NPSIA 2014 Fall Applicants

lahdeedah

Question: has anyone rejected any offers yet?  I'm just wondering how Munk, NPSIA, or GPSIA respond (if at all) when you decline an offer.

I've rejected my offers from Munk and GSPIA. Both responses were pretty standard, just "We're sorry you won't be joining us, thank you for your interest" kind of thing.

I would like your opinions on what would be better for working in Canada with international organizations- NPSIA Or GPSIA.   I am really struggling deciding which to attend.  As a slightly older student my greatest focus is on getting coop placements.

I have great relationships with professors at GPSIA but NPSIA has a better reputation.

I dont want to spend another academic chapter at ottawa u but i cant help thinking the relationships I have there are not easily duplicated.

I am not interested in working internationally or in the foreign service, rather I hope to work locally in ottawa for an internationl org, ngo or govt.

Thoughts? I would greatly appreciate insight.

Edited by MAofIndecision

I was told by NPSIA staff & students that co-op placements have become extremely competitive because students are coming in with less (professional experience, making the competition for co-ops much fiercer and expensive ($400 dollars to access the list of possible co-ops!). In the words of the administration, "you won't really have a choice when it will come to picking the co-p". I got the feeling they were very strong in government internships, but less so with NGOS and int. organizations (not that there's many in Ottawa). My personal experience with internships has been that connections (both academic and professional) can really get you through the door. The friends I have who work in int.organizations both in DC and Ottawa usually got in that way. In other words, if you are aiming at entering a particular field and have profs that have connections in Ottawa, GPSIA might give you a leg up in getting those contacts. Though I don't know who your profs are, Roland Paris is probably worth an entire school when it comes to security contacts. NPSIA is a great program, but you can't necessarily be banking on prestige alone or having profs that will go to bat to you. Just my 2 cents based on trying to decide schools, myself :)

Edited by Kanton

I would like your opinions on what would be better for working in Canada with international organizations- NPSIA Or GPSIA.   I am really struggling deciding which to attend.  As a slightly older student my greatest focus is on getting coop placements.

I have great relationships with professors at GPSIA but NPSIA has a better reputation.

I dont want to spend another academic chapter at ottawa u but i cant help thinking the relationships I have there are not easily duplicated.

I am not interested in working internationally or in the foreign service, rather I hope to work locally in ottawa for an internationl org, ngo or govt.

Thoughts? I would greatly appreciate insight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way! It's so hard to choose, since both schools are located in Ottawa and I believe co-op opportunities will be hard to get for both programs.

Personally, I think if you want co-op placements, I think NPSIA would be a better fit, given its connection to the federal government and prestige in the foreign affairs department. As for internships for NGOs and international organizations, I'm sure both GSPIA and NPSIA equally have numerous positions, given that most of them are unpaid or low-paying positions.

I was told by NPSIA staff & students that co-op placements have become extremely competitive because students are coming in with less (professional experience, making the competition for co-ops much fiercer and expensive ($400 dollars to access the list of possible co-ops!). In the words of the administration, "you won't really have a choice when it will come to picking the co-p". I got the feeling they were very strong in government internships, but less so with NGOS and int. organizations (not that there's many in Ottawa). My personal experience with internships has been that connections (both academic and professional) can really get you through the door. The friends I have who work in int.organizations both in DC and Ottawa usually got in that way. In other words, if you are aiming at entering a particular field and have profs that have connections in Ottawa, GPSIA might give you a leg up in getting those contacts. Though I don't know who your profs are, Roland Paris is probably worth an entire school when it comes to security contacts. NPSIA is a great program, but you can't necessarily be banking on prestige alone or having profs that will go to bat to you. Just my 2 cents based on trying to decide schools, myself :)

In terms of connections with professors, which school would you say is a better fit for foreign policy (as opposed to security)? I'm really interested in that and I don't know whether GSPIA or NPSIA have a better faculty with respect to this field.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If I were to be honest with you, I would probably take the program that is providing you with the more attractive funding package as I don't think that the difference between the two programs is such that it is worth taking on more debt - given that both schools are well-situated and have access to the co-op opportunities in Ottawa. Again, I don't think that there is a 'best' program per se, but both GSPIA and NPSIA will provide you with opportunities in international affairs in the long-term.

Thank you all for the feedback. I am very torn.  I have been strongly advised to take NPSIA for the prestige factor for external recognition for jobs... but I am still heavily swayed by the excellent quality of  professors at GPSIA who are also experts still practicing outside of research as well, and whom I already have a relationship with.

There are no bad options clearly so I don't mean to be ungrateful.  I am just struggling as to what (if any) is better in the long term as I want to stay local and it is very hard to determine.

Regarding the question about foreign policy- I would  not be able to comment on NPSIA as much but for GPSIA, given the CIPS organization and frankly Roland Paris, Peter Jones, Wesley Wark, Michael Williams and Alex Gheciu as leaders in their fields.....  foreign policy is well represented. Cips, and its events, is exceptional and attracts experts from all over the world. 

