was a previous poster who said something about how 'earning' a place wasn't a relevant category...haha ok Mahatma R. E. Hobart, humility is one thing, but people do, in fact, earn things like admission to YDS. Otherwise these boards wouldn't exist. 

I want to say categorically that I am not 'entitled' to attend Yale - if anyone were there would be no such thing as an admissions process - but still want to communicate how devastated I am at rejection. 

No worries. We all the lose the plot every once in a while. A life ought not be judged based on one semi-anonymous rant. 

Perytion, you'll find at least one other West Coast transplant at HDS :)

Sadly I won't be able to attend the open house.  Buying a plane ticket and hotel just isn't in the cards.

I'm glad to know that I won't be the only one from out West.  See ya there.  ;)

Unlikely. I went to theological education day already and like perytion can't justify hotel/travel cost especially since I know I'm accepting the offer. On the other hand, I do need to find an apartment so that MAY cause me to go. Just gotta see what my work schedule will allow.

I'm planning to go to HDS for the admitted students event on April 8th. If anyone is looking for a cheap place to stay, check out hostels in Boston - I'm staying at Hosteling International and it's $50 a night for a bed in a dorm with 7 other people. You can also try couchsurfing.com to try to find a free couch to crash on, if you're adventurous.

Is anyone familiar with how much negotiating HDS will do on funding?

I was informed in an e-mail that grants were non-negotiable, but you'd think they could help a bit when you have full funding+stipend from one of their peer institutions while they (harvard) have offered me considerably less. Very happy for all the opportunities I have at the moment, but any insight?

I was informed in an e-mail that grants were non-negotiable, but you'd think they could help a bit when you have full funding+stipend from one of their peer institutions while they (harvard) have offered me considerably less. Very happy for all the opportunities I have at the moment, but any insight?

I have heard that it's written in stone and no point in even asking. This is from other students as well as from the horse's mouth at Theological Education Day at HDS.

Unrelated question: on a scale of one to ten, how obnoxious is it to wear harvard apparel? I ask because I want to lol.

I have heard that it's written in stone and no point in even asking. This is from other students as well as from the horse's mouth at Theological Education Day at HDS.

Unrelated question: on a scale of one to ten, how obnoxious is it to wear harvard apparel? I ask because I want to lol.

I will shamelessly wear Harvard gear. So don't worry about it.

Negotiating funding is basically a moot question anywhere, especially when it comes to masters programs (which most universities look at as free money). Despite some recent large gifts, HDS's funding is tight because they're also trying to recuperate the endowment. The "every tub on its own bottom" (each constitutent school is financially independent) rules the day at Harvard, so HDS can only offer in aid what it has to offer and has no recourse to a central university budget (there isn't one). Edited by theophany

Congratulations to everyone! It seems that people on this board are having a lot of success in general--maybe it's because we're all a tad obsessive about this whole thing? :)

I notice that quite a few of us have choices to make, which is a blessed position to be in. Curious: are people following the best financial offer they're getting, or choosing your dream school/the place you eventually want to do your PhD at (if you indeed want one)?

I'm torn, but leaning toward money, since it's actually the "bigger name" school, and comforting myself that I'll eventually go to my dream school.

I'm in the same position as you, Paraclete.  Funding was the deciding factor for me, even though it meant that I gave up an opportunity to work with a professor whose work I greatly admire.  But, I too am consoling myself with the thought that I'll be sending an application to my dream school when I'm ready to do my PhD.

Paraclete,

Good question. I go back and forth about what means the most to me in picking a school. Money obviously has a way of limiting options. Four of my five schools either offered a full-ride or near to one. I am looking to do PhD work, but I'm not necessarily picking a school on the hope of gaining admittance to its PhD program--though that would be great. Three things are weighing on my decision between PTS, YDS, and VDS: 1.) complete resources of the library (including rare books and manuscripts), 2.) past and present course offerings by professors Under whom I want to study, and 3.) the greater community surrounding the various schools.

