Acceptance Chances After Wait Listed?

jean21

Hi,

I was just notified today that I am on the wait list for UPenn’s Biology PhD Program.  Does anyone have any stats on what the chances are of an acceptance from the wait list?  This is my top choice and I am very anxious to hear.  Also, is it typical for them to notify you of the decision before you need to let other programs know?

Thanks!

This will vary widely by program! This is really a question you should ask them. I am also on a waitlist, and I was told that I should know by sometime in March. Again, however, not sure we can really compare between programs.

Yeah...I'm on three waitlists and one of the programs told me that there is a "small likelihood" that they can extend me an offer, but that I would have to wait until April for such a decision. Waitlists are no fun...but better than a rejection I suppose!

Yea, I suppose there's no way of really knowing...  I thought my interviews went really well so I was surprised to hear I was on the wait list.  Do you think it's unprofessional to ask what my chances are?  All the email said is that it will be awhile before the admissions committee makes it to the wait list people.

I'm wondering... When I saw people who are applying to the same program with me posting acceptance notice on result search board. Then I emailed and asked the admission office about my status, they said no decision has been made regarding my application and that their decision should be out on or before mid March. Does it actually mean they have not decided to accept/decline/waitlist me? Or does it simply mean I'm waitlisted? Any comment?

So I decided to email the Graduate Studies Coordinator to find out my chances of an acceptance off of the wait list.  Apparently they did things differently this year so she’s not sure.  They accepted more than double the spots they have available (I believe 30 for 10 spots) and have a wait list.  In the past, they accepted 20 and did not always fill all their spots.  So I guess that doesn’t leave me with very good odds.  I’m just hoping a lot of people decline this year and I am high on the wait list.  I have no other acceptances yet and just found out that my fiancé doesn’t have a chance of getting a residency in NC (my second choice, of course).  I feel so hopeless.  It’s like all my dreams are slipping right through my hands and I have no way of catching them.  Worst part is I won’t know until mid-April. 

Sorry for the rant, it’s just hard to find people that truly understand your situation.

As for ­­­cmliu, I am in a similar situation with one of the programs I interviewed at.  My guess is that they rank the applicants somehow and then send out acceptances in waves and work their way down according to available spots.  But who knows, I could be totally off.

So I decided to email the Graduate Studies Coordinator to find out my chances of an acceptance off of the wait list.  Apparently they did things differently this year so she’s not sure.  They accepted more than double the spots they have available (I believe 30 for 10 spots) and have a wait list.  In the past, they accepted 20 and did not always fill all their spots.  So I guess that doesn’t leave me with very good odds.  I’m just hoping a lot of people decline this year and I am high on the wait list.  I have no other acceptances yet and just found out that my fiancé doesn’t have a chance of getting a residency in NC (my second choice, of course).  I feel so hopeless.  It’s like all my dreams are slipping right through my hands and I have no way of catching them.  Worst part is I won’t know until mid-April. 

Sorry for the rant, it’s just hard to find people that truly understand your situation.

As for ­­­cmliu, I am in a similar situation with one of the programs I interviewed at.  My guess is that they rank the applicants somehow and then send out acceptances in waves and work their way down according to available spots.  But who knows, I could be totally off.

Good luck, seriously. I really hope it works out. I'm rooting for you!!