Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Thanks for the heads up Ashiepoo. I've just checked and mine's a rejection, too. I think I'd really talked myself into believing it was gonna happen. It was by far the best fit (a point raised by a POI at a school I didn't apply to). Is 7 AM too early for bourbon?

Hi Ashiepoo72, I applied to 12 schools, so I'm waiting on 9 more.  My acceptance is from one of my top choices so I'm already happy about that.  I'm just a big admirer of the Northwestern history program; any program that doesn't believe in the GRE is a winner in my book... :)

Thanks for the heads up Ashiepoo. I've just checked and mine's a rejection, too. I think I'd really talked myself into believing it was gonna happen. It was by far the best fit (a point raised by a POI at a school I didn't apply to). Is 7 AM too early for bourbon?

If you want bourbon, it's never too early! Sorry to hear about the rejection. It's their loss! 

Quick question -- if you've received an offer from one of your top choices, is it generally advisable to withdraw one's application from one's non-top choices?

Quick question -- if you've received an offer from one of your top choices, is it generally advisable to withdraw one's application from one's non-top choices?

I know someone who did this with a few of her options and it didn't hurt her at all. But her top choice was the same university she did her MA at and it had always been far and away her desire to remain there.

If it were me though, I'd probably just promptly decline any such offers.

I'm glad you asked that, because I was wondering the same thing. My husband already got a rejection from one of the schools I applied to, and I was thinking about emailing them to withdraw my app, especially now that we both have an acceptance at a school we'd both be happy at.

I think I'm going to let it ride and decline immediately if I get an acceptance email/call so that I free up the slot for someone who'd otherwise be waitlisted. It's a shame, cause it's a great program for me, but we considered the possibility of the distance thing, and decided that it was only an option if we didn't have any overlap at all.

Any news on the Illinois admits? My POI and online portal are still silent. I am worried because my POI at Berkeley reached out and told me she was not able to get anyone in this year, though my webpage for Berkeley is still at the 'submitted' stage.

Any news on the Illinois admits? My POI and online portal are still silent. I am worried because my POI at Berkeley reached out and told me she was not able to get anyone in this year, though my webpage for Berkeley is still at the 'submitted' stage.

Although I did not apply there, my friend did, and they have informed their Russianist admits. However, it's a state school so there will likely be a second round of admits and wait list choices, etc. Also, although my friend got in, he isn't 100% going there which means a possible spot opening up.

Трудно ждать, трудно ждать, все рано нам приходится ждать. Ждем ждем ждем

Particularly suspicious since Harvard usually sends rejections by post.

If I had to guess I'd say someone probably emailed and was informally told they were rejected. Personally, I'm not going to start worrying until I see acceptances being posted.

как жаль. Not my best fit program but was hoping for some good news at some point. Что делать...только ждать...

You and I both. Haven't heard from a single school yet! Had an interview yesterday w/ Penn but I have no idea what their time table is. Oh well. Where else did you apply?

Желаю вас удачи и терпения.

Who can say?  Things have not been lining up like they have in previous years, unfortunately. 

Truth. 

Question for Harvard applicants? Does your application say anything like under review or something like that? I logged on to the portal where I submitted my application and all it says is submitted.

Truth. 

Question for Harvard applicants? Does your application say anything like under review or something like that? I logged on to the portal where I submitted my application and all it says is submitted.

It just says "Submitted"

I just checked all my applications.  They all say "submitted" or under review or something to that effect.  No links to anything else.  Maybe I'm still being considered. 

That's what I want to believe, but another part of me just says that rejections aren't priority and so they will post later.

Sigh. Checking in on a break from the job hunt, a parallel world of silence...

I was expecting to be gutted about Northwestern, but in a weird way, it's not a terrible thing being rejected from a school. The most annoying thing about looking for work is the number of doors slamming because of citizenship. At least with applications, we can polish our writing samples, take a new angle on the SOP, find a crucial detail to strengthen our research proposals over the summer... In so many ways it's out of our control, but there are a lot of opportunities for resilience, too. 

What's everyone else up to today?

Sigh. Checking in on a break from the job hunt, a parallel world of silence...

I was expecting to be gutted about Northwestern, but in a weird way, it's not a terrible thing being rejected from a school. The most annoying thing about looking for work is the number of doors slamming because of citizenship. At least with applications, we can polish our writing samples, take a new angle on the SOP, find a crucial detail to strengthen our research proposals over the summer... In so many ways it's out of our control, but there are a lot of opportunities for resilience, too. 

What's everyone else up to today?

Trying to focus on work. At least you've heard from somewhere. It really is frustrating when so many things are out of our control. At some schools if there is a major gender imbalance in some subfields they won't consider applicants of certain genders some years.

If I had to guess I'd say someone probably emailed and was informally told they were rejected. Personally, I'm not going to start worrying until I see acceptances being posted.

Post says "website"

I don't think it's 'suspicious' that some applicants will get decisions on days you don't expect or by means you don't expect. Or rather, I'm sure some entries in the homepage survey are fabricated, but the vast majority of them are probably perfectly honest. Therefore, I think discounting every report that seems slightly unusual based on past years' trends would lead to a more imperfect understanding of the admissions process than taking all self-reported results at face value.

Moreover, a look at the survey tells me that a lot of people were actually rejected by Harvard via the application portal last year, so I'm not even sure how much of an outlier the result in question is.

1) rejections came in a batch with letters

2) Harvard works on a batch system: the departmental committee makes the final decision, and then everything is processed at once.

3) "suspicious" doesn't mean "false". It means "suspicious."