Dear 2015 applicants, here is what we have learned from the 2014 season

Edit_Undo

If your BA isn't from a well regarded school, and by this I probably mean PGR, don't even mess with PhD programs. No matter who you are your chances are very poor. There are many good MA programs that you should consider to stepping stone your way in to a top school.

I too disagree with this advice. There are dozens of well-regarded schools out there that do not have phd programs and are therefore not on PGR. My school is a top 35 nationally acclaimed school with no PGR ranking in sight, and I have been successful. 

RE: The GRE, I was told explicitly from one school I was waitlisted at that my lower than (their) average GRE score was what held me back.

But as someone earlier intimated, there are few ACTUAL answers. Admission committees are composed by people with a diverse set of preferences. How your SOP, GRE scores, letters, and writing sample will weigh together and be individually judged will depend on the particularities of the persons on the adcom.

The best attitude to have is this: everything matters. Give it your best shot. Apply to a wide variety of programs. Don't think you're too good for an MA. Don't think you're not good enough for a PhD. If you get shut out, don't get discouraged. You just had ad luck. Apply again, and keep on working on your application materials.

I second that it's a good idea to apply to a variety of schools. My personal situation (although by no means typical) is that top 10 schools reject me, top 10-30 either admit or waitlist me, and top 30-50 schools admit me with university fellowship. It's fun to see such a solid structure. And by the way, I do not tailor my personal statement to department so my fit alone might not weigh much in their consideration of my application.

As far as average GRE scores, both Wisconsin-Madison and Duke publish this, and the scores are on average around 163-165 verbal and 155-160 quant.

That makes me feel a lot better, I think I was over that on both... I confess I've forgotten and I can't remember my password into the GRE site. LOL

There is a lot that one could say in regards to the application process and how everything went... All I know is that I failed to start early enough (lack of foresight on my part). So, I submitted a number of my applications last minute. In fact, I was working on my writing sample paper up until the day of the deadlines for some schools. That probably hurt me to some extent. However, I was able to submit all of my applications on time. 

Here is a list of things one should consider in applying:

• Talk, talk, talk with your professors/recommenders. They are a valuable resource for much of this process because they have been through the process before (at least if they have a Master's or Ph.D). The younger professors especially will have more up-to-date information as to the application process and what schools might want from applicants. NOTE: Make sure you ask your recommenders to write the recommendation letters months in advance. The best way to approach them so no social faux pas occur is to ask, "Do you feel that you know my work well enough to write me a positive recommendation letter for graduate school?" Something like that. 
  • Take the GRE early (maybe as early as June or early July). Because, if you are unsatisfied with your scores, you will need time to (i) study and (ii) retake it in enough time for the scores to reach the schools before their application deadlines.
  • Speaking of studying for the GRE: DO SO. I did not, and, while I feel like my first set of scores are acceptable, they are not where I wish they had been. (When I retook the GRE to try to improve, I did even worse... Again, I failed to study as I should have...)
  • Also, research the schools to which you might wish to apply. Thankfully, philosophy has the awesome Leiter's Report: The Philosophical Gourmet Report which is incredibly handy. For better or worse, jobs want "pedigree." They want to be able to recognize the name of the school and know that it has a good program. The Gourmet Report is a good source for figuring that out yourself. NOTE: Be realistic about your abilities and your goals, but don't sell yourself short. Apply to schools on a tier-basis: lower, middle, higher. Higher-tiered schools (e.g. Harvard) will be harder to get into, but to give yourself a variety of opportunities apply to one or two of the higher ranked programs. The middle-tiered programs should be schools that you have a better shot of getting into. The lower-tiered schools are the ones you possibly have the best shot getting into. However, these tiers are fluid, and the ranking or whatever of each school you pick will be entirely based on your ability and your stats. Be honest with yourself while being confident.
  • Pick anywhere from 8 to 15 schools. This will get a bit expensive, especially considering the cost of the GRE, sending GRE scores, purchasing transcripts, money spent on copies or prints of things like transcripts, costs of envelopes and postage, etc. etc. However, you want to give yourself the best shot possible. By applying to only three schools, you run a severe risk of not being accepted anywhere. At least with more schools, you have a wider variety of programs as well as a variance as to what kind of applicants schools are looking for. (That is, if you only apply to Harvard, UNC Chapel Hill, and Boston University, you cut off other possible schools such as UIUC or somewhere else.) NOTE: Just because you might have the stats and everything else to get you into a school does not guarantee acceptance; schools have your interests in mind as well as their own. If they don't think you would receive what would be beneficial to you at their program, you might be rejected/wait-listed.
  • Save your money to pay for this endeavor. This seems like a weird piece of advice, but applying for grad school is an enormous financial endeavor, honestly. When application fees are ranging from $40 to $150 and the GRE is almost $200 itself, you will want to make sure you have some cash set aside just for all of these expenses. I was told that I might even consider taking out a loan if necessary. (However, I recognize that is a dangerous piece of advice. Be judicious about that, please...)
  • Lastly, make sure you compile lists of application parts for each school. All schools will have the main application (where you will put information like your name, birth date, graduation date, mailing and permanent addresses, etc.), but many will also require any combination of the following: GRE scores (self-reported and officially sent), transcripts (official and/or uploaded/unofficial), resume/C.V., a writing sample, recommendation letters, and a (personal) statement of purpose. For some of these things, you can just have one copy on your computer (like the writing sample) and simply upload where appropriate. (Make sure you are sure that all of the information they ask for is on each document, if they ask for any at all. For example, Boston University gives each applicant a number that they want on the top of your writing sample, resume/C.V., and your personal statement.)

