Acceptances/rejections/funding in MTS/M.A./M.Div for 2014??!!

FandT1

I kind of wish that HDS weren't so specific about when they announce decisions.  It makes the wait that much more agonizing!

I kind of feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.  Except, in this case, the lump of coal is a very real possibility.

I kind of wish that HDS weren't so specific about when they announce decisions.  It makes the wait that much more agonizing!

I kind of feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.  Except, in this case, the lump of coal is a very real possibility.

Exactly. I sure hope they don't drag it out like YDS! Why a Saturday?

Sitting here where it all began . In a shisha joint overlooking the persian gulf smoking shisha drinking turkish coffee when my inbox pinged. 2 emails from harvard....sigh copy of the harvard gavette and reminder about alumni meeting. OY. Come on hds.....

YDS is seriously killing me. I have spent way too much time thinking about what exactly they mean by 12:00. Will that be the time they start to send out decisions then or will all decisions be sent out by then? I mean financial aid comes out that day as well so it won't just be an admission status change on the website, maybe noon is when the admission status changes and they send the decision out earlier, like around 8 or 9? Oh my god, YDS! Look at the run on sentences you are driving me to!

So here's something interesting, tell me what you all think:

I've been checking my HDS application the past few days and today, decided to thumb through the application proof. While browsing I noticed my current BA GPA had been changed from 3.78 to 3.22. Now, I know for sure I did not enter that GPA for my HDS application - that's suicide. However, I am currently finishing a second undergrad degree which has an institutional GPA of 3.78, whereas my cumulative GPA is a 3.22.

My first bachelors was completed in 2009. I didn't feel prepared for graduate work, and my GPA was really low. So, to rectify the situation I decided to go for another. Regardless, I just noticed the change this morning and, of course, HDS admissions office could do nothing "at this moment in the admissions process." She did say I could email them, noting the discrepancy and providing them with a record of the issue.

So, now what little hope I had for HDS has been shot down. Or so it seems. Did I make the mistake by inputting my institutional GPA?

So annoyed!

Well, great news cometh early: I got into HDS MTS.  No word in my letter on funding.  To all the other lucky ones out there: was there any mention on funding in your letters from HDS on your app page?

Great news either way!  Now decisions...

EDIT: didn't read the whole email in my gmail: Aid decisions coming in two hours - more waiting.

Edited by Instanoodle

Well, I just checked the website for my status - denied. Haven't gotten an email yet, though. So check your applications even if you haven't heard!

Congratulations to those who got in, and good luck to everyone else! :)

EDIT: didn't read the whole email in my gmail: Aid decisions coming in two hours - more waiting.

Haha I also blew through that email and went to see the decision letter instead!

Do we think merit scholars were already notified or do you think it would be in the funding email ? (Hey, can't help but hope. )

I'm in at HDS, too!  It was the last school I was waiting on, and considering the lovely financial aid package they're offering, it looks like I'll be choosing HDS over Chicago Divinity or Columbia (my other acceptances).

Congrats to all who have been admitted.  I look forward to meeting some new colleagues in the Fall!

Who would I contact to find out about PhD placement? I'm trying to decide between two masters programs...

Would I contact a prof in the specific subfield (buddhist studies in my case)? Or would I contact someone in the admissions office?

To find out about PhD placement, you'd want to contact the department's administrator (or whatever title that program assigns). Generally, unless you're contacting a professor about their specific research or if they have interest in your work - contact the administrator first.

You didn't say which M* programs you're trying to decide between but these people will be good leads:

Harvard - Cheryl Henderson (cherylhenderson@fas.harvard.edu)

Oxford - Katherine Croft (graduate.admissions@orinst.ox.ac.uk) - Oxford has a slew of administrators attached to the Oriental Studies program but Ms. Croft deals solely with Graduate Admissions and would know who to refer you to if she can't answer your questions.

Columbia - Tamara Kachanov (tk7@columbia.edu)

Chicago - Melody Harter (mharter@uchicago.edu) - Chicago has a different administrator for the MA, MDiv, and Undergraduate programs but doesn't have one listed for the PhD program. That said, Ms. Harter is the Executive Assistant to the Dean of the Divinity School and should certainly be capable of helping you out.

Who would I contact to find out about PhD placement? I'm trying to decide between two masters programs...

Would I contact a prof in the specific subfield (buddhist studies in my case)? Or would I contact someone in the admissions office?

Can you explain what you mean by this?