Can anyone comment as to whether professionals in the field care about the APSIA accreditation designation in the field?   I am surprised other schools have not acquired it.

Edited by MAofIndecision

Hi!

I'm Masa and I found out that I got accepted to NPSIA this morning (Japan time).

I also got accepted to Munk School of Global Affairs with a scholarship.

I don't think I will get a scholarship from NPSIA. I'm trying to find out which school to attend.

What would you say? Munk or NPSIA?

Even with the scholarship from Munk and without any scholarships from NPSIA, I'm guessing it will be less expensive for me to attend NPSIA.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Masa from Tokyo

Thank you all for the feedback. I am very torn.  I have been strongly advised to take NPSIA for the prestige factor for external recognition for jobs... but I am still heavily swayed by the excellent quality of  professors at GPSIA who are also experts still practicing outside of research as well, and whom I already have a relationship with.

There are no bad options clearly so I don't mean to be ungrateful.  I am just struggling as to what (if any) is better in the long term as I want to stay local and it is very hard to determine.

Regarding the question about foreign policy- I would  not be able to comment on NPSIA as much but for GPSIA, given the CIPS organization and frankly Roland Paris, Peter Jones, Wesley Wark, Michael Williams and Alex Gheciu as leaders in their fields.....  foreign policy is well represented. Cips, and its events, is exceptional and attracts experts from all over the world. 

Can anyone comment as to whether professionals in the field care about the APSIA accreditation designation in the field?   I am surprised other schools have not acquired it.

I dont think that the APSIA accreditation is too big of a deal. In terms of GPSIA and NPSIA, I would agree with the previous poster that it might be better off to take the greater funding package since both programs provide you with access to similar opportunities in Ottawa. As youve mentioned, GPSIA seems to have an excellent faculty in foreign policy (although I cant comment on NPSIA as thoroughly as I am less familiar with their professors). I would be very careful about basing your decision solely on prestige and that having a strong network of contacts and professionals that you can rely upon shouldnt be underestimated at all. But, whatever you choose to do, Im sure youll be making the right one! :)

Nope. I went to a rather renowned APSIA school for my undergrad and it makes very very little difference. Academically, universities recognize APSIA schools as top international affairs programs but professionally, it's worth zilch (and I say this, after having had a few related internships).

I would recommend talking to profs you trust in the program and asking them directly. Foreign policy wise though, both schools are great,

though I would argue that U of Ottawa has the bigger names (with some exceptions at NPSIA like Saideman). 

I'd agree with the previous commenter that there's really no "best" program, it all comes down to what feels like the best fit.

Welcome Masa! And congrats, apparently NPSIA only admitted 2 international students this year. Both programs have a lot to offer, it all comes down to what your academic interests and professional aspirations are (NPSIA might be a better fit for those who want to work for the Canadian government, etc...) . Toronto is most definitely more expensive, but it's a much more interesting city as well.

Edited by Kanton

Thank you for responding to my question. 

I think the APSIA accreditation designation will help you if you are moving outside of the Canadian sphere, since it is recognized internationally. However, if you are planning on staying within Canada, then I don't think it matters at all. 

Personally, since you already have a good relationship with the professors at GSPIA, I would suggest GSPIA over NPSIA. It means that you can build rapport with them and further your relations with them. Note that if you are in NPSIA, you'll also be competing with students who are equally eager to network with professors. Not only this, but since you want to stay local, I believe you already have an advantage over other students if you were to choose GSPIA.

Edited by timeisticking

Got a mail that my application is on hold, will be reviewed in April-August and in case there is some space they may consider for admission.

Received the same email today as well, can I ask what school/gpa/experience you had?

Received the same email today as well, can I ask what school/gpa/experience you had?

hi, i have my masters from india, difficult to convert that into GPA, left that for carleton to do. i am a journalist with 15 years experience, started very young complete my bachelors when i was working. now in canada

Hope you don't mind me asking you this, but which other master's programs have you applied for? 

hi,

unfortunately, this is the only program I applied for, this or nothing.

hi,

unfortunately, this is the only program I applied for, this or nothing.

Hope you don't mind me asking you this, but which other master's programs have you applied for? 

I'm in the same boat as both of you. My application is on "hold".

I've been told that roughly 400 applications were submitted and they will be accepting 95 candidates. I'm curious how many of us are on "hold".

In case you're curious, I also applied to the University of Ottawa for a Master's in Globalization and International Development, as well as the University of Saskatchewan for a Masters in Political Studies. Fortunately, I was accepted to both however NPSIA is still my first choice.

Fingers crossed for all of us :)

Hi all, for those who have already accepted their offer at NPSIA, is anyone interested in starting a Facebook group?

Yup. Should we DM you our contact info?

Edited by lahdeedah

Yup. Should we DM you our contact info?

Great, let's do it. I'll make a Facebook group and we can start talking courses, etc. I have a a close friend at NPSIA and he has been a great resource so far so I can share some of his wisdom with you and so on... I'm sure we are all in the middle of exams and final essays so we'll take our time with this but I'll get it started and wait for all interested to send me their contacts.

Can't wait to meet you all!!