I've yet to finalize a decision. I'm hoping a visit to New Haven will help sway my feelings.

I certainly agree, its difficult to weight the cost of being where you feel is "best" vs. the financial aspect of it. I'm torn between Candler and Vandy — Emory made a good offer, but Vandy's was better. So now I have to decided if its worth taking on extra debt to be at Emory where I feel like the faculty is a better fit, or if its better to accept VDS's offer and save a little debt for the future...Its a tough call.

I certainly agree, its difficult to weight the cost of being where you feel is "best" vs. the financial aspect of it. I'm torn between Candler and Vandy — Emory made a good offer, but Vandy's was better. So now I have to decided if its worth taking on extra debt to be at Emory where I feel like the faculty is a better fit, or if its better to accept VDS's offer and save a little debt for the future...Its a tough call.

I would advise choosing to work with faculty members that fit better with your interests, particularly if you are thinking about a PhD after. If you get on well with the faculty and can stay on at Emory, remember that PhD funding is very good. Granted, my advice is a bit biased as I will be at Emory in the fall to start a PhD.

Paraclete,

Good question. I go back and forth about what means the most to me in picking a school. Money obviously has a way of limiting options. Four of my five schools either offered a full-ride or near to one. I am looking to do PhD work, but I'm not necessarily picking a school on the hope of gaining admittance to its PhD program--though that would be great. Three things are weighing on my decision between PTS, YDS, and VDS: 1.) complete resources of the library (including rare books and manuscripts), 2.) past and present course offerings by professors Under whom I want to study, and 3.) the greater community surrounding the various schools.

I've yet to finalize a decision. I'm hoping a visit to New Haven will help sway my feelings.

I would advise choosing to work with faculty members that fit better with your interests, particularly if you are thinking about a PhD after. If you get on well with the faculty and can stay on at Emory, remember that PhD funding is very good. Granted, my advice is a bit biased as I will be at Emory in the fall to start a PhD.

To offer a contrasting perspective, schools don't necessarily prefer their masters students for their doctoral programs. In fact, in some cases departments are known for not taking their own students. In my case, my interests shifted as a result of being in my masters program (that is the point of education after all), the faculty that I studied with left (there is a lot of movement in religious studies), and I didn't even end up applying to Yale. 

Fit is important. That can't be overstated. And not only in terms of the faculty, but also the student body. Those are your colleagues and principal dialogue partners. You'll just be happier. And if you're applying to PhD programs, faculty that fit your project better are going to be able to give better letters of recommendation, will be able to mentor you in different ways. Plus your coursework is going to be tighter, your thinking and SOP will benefit as a result... 

Never underestimate the importance of having a good library, especially for graduate work as you get more and more specialized and need that one book for something. That's one thing I did not think about at all, but YDS has on everywhere else I applied as a masters student. Not only is Yale's library big, but with Borrow Direct (an interlibrary loan system) I have access to the full libraries of all of the Ivy League schools, MIT, and UChicago. 

Short story, the only way you can figure out fit is to visit places. If you at all have the means and time to visit programs, go. Admissions brochures can only tell you so much. Sitting in a classroom, in a chapel service, in a dining hall and seeing what it feels like—that's going to tell you more than any reasoning about this will.

I accepted HDS' offer of admission today and will be attending their MTS program this fall with a focus in Jewish Studies. I was also offered a spot in the Second Temple MAR at YDS - "nihil nisi bonum." Funding was the deciding factor.

I got accepted to the MA program with a concentration in Philosophy of Religion and Theolgy at Claremont Graduate University. I have been rejected from Yale, University of Chicago, and Duke so far, still waiting on Vanderbilt and Princeton along with Drew. Both Vanderbilt and Princeton informed me that I had applied to the wrong programs, so now I'm applying to the MTS program for Vanderbilt and M.Div/MA program for Princeton. At this point I'm happy I've been accepted somewhere, especially since religion wasn't my major in undergrad(it was my minor, though). Still waiting on the last three though.

Edited by Runsta