What to do when the stress hits?

Occam's Razorburn

So, I've seen a couple offhand mentions of this in other threads, but I thought it might be good to start a separate topic on it. 

For all those of us in the (often agonizing) waiting process, what are you doing to manage the stress/anxiety? Any suggestions for the rest of us? Or, if you're just one of those people who doesn't feel the pressure so badly, how do you do that?

I personally have been reading a great deal. Some philosophy, mostly not. Tangentially: I'd be interested in book recommendations, if anyone has any. 

I've tried to stay as busy as possible: reading philosophy, checking TGC, writing philosophy, checking TGC, exercising, checking TGC, eating/watching TV, checking TGC, more philosophy, checking TGC, and so on...

So far, I've managed to actually slow down the passage of time quite considerably. Not sure if March will ever actually arrive at this point, even if there's a satisfactory solution to all of Zeno's Paradoxes. 

If you're looking for a good read, I highly recommend Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. It's about the history of scientology and is a well-written, informative, and extremely interesting book on so many different levels. Given your interests (I noticed that you're interested in epistemology and philosophy of action), I think the book will give you a lot of things to think about.

So, I've seen a couple offhand mentions of this in other threads, but I thought it might be good to start a separate topic on it. 

For all those of us in the (often agonizing) waiting process, what are you doing to manage the stress/anxiety? Any suggestions for the rest of us? Or, if you're just one of those people who doesn't feel the pressure so badly, how do you do that?

I personally have been reading a great deal. Some philosophy, mostly not. Tangentially: I'd be interested in book recommendations, if anyone has any. 

With so many acceptances why aren't you just partying all the time? :lol:

With so many acceptances why aren't you just partying all the time? :lol:

Well, I'm happy about it, don't get me wrong, but there's still a couple things I'm really anxious to hear about. Plus, I think the thread topic could benefit a lot of us, not just me.  ^_^

And thank you, mrs_doubtfire, for the recommendation! 

Well, I'm happy about it, don't get me wrong, but there's still a couple things I'm really anxious to hear about. Plus, I think the thread topic could benefit a lot of us, not just me.  ^_^

And thank you, mrs_doubtfire, for the recommendation! 

I actually started something similar to this but it got buried. I think we mostly said we watched TV and read. Mostly I just check my email 500000000000 times a day.

Edited by zizeksucks

1. Reading all kinds of junk on this website that I have no way of ever having benefited from.
  2. I just now ate two twinkies; that is, eating poorly.
  3. Watching a lot of cartoons and foreign TV on Hulu, because my comfort shows are on hiatus and it's making me angry. Although, Sherlock season 3 came out over the break so that helped a little bit... and Almost Human just started back up a couple weeks ago, so I'm getting by I guess.
  4. Playing video games on the internet, killing the same guy over and over and over and over...
  5. Going for walks in the middle of the night.
  6. Talking to myself during any and all of the above activities.
  7. Sure I read some philosophy books too... but I would not recommend the above suggested reading, because I came across an equally volatile controversy in another subject a few weeks ago and because my brain isn't operating intelligently at this time, I became totally belligerent about it. I suggest non-controversy readings - not dealing with current topics, until we all get our brains back. -from personal experience. That and Scientology books are hit and miss: if they don't mention the espionage carried out against the government, for example, then they are probably biased. I usually just direct people to the South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet" if they feel the need to know what Scientology is about. 22 minutes is faster than a book.
  8. Think about exercising... LOL

I actually started something similar to this but it got buried. I think we mostly said we watched TV and read. Mostly I just check my email 500000000000 times a day.

I went ahead and did the math on that. If you are constantly checking email for 24 hours in a row, then you're averaging a little under 5.8 million email checks per second. I admire your speed and dedication.

I haven't been reading much philosophy. It bothers me that I haven't. I need to start doing it again, and consistently. I've been reading some fiction (just started A Confederacy of Dunces, which is fucking phenomenal). I tell myself that I'll keep up with Game of Thrones and House of Cards. Then I don't. I've begun exercising. That really does wonders.

I find I was much more stressed completing my applications than now. I just assume I won't get in anywhere and that I'll have to try again next year. But I'm still of course very eager to hear from some places.

To pass the time I do some math, read some Foucault, go on hikes, go to work, and have gone from zero to current on The Good Wife and Game of Thrones.

I would not recommend Waiting for Godot, alternatively known as Waiting for Grad School Notifications.

I'm not good with either waiting or uncertainty, so I try to be busy. What helps me most is either reading or listening to music or going to the movies. And, of course, always and everywhere having immediate access to my phone (in case they call) or e-mail (in case they get in touch that way). I got waitlisted at a school so that took some of the edge off, it lets me know that I'm in the running and that my application is at least good enough to be competitive at a top-40 school. Like, they wouldn't have wait listed me if my application were defective in any way. I think the acceptances for a lot of schools will come out this week, but that's just a hunch. So you won't have to wait much longer, hopefully, before you hear something.

I would recommend falling in love with someone, which may completely obliterate the thoughts related to checking TGC. Also, I recommend against activities using internet: too much exposure to both meaninglessness and TGC.

On a similar note, I've filled the time by overthinking all my relationships and pestering my (very busy) boyfriend to hang out with me. Also, House of Cards. 

My approach is to take my urges to refresh GradCafe and my email account and direct those towards other things. For example, I recently got into photography (I bought a used Canon 60d and some used lenses). So far I've been focusing on waterfowl (e.g., ducks, geese, ibises, and anhingas), but I might branch out to trees later on if I feel adventurous.

I've also been trying to reach out to the general public more than was possible when I was in school. I gave a public lecture based on my master's thesis at a short story/poetry reading a few weeks ago. I know that sounds boring, but I was able to make it so accessible that I was later approached by a literary magazine --and I was doing straight up analytic philosophy of science! I would highly recommend that people on this forum do that; it's easy, fun, and you're all more than qualified.

I have also been collaborating with a group of artists, musicians, and actors in an interdisciplinary story telling group. Each month we select a text, set it to music, and perform it. My role is to provide an entertaining analysis of the text and juxtapose that with the performance. We had a performance this Thursday where I would enter the stage and give my analysis while the actors and musicians would basically just freeze in place. I would highly recommend doing these sorts of collaborations; not only are they fun (I felt like a rock star at the after party and have since been recognized by people on the street), but we can learn a lot about presentation from actors.

Working for money can help to remind you why you want to get into academia, so I'd recommend getting a job. I studied music before I got into philosophy, so I play a lot of gigs and teach music lessons (I also invented a teaching tool that I have been developing, which has involved website design, patent stuff, negotiating with factories, & etc.), and I work as an editor.

So just find ways to redirect your urges towards more positive things. A less charitable interpretation of my recommendation is as follows: I think it's best to have so many things on your plate that you can constantly distract yourself from being overwhelmed by the terror that you would feel if you actually allowed yourself to contemplate the horror of your situation.

Edited by Structural_Realist

I tend to be less available to the world when reading, so I've spent most of my free time reading. The problem, however, is when I have work to do at a computer. The temptation to refresh my e-mail is much too great, unfortunately. I suppose, at least, it gives me some strong intuitive evidence in favour of akrasia.

I don't mean to ridicule anyone, but I laughed out loud when I read that people relax by lifting weights. It's even funnier, because I know Occam's Razorburn. We're very different people, but I'm pretty sure that neither of us lifts weights (or would lift weights in any close possible world). I have some friends and family members who lift weights, exercise, or go jogging. (I'm pretty sure that's a soft 'J'.) I'm glad they take pleasure in these things.

I run, meditate, write in a journal, keep up with friends and family, and restrain the caffeine to a medium buzz. It's good to practice good habits now, because it only gets harder from here.

This is good advice. 

When I'm stressed, I usually get excessively focused on the future. The most effective way for me to manage stress is to get centered and focused on my everyday life. Things that help with that: meditating (5 minute chunks). Waking up early enough so I can start my day in a non-rushed way. Paying attention to how I spend my time. Hiking and walking. When I'm walking somewhere and it's not freezing, taking the time to pay attention to my surroundings—asking myself what I can hear, smell, etc. Keeping a "journal," where I just write down 3 favorite moments at the end of every day. Avoiding my computer for the 2 hours before bed. I don't do all of these things regularly, but I should. 

There's a lot of evidence that exercise can be really helpful in managing stress. It's something I would like to do more.  

This is good advice. 

When I'm stressed, I usually get excessively focused on the future. The most effective way for me to manage stress is to get centered and focused on my everyday life. Things that help with that: meditating (5 minute chunks). Waking up early enough so I can start my day in a non-rushed way. Paying attention to how I spend my time. Hiking and walking. When I'm walking somewhere and it's not freezing, taking the time to pay attention to my surroundings—asking myself what I can hear, smell, etc. Keeping a "journal," where I just write down 3 favorite moments at the end of every day. Avoiding my computer for the 2 hours before bed. I don't do all of these things regularly, but I should. 

There's a lot of evidence that exercise can be really helpful in managing stress. It's something I would like to do more.  

You sound a little too mentally healthy to be a philosopher...

I'm very anxious about this whole process. If I watch TV I'm wondering about how my apps are doing, or what I'll do if I don't get in; whenever I'm reading and put the book down for a moment to reflect on what I read, I wind up ruminating on this whole app situation. The only thing I've found so far that 100% relaxes me is translating Greek — but of course, even here one can never risk translating Classical Greek, lest the difficulty of the syntax cause oneself to question one's self worth. Is it sad when Atheists find consolation in the Greek New Testament?

Edited by Rollontheground