Stanford 2014

lisadaran

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to housing, all the alums I've talked to said they spent their entire time in graduate housing, and recommended that I do so for at least the first year as Palo Alto is ridiculously expensive. Kind of the opposite of what you usually see here in the Midwest.

I recently found out that if your university ID isn't on the letter of admission (mine wasn't) you might need to email your department's coordinator. You'll need it for when you respond to the offer of admission regardless of whether you accept or decline. The account set up took a little more than a day for me. 

Admitted for a PhD in Biology with an emphasis in Molecular Biology. Will most likely be attending this fall unless my last interviews convince me otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was admitted for MS Aero/Astro back in early January but no word on funding. Has anyone heard anything about fellowships? I'm still holding out hope because on some pages they say March 15th and on others March 20th but getting worried nonetheless.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation in that I'm graduating from the Canadian equivalent of West Point but that means that the military won't let me do a masters degree unless I prove my worth to them by securing funding of some sort so this is really important to whether or not I can accept their offer of admission.

Also, I have to say that I'm a little concerned by the fact that A/A offers a masters by coursework. Is this common in the US? How does industry and academia consider it? Because of my commitment to the military I won't be able to do a PhD immediately after my masters and so I don't want to close any doors on my future self if or when I apply around to do my doctorate.

Congrats everyone! Please let me know if you know something I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming for a Ph.D in Developmental Biology! I will probably live on campus the first year just so I don't have to do a housing hunt from afar. I'll probably try to get together with people and rent off campus after the first year (I need to have a pet!)

Hi, I am admitted for PhD in Electrical Engineering. Anybody here in this program?

Hi! I was also offered an admission in Electrical. Were u oferred a fellowship?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be heading to Stanford for a PhD in Archaeology in the fall! I'll be living in Escondido Village. Anyone else there?

Hope I get to meet some of you bio folks - my project will be focused on using DNA in archaeology, and I know some of the faculty I'll be working with cross over between anth and bio

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to Stanford this fall as part of the Immunology program.

Just got my housing assignment-- 2 bed / 2 bath in Sharon Green.  The pictures looked nice, but the reviews are absolutely terrible, so now I'm kind of scared.  Anyone else in the same position?  Or does anybody know more about Sharon Green?  The reviews sound like a lot of professionals that have high standards, but still, they're horrible reviews.

Also, is the insurance plan included in our package, or do we have to pay for it out of our stipend?

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!