That's most of my experiences, anyhow. Hopefully, that helps. :)

Edited by Wisdom-Lover

I too disagree with this advice. There are dozens of well-regarded schools out there that do not have phd programs and are therefore not on PGR. My school is a top 35 nationally acclaimed school with no PGR ranking in sight, and I have been successful. 

Certainly. Swarthmore and Dartmouth immediately come to mind. But let's be sure not to let a debate over details cloud the nature of the advice to prospective applicants, which is that pedigree matters very much.

How to calculate cost of applying:

N=number of schools

N(transcript fees + $25 + $82)

$25=GRE score fee

$82=average application fee*

Lost income from devoting time to applications

I spent ~$2600 for philosophy applications and another ~$1400 for law applications.

*Unless you skip Stanford, in which case your average fee goes down like $10.

Edited by ianfaircloud

I must admit I'm surprised at how many people mention the cost of sending transcripts. My school never charged me for a transcript. I didn't know that was a thing. Not sure how I feel about being charged for proof of one's own grades.

Here's a potentially controversial piece of advice that I'd pass on to anyone who's thinking of applying in the future: Don't spend too much time on your statement of purpose. In fact, I wouldn't bother tailoring it at all. Best case scenario, you tell the committee something they already know. Worst case, you say something wrong and really damage their impression of you. I'm a big fan of just being honest about your interests and academic history (notable courses and past work, etc.), and leaving it at that. Basically, think of the opposite of what you're supposed to do for a job cover letter/resume. I think adcoms read statements for three reasons: (1) to get a sense of what the applicant is about, (2) to see if the applicant can describe their area of interest competently, and (3) to see if the applicant and proof-read. Everything else is just window dressing; make sure you hit those notes, but know that there's not much point to adding anything else. Moreover, your time is much better spent on your writing sample--and trust me, there is no such thing as enough time for working on your writing sample. My statement took about two days and most of that was spent waiting for feedback; I spent 3 months on a sample adapted from a thesis that I worked on for a year and it still isn't as good as I would've liked. (N.B., I've been accepted by one school ranked in the 40s and one unranked, and I'm waitlisted at a school in the top-30.)

Edited by lesage13

I must admit I'm surprised at how many people mention the cost of sending transcripts. My school never charged me for a transcript. I didn't know that was a thing. Not sure how I feel about being charged for proof of one's own grades.

I'm surprised too. My school just lets you do that as an option in their website, you don't get charged or anything. So weird.

Here's a potentially controversial piece of advice that I'd pass on to anyone who's thinking of applying in the future: Don't spend too much time on your statement of purpose. In fact, I wouldn't bother tailoring it at all. Best case scenario, you tell the committee something they already know. Worst case, you say something wrong and really damage their impression of you. I'm a big fan of just being honest about your interests and academic history (notable courses and past work, etc.), and leaving it at that. Basically, think of the opposite of what you're supposed to do for a job cover letter/resume. I think adcoms read statements for three reasons: (1) to get a sense of what the applicant is about, (2) to see if the applicant can describe their area of interest competently, and (3) to see if the applicant and proof-read. Everything else is just window dressing; make sure you hit those notes, but know that there's not much point to adding anything else. Moreover, your time is much better spent on your writing sample--and trust me, there is no such thing as enough time for working on your writing sample. My statement took about two days and most of that was spent waiting for feedback; I spent 3 months on a sample adapted from a thesis that I worked on for a year and it still isn't as good as I would've liked. (N.B., I've been accepted by one school ranked in the 40s and one unranked, and I'm waitlisted at a school in the top-30.)

I guess all I did right, according to that was proof-read. I still haven't found any type-os in anything I sent out. But I know there were some failures in other areas... is what I'm sure of.

