Let's talk pros/cons of schools in New York.......

I am trying to get feedback about what is good and what is not so good about the following schools. I would love to hear from anyone who has had direct experience or knows someone in the program. Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Mercy College

Adelphi

CUNY Brooklyn College

CUNY Hunter College

St. Johns

College of St. Rose

Touro

LIU Brooklyn

NYU

SUNY New PAltz

I have also heard that some programs are focused on tremendous amount of journal reading and summarizing, while other programs have more of a lecture and book reading approach.

I would love to know which programs utilize each of the 2 approaches.....

Personally I would not know but I have worked with and have friends at Teacher's College for Speech and they absolutely love it. Expensive but worth the money they say. The school has many connections around the city so placements will be very valuable they say

I am trying to get feedback about what is good and what is not so good about the following schools. I would love to hear from anyone who has had direct experience or knows someone in the program. Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Mercy College

Adelphi

CUNY Brooklyn College

CUNY Hunter College

St. Johns

College of St. Rose

Touro

LIU Brooklyn

NYU

SUNY New PAltz

I agree, great topic. These are the things I personally know and things I have heard from other graduates

-Mercy College: I knew someone and they loved it, I remember she said she didn't have a stellar GPA but she graduated and found employment quick.

-CUNY Hunter: I went to an open house two years ago, and loll I definitely knew I wasn't going to apply to their school. They are extremely rigorous and accept a small number of students. They do not have an undergrad for Speech and Language. I remember the director telling a story of how they accepted a student who got a touching letter from her employer that didn't know anything about speech but gave an awesome LOR

-St. Johns: The graduate director there is tough as nails but she is considered one of the best audiologists. A graduate student I met up with recently says the faculty still treats students like undergrads and not graduate students, but idk I liked St.John's when I went there. That stuff didn't matter to me.

-Touro College: I don't know how competitive their program is but everyone says it's easier to get into. I think when people say that, they're talking about the undergrad programs offered at Touro College. I heard it's pretty expensive too.

Well that's everything I know about the schools. I would like to know about Brooklyn College and St.Rose though :)

When you say that faculty treats graduate students like undergraduates what do you mean? They "baby" their students?

Does anyone know which programs focus on the tremendous use of journal reading? I have heard that some programs really stress the need to read tons of articles, while others are more focused on book learning. BUT I do not know which ones!

Not baby their students, but that she said they're not close with their graduate students. The student that said this is a bit of an over-achiever, so I don't know if it's maybe her that's not connecting with the professors. Personally I'm in a position where I don't care, I just want to get accepted into St.John's. I went there and I remember the faculty was very inviting.

Mercy College

Adelphi

CUNY Brooklyn College

CUNY Hunter College

St. Johns

College of St. Rose

Touro

LIU Brooklyn

NYU

SUNY New PAltz

I would also really like to know about Touros speech program, and if they give generous scholarships because the tuition is very expensive. Also, do their graduates mainly work in the public schools? Are there graduates who work in hospitals or nursing homes? If anyone knows.......