Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Really sorry to hear that. Here's hoping you get lucky. 

I must say, in my email correspondence, Draper seems like a supremely nice fellow. If his demeanor and thoroughness is any indication of the departmental atmosphere in general, I will most definitely be applying to Purdue again in two years (given that it seems very, very unlikely I will be admitted this time around).

I must say, in my email correspondence, Draper seems like a supremely nice fellow. If his demeanor and thoroughness is any indication of the departmental atmosphere in general, I will most definitely be applying to Purdue again in two years (given that it seems very, very unlikely I will be admitted this time around).

Based on my visit, all of the faculty I met were very nice people! It seemed like a great program there, so I don't think you would regret reapplying if you didn't get in. 

Based on my visit, all of the faculty I met were very nice people! It seemed like a great program there, so I don't think you would regret reapplying if you didn't get in. 

Have you had any more word on funding from the department yet?

I (apparently) got the spot at Loyola that wandajune declined.  Not shut out:  Huzzah!!  Thanks wandajune!

Congratulations! Not sure if it was my spot, though, I declined a little while back. Either way, that's great news!

UVA sent an email update to all waitlists. They said this: "Because of the large financial commitment attached to each offer, our Graduate School is very reluctant to allow any department to enroll more students than their allotted number." Now, I don't know if that means the likelihood of an offer is small, or that they have to wait until all of their initial offers have responded. 

It wasn't me. I think I'm going to go and cry for a while now. I will say though, it seems all of the other UVA admits all came by email, so who knows...

Well, now that you mentioned it I came to believe that that's probably fake. S/he said the call's from POI, and it seems that Paul Humphreys' been doing the contacting work all the time.

UVA sent an email update to all waitlists. They said this: "Because of the large financial commitment attached to each offer, our Graduate School is very reluctant to allow any department to enroll more students than their allotted number." Now, I don't know if that means the likelihood of an offer is small, or that they have to wait until all of their initial offers have responded. 

I feel the same. What does the email even mean? 

mine said that two candidates can't make a decision until the 13th, so we won't get info till the 14th...FML.

My said "a couple" instead of "two". FML.

Look, we can sit here wasting time trying to parse the semantics of Paul Humphrey's letter, or we can face facts. *The bottom line* is, that more offers are *possible*, though the odds are *long* that any one candidate will see an offer.....remember what I wrote a few posts ago, about how Paul said enrollment is very strictly limited by the Graduate School? He said that for a *reason*- so we wouldn't think that they are going to make several more offers, like one poster suggested here on I think page 18, the one who had visited UVA with the other 2 people who were admitted. Another guy said there are 26 people in total being admitted and on the waitlist. That means, minus the 5-6 they admitted, that there are *at best* 2 spots for 20 people- *assuming* that *both* of the people who said they can't get back about their offer before April 15th, don't take UVA's offer. And what would make anybody think that the offer on the results page was fake? Because it suits your belief that there is still a very good chance of getting into UVA? At some point, ladies and gentlemen, we all have to start getting realistic about our prospects at UVA this year. Paul Humphrey went out of his way in that email to be very cautious, and not offer *one word* of encouragement. And by the way, he said that he would be in touch if they make any *further* offers from the waitlist, implying that one, and perhaps more, offers had been made from the waitlist already, thus offering a response to the poster above who thought the admission on the results page was "fake." It is a very difficult thing to try to adjust to a disappointing reality, but believe me, the sooner you go through that process, the sooner you will find peace. 

And yes, folks, you can safely interpret "a couple" to mean "two." The reason you can safely interpret it that way, is that unlike all of us, myself included, Paul Humphreys does not analyze each and every word of his email to death to determine its exact and precise meaning. He writes it, rereads it, and sends it. 

Look, we can sit here wasting time trying to parse the semantics of Paul Humphrey's letter, or we can face facts. *The bottom line* is, that rather than allowing people to cope in whatever way they deem necessary following the likely, and possibly disappointing, conclusion of a year long application process, that is both financially and emotionally taxing, as people attempt to make major life decisions, I would instead like everyone to stop what they have been doing on this forum, in almost every thread, for the past several months and get on my page. Because that would obviously be easier for me than closing my browser window and just letting folks live.

Fixed for accuracy.

Removed myself from the ND waitlist and declined Gonzaga. :)

I declined Gonzaga the other day, too. It hurt a little. I think I would have had a good time there... travel in and out of Spokane is just ridiculously expensive...