I want to strongly, strongly disagree with this advice. Every single professor I have talked to both in my leiter-ranked department or at other programs has strongly insisted that I spend a good deal of time on the statement of purpose and sell why I am a good fit at a school.

Here's why: Every program has other programs that are considered its equal competitors, and almost every school has schools that are considered slightly or significantly better in a certain field. If you don't tailor your statement or don't give some indication as to why you would be a good fit there, they will just see you as the applicant that "actually just wants to get into Michigan" but is applying to this school as a backup. You don't want them to get that impression of you. You want them to see you as someone genuinely excited about their school in particular. They want to see that they are more than "the #28 ranked school that you sent an application to merely because it was on the list."

Now, I'm not saying that you can't get in if you don't personalize. Maybe personalization helps your acceptance rate a percent or two at each school, but every bit of information I have received from every person I have talked to has been 100% positive towards the idea of customizing a statement of purpose to at least demonstrate that you have done some research on the department and that there is a place and people for you there. Multiple schools that have accepted/waitlisted me have mentioned my interests and my explanation of fit/POIs as a positive factor on my app.

That said, there are ways to screw it up....like....you say you are attracted to one of the program's strengths that isn't really a strength...but all of those kinds of mistakes can be avoided by actually doing your homework.

I want to strongly, strongly disagree with this advice. Every single professor I have talked to both in my leiter-ranked department or at other programs has strongly insisted that I spend a good deal of time on the statement of purpose and sell why I am a good fit at a school.

Here's why: Every program has other programs that are considered its equal competitors, and almost every school has schools that are considered slightly or significantly better in a certain field. If you don't tailor your statement or don't give some indication as to why you would be a good fit there, they will just see you as the applicant that "actually just wants to get into Michigan" but is applying to this school as a backup. You don't want them to get that impression of you. You want them to see you as someone genuinely excited about their school in particular. They want to see that they are more than "the #28 ranked school that you sent an application to merely because it was on the list."

Now, I'm not saying that you can't get in if you don't personalize. Maybe personalization helps your acceptance rate a percent or two at each school, but every bit of information I have received from every person I have talked to has been 100% positive towards the idea of customizing a statement of purpose to at least demonstrate that you have done some research on the department and that there is a place and people for you there. Multiple schools that have accepted/waitlisted me have mentioned my interests and my explanation of fit/POIs as a positive factor on my app.

That said, there are ways to screw it up....like....you say you are attracted to one of the program's strengths that isn't really a strength...but all of those kinds of mistakes can be avoided by actually doing your homework.

I've met one professor who mentioned that SOP's are worthless. That said, a SOP as described above won't hurt you if he's on your adcom, but lacking a SOP as above for adcom's that do care could hurt you. So it makes sense to invest a little into your SOP.

Regardless, I second the above advice. I've generally been told to tailor my SOP's.

My approach to the SOP was to use the same basic format for each one, but to populate it with different relevant details relative to the department to which it was being sent. So mine was tailored without having to write a totally brand new statement for each and every school.

I knew this would be controversial... :)

FWIW, I've known people who've been successful at top schools with both tailored and untailored statements. And I've been told that I'm a wonderful fit at schools I've been accepted to, despite not having tailored my app. Generally, I dont think we need to worry about adcoms getting the impression that they're just a safety pick to us or that we're unserious--the cost of the app alone, given the typical student's finances, is enough to ward off throw away apps.

Perhaps I should've added that I did not mean to suggest that one should not take the statement seriously, nor that tailoring can't help. Do take it seriously, and do tailor it if you truly cannot further improve your sample. But given limited time and mental resources, your time will likely be better spent on one's sample, because the gains from tailoring are quite minimal and the sample is the most crucial part of one's app that's also under one's control.

Edit_Undo, on 25 Feb 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:snapback.png

Oh and one more thing, convince Ian faircloud to post info and updates for next season, or find someone who would keep the legacy. We are lucky to have Ian for this season.

It's really been a pleasure. I appreciate the comment.

Ian, I also want to thank you for your blog; it's been really helpful. I wish you had included some of the top schools for continental philosophy, but I totally understand the choice of only working with Leiter's top 50.

I guess I'll share:

1) Don't wait until the last second.

2) Let someone look at your writing samples before sending them out

3) Don't finish your writing samples at the last second and then send them out without having someone look at them

4) :mellow:

Ian, I also want to thank you for your blog; it's been really helpful. I wish you had included some of the top schools for continental philosophy, but I totally understand the choice of only working with Leiter's top 50.

Is there a continental philosophy programs ranking? If so, that could be a helpful place for me to start...

2015, don't let anyone tell you that you don't have enough qualifications to get accepted. Apply to reach schools, and apply bravely. Miracles do happen here on TGC (not just on 34